Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Lace?  (Read 9082 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »

I've seen some commentary that the Habsburg lace veil was in evidence at Saturday's wedding between Imre and his American bride.  I know there are several amazingly beautiful lace wedding veils in various royal families.  Do you have a favorite?

Although so many features of royal wedding attire make their way out into mass culture -- how long did it take for knock-off copies of Kate's dress to start showing up in stores -- for some reason the use of a lace veil has not.  I wonder why?

Some of the royal lace veils of ancient and very fragile.  I would suppose that a lot of restoration has been done on some of them. And wasn't there some royal lace that was so fragile that it was mounted on backing and put within the panels of Mary's wedding gown?

Are there any royal brides who've had newly-made lace wedding veils? And what's the oldest lace wedding veil that any royal family still uses?

I think Queen Victoria wore lace from her wedding veil as flounces on her dress in later life and perhaps was buried in or with her veil. Any other romantic stories?

Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »

I believe MC's lace veil was new.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »

AFAIK the Belgian royals have been sharing their veils. I believe that Mathilde wore Paola's veil and tiara for her wedding in  1999.
episcogal

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:47:06 AM »

I think the lace veil is the most beautiful part!
Odette
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »

Victoria wore the veil Sylvia did when she married in 1976.  The veil does have a provenance, it originally belonged to Queen Sofia of Sweden and has been in the family for 150 years.

Bozhidara

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »

If I remember well infanta Cristina wore an old lace veil at her wedding.

I found this information about the veil: "Infanta Cristina's veil is one of the main stars of the show. It is a 19th century family heirloom that is owned by Spain's National Anthropology Museum and was restored for the wedding. It was once used by Queen Victoria Eugenia, Cristina's great-grandmother, as were the diamond earrings she wore".

http://orderofsplendor.bl...ay-infanta-cristinas.html
katerzzz

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Mary Who?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

If my memory serves me right, Queen Victoria was actually buried in her entire wedding trousseau; the dress, the shoes, the veil, the lot. And actually, you say about knock-off copies of Kate's dress, I've seen more brides wear copies of Pippa's bridesmaid get-up than I have the copy-Kate dresses. In UK bridal shops there's never a replica royal wedding dress in the window....

GIFSoup
Sooo cool
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Well, I think maybe one of the reasons you're not seeking a lot of knockoffs of Kate's dress in the U.K. -- although I have seen a number featured in U.S. bridal mags and shops (my daughter got married this year, so I was looking at a lot of both) is that cheaper lace looks cheap. I think it's harder to fake quality lace than just about anything else.

When I was married a number of years ago, my veil was a 10-foot silk lace mantilla my father bought for me in Spain. And it has been worn by a number of other brides in the family. I think it would be hard to fake in polyester or whatever.

I would love to see photographs of some of the royal wedding veils spread out flat so the patterns of the lace could be seen in detail. I'm sure that some of the heirloom veils we've seen the various princesses wear are of a kind for which there is no longer any living person who could create that lace. That's why I think they are such magical and precious things. The tiaras can always be reset, but I don't think some of that lace can ever be made again.  Has anyone ever seen the kind of detailed photos I'm wanting? 
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

If I remember well infanta Cristina wore an old lace veil at her wedding.

I found this information about the veil: "Infanta Cristina's veil is one of the main stars of the show. It is a 19th century family heirloom that is owned by Spain's National Anthropology Museum and was restored for the wedding. It was once used by Queen Victoria Eugenia, Cristina's great-grandmother, as were the diamond earrings she wore".

http://orderofsplendor.bl...ay-infanta-cristinas.html

It is a 19th veil but considering that Ena became Queen in the 20th century and she didn't have the greatest relationship with her mother-in-law (who was the owner of this veil) I doubt she would have ever worn it.

It was a veil for full court dress that the mother of Cristina's great-great-grandmother, Marķa Cristina of Austria, bought for her daughter's trousseau when she married Alfonso XII in 1879.

KittyHeaven

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:07 AM »

Well, I think maybe one of the reasons you're not seeking a lot of knockoffs of Kate's dress in the U.K. -- although I have seen a number featured in U.S. bridal mags and shops (my daughter got married this year, so I was looking at a lot of both) is that cheaper lace looks cheap. I think it's harder to fake quality lace than just about anything else.

When I was married a number of years ago, my veil was a 10-foot silk lace mantilla my father bought for me in Spain. And it has been worn by a number of other brides in the family. I think it would be hard to fake in polyester or whatever.

I would love to see photographs of some of the royal wedding veils spread out flat so the patterns of the lace could be seen in detail. I'm sure that some of the heirloom veils we've seen the various princesses wear are of a kind for which there is no longer any living person who could create that lace. That's why I think they are such magical and precious things. The tiaras can always be reset, but I don't think some of that lace can ever be made again.  Has anyone ever seen the kind of detailed photos I'm wanting? 

I must say that sounds absolutely lovely. I wish you could show us a photo. Whistle
Snow Queen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:18:19 AM »

If my memory serves me right, Queen Victoria was actually buried in her entire wedding trousseau; the dress, the shoes, the veil, the lot. And actually, you say about knock-off copies of Kate's dress, I've seen more brides wear copies of Pippa's bridesmaid get-up than I have the copy-Kate dresses. In UK bridal shops there's never a replica royal wedding dress in the window....

How in the world did they get the dress on her in thr pre-Spanx era?? Queen Victoria was a big old girl when she went to The Great Throne Room In The Sky.  Yikes
KittyHeaven

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »

How in the world did they get the dress on her in thr pre-Spanx era?? Queen Victoria was a big old girl when she went to The Great Throne Room In The Sky.  Yikes

OMG..Snow Queen!!!!.. Laughing Star

Actually I read that they just laid the gown over the old girl's dead body.
Lolly

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »

Victoria's wedding dress (and I think shoes) are on display at Kensington, so they may have laid her out in it and left it unlaced in the back.

Gurl was tiiiiiiiny when she got married!
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 05:30:06 AM »

Victoria's wedding dress (and I think shoes) are on display at Kensington, so they may have laid her out in it and left it unlaced in the back.

I was just going to say that it probably wasn't fastened in the back Star Great minds think alike Beer

All hail the future King Nobstante!!
Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Whorish Spanx
https://31.media.tumblr.c...ine_mzekcuA9Ln1snsa9a.jpg
Lolly

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 05:36:49 AM »

I was just going to say that it probably wasn't fastened in the back Star Great minds think alike Beer
Star Beer

I remember watching a documentary and they were talking about laying her out in her wedding dress and I'm all like: Blink Thinking Blink

The creepier thing was she was buried with Albert's dressing gown, a plaster cast of his hand, and a picture of John Brown.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: