Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is your favorite English or British royal of all time and why?  (Read 23250 times)
Mary Stuart

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2018, 06:55:13 PM »

Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester has always intrigued me. She was so independent, she didn't get married until she was in her thirties, she traveled the world. And by all accounts she was lovely.

I want to read her memoirs, but I don't have the time.

SvenskaSarah

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »

Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's second daughter, really fascinates me, as does her descendants and their links to the Windsors. I feel Alice was very close to her father (she married on the anniversary of his death, much to the annoyance of QV but I see the sentiment) and was lonely in Germany, I'd love to know more about her.
Also, prince Philips mother Alice of battenberg seems a totally fascinating character... If anyone has information on the two id love to hear it!
luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2018, 10:49:50 AM »

Princess Alice married on the 1st July 1862 not on the anniversary of Albert's death. She died on the 14th anniversary of his death in 1875 when her children were ill and she comforted one of them when telling him that his sister had died and caught the illness they had and died.

There is a good biography of Philip's mother (and the aforementioned Alice's granddaughter) by Hugo Vickers I think. There is also a good documentary - The Queen's Mother-in-law. Both give a fairly good account of her life and Philip was interviewed for both if memory serves correctly.
Blueskies

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »

Diana.  She started my interest in all things royal.  Very close second, if not a tie, QEII.  For her sense of duty and steadfastness from a very young age.  Couldn’t hold her in much higher regard. 
ElisaRose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »

I absolutely love Sophie Wessex. She seems kind and approachable, and has a warm relationship with QEII. I also like that she works hard and seems to have a lot of respect for the monarchy.

"I always had a dread of becoming a passenger in life.” HRH Princess Margaret
jolene

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2018, 02:35:35 AM »

I absolutely love Sophie Wessex. She seems kind and approachable, and has a warm relationship with QEII. I also like that she works hard and seems to have a lot of respect for the monarchy.
I want to be Sophie's BFF. 
SvenskaSarah

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »

Princess Alice married on the 1st July 1862 not on the anniversary of Albert's death. She died on the 14th anniversary of his death in 1875 when her children were ill and she comforted one of them when telling him that his sister had died and caught the illness they had and died.

There is a good biography of Philip's mother (and the aforementioned Alice's granddaughter) by Hugo Vickers I think. There is also a good documentary - The Queen's Mother-in-law. Both give a fairly good account of her life and Philip was interviewed for both if memory serves correctly.

Thank you for the book tip, and sorry I got the event wrong, I knew there was something on the anniversary of her father's passing!
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »

Diana.  Diana.  Diana.  Diana.  I feel as if I grew up with her, and she became a part of my life.  She was 'once in a lifetime' special, IMO.

Antevorta

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »

Anne Boleyn.  She helped to changed the religious and political face of Britain in a time where women had no place in religion or politics.  She birthed the greatest queen this country has ever seen (all due respect to HM). 

There was just something about her.
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »

prince albert, because he seems to have been a smart, cultured and competent man
schmichaelira

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »

prince albert, because he seems to have been a smart, cultured and competent man

OMG I love Prince Albert II of Monaco , and Albert I of Monaco too.... Did you read the biography of Prince Albert? I'm assuming you did not read the big one, in French, by  Isabelle Rivčre and Peter Mikelbank. I read that one. But there's another more concise one in English. Just type "Prince Albert of Monaco" in amazon.

I am geekyroyalaficionado on instagram&youtube
karma chamelion

Small Member

Henry 'Hotspur' Percy

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 05:49:53 AM »

Princess Alice, Queen Victoria's second daughter, really fascinates me, as does her descendants and their links to the Windsors. I feel Alice was very close to her father (she married on the anniversary of his death, much to the annoyance of QV but I see the sentiment) and was lonely in Germany, I'd love to know more about her.
Also, prince Philips mother Alice of battenberg seems a totally fascinating character... If anyone has information on the two id love to hear it!

Star I share your fascination with Princess Alice. I would like to recommend a book by David Duff called A Hessian Tapestry. Very well researched book about the Battenbergs and the GD's of Hesse, plus there are lots of rare photos. I've read my copy twice at least

But Elizabeth I takes it for me, she's the epitome of a feminist and that she was a successful feminist 500 years ago is really cool Beer

"The pen is mightier than the sword" - Edward Bulwer-Lytton
MarieQueenie

Warned
Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »

Among the young princesses, Mathilde of Belgium looks more classy than the others ans she was a natural beauty too, young. No diets, tons of make up or photoshop.

And real Polish-Belgian aristocrat.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:38:22 AM by MarieQueenie » Logged
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »

OMG I love Prince Albert II of Monaco , and Albert I of Monaco too.... Did you read the biography of Prince Albert? I'm assuming you did not read the big one, in French, by  Isabelle Rivčre and Peter Mikelbank. I read that one. But there's another more concise one in English. Just type "Prince Albert of Monaco" in amazon.

i should have specified that i was speaking about the prince consort albert, husband of queen victoria  Smiley
ps: about the princes of monaco albert I and albert II, i didn't read their biographies, but especially albert I for the little i read, he seems to have been a very interesting man  Yes
LarLa

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »

Right now Elizabeth I is tops for me although I've started looking back even further than her. She just seemed so ahead of her time in terms of being a strong woman at a time when women didn't have many rights and privileges outside of mother, wife, daughter or nun. Matilda of England is another strong female of the family I've been learning of lately.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: