Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Lace?  (Read 9323 times)
Odette
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »

Wow. Get buried with everything you might need.  Just like the Ancient Egyptians.  Maybe she was put into an oversized casket.  Blink
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:28 AM »

Victoria's wedding dress (and I think shoes) are on display at Kensington, so they may have laid her out in it and left it unlaced in the back.

Gurl was tiiiiiiiny when she got married!

I was just going to say that it probably wasn't fastened in the back Star Great minds think alike Beer
Star Beer

I remember watching a documentary and they were talking about laying her out in her wedding dress and I'm all like: Blink Thinking Blink

The creepier thing was she was buried with Albert's dressing gown, a plaster cast of his hand, and a picture of John Brown.

Is this docu on youtube? I've never heard of this. The lace veil, certainly - that was very well documented and is in every possible reference in biographies of QV; the plaster cast and dressing gown, believable, given her forty years of unceasing mourning... but I doubt very much that the family at large, let alone the new King, whose disgust for QV's affection and favoritism for the ghillie was open and well documented (even in independent biographies of her children), would allow the picture of Brown. No way.

That's not to say she didn't leave written direction about it (there was a memorial tablet at the Mausoleum of Brown... is it still there?), but I just hugely doubt it was allowed. There's only one way to prove it, and I suspect it ain't happening anytime soon. Wink

Lolly

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:16 AM »

Victoria's wedding dress (and I think shoes) are on display at Kensington, so they may have laid her out in it and left it unlaced in the back.

Gurl was tiiiiiiiny when she got married!

I was just going to say that it probably wasn't fastened in the back Star Great minds think alike Beer
Star Beer

I remember watching a documentary and they were talking about laying her out in her wedding dress and I'm all like: Blink Thinking Blink

The creepier thing was she was buried with Albert's dressing gown, a plaster cast of his hand, and a picture of John Brown.

Is this docu on youtube? I've never heard of this. The lace veil, certainly - that was very well documented and is in every possible reference in biographies of QV; the plaster cast and dressing gown, believable, given her forty years of unceasing mourning... but I doubt very much that the family at large, let alone the new King, whose disgust for QV's affection and favoritism for the ghillie was open and well documented (even in independent biographies of her children), would allow the picture of Brown. No way.

That's not to say she didn't leave written direction about it (there was a memorial tablet at the Mausoleum of Brown... is it still there?), but I just hugely doubt it was allowed. There's only one way to prove it, and I suspect it ain't happening anytime soon. Wink

Her doctor slipped Brown's portrait into her hand and it under some flowers. Wiki says that there was also a lock of hair belonging to Brown, and Brown's mother's ring. I'll browse around for the docu.
KittyHeaven

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »

Yes, I've read from several sources that she had Brown's photo with her when she was buried.

When he he died she had a statue erected of his likeness at one of her Scottish estates. Her son Bertie had it destroyed as soon as his mother died. Sad
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

Didn't I read somewhere that the BRF's lace christening dress has gone kaput and a replacement has been made? I think it was largely very very old lace that probably cannot be recreated.
CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »

Princess Beatrice of England married Prince Henry of Battenberg on July 23, 1885.       
Princess Beatrice wore the Honiton lace and veil which her mother, Queen Victoria had worn.
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »

Princess Beatrice of England married Prince Henry of Battenberg on July 23, 1885.       
Princess Beatrice wore the Honiton lace and veil which her mother, Queen Victoria had worn.

Yes Beatrice was highly honoured. Mama hadn't allowed the other daughters to wear it. Victoria's wedding veil was put over her face as she was laid out in bed after death, not in her wedding dress, though. She was dressed in a white satin dressing gown with the Order of the Garter. Some locks of her hair were taken.

Victoria left precise instructions. Certain rings were to be placed on her fingers, gifts from Albert and her children and John Brown's mother's wedding ring. In the coffin (which was almost as wide as it was long) were placed a cloak of Albert's embroidered by Alice, handkerchiefs, a plaster cast of Albert's hand, lockets, bracelets and a sprig of heather from Balmoral, under a silk quilted cushion. Then Victoria was laid on top of that.

Her doctor, Dr Reid, put a photo of John Brown and a lock of his hair in tissue paper inside a silk case made by her long term dresser, into Victoria's left hand and covered them with flowers given by Queen Alexandra. He did this after the family had left. Reid stated 'And my duties were over with the Queen after twenty years service'. (Just after her death he had physically examined her in private and discovered she had a prolapsed uterus and a ventral hernia!)

From 'Serving Victoria' by Kate Hubbard, pages 357, 360.
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »

I've read books that covered her childhood and up to Albert's death.  Will have to find one covering the years after that.  Any recommendations?
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

Several:
Apart from the first hits on google, I very much liked the bio on "John Brown" (Raymond Lamont-Brown), and Kate Hubbard's "Serving Victoria"...
More focused on Victoria are:
Elisabeth Longford
Theo Aronson
and there are even several by Sarah Ferguson!!
Maybe this page might help you? http://www.goodreads.com/...Best_Queen_Victoria_Books

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »

I've read books that covered her childhood and up to Albert's death.  Will have to find one covering the years after that.  Any recommendations?
I highly rec this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vic...+weintraub+queen+victoria
LDJJ

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »

Thanks fairy and editor, I'll definitely look into those.
Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »

I just got that book for CHristmas from Santa.  Smiley
CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 12:36:05 AM »

This veil was handmade for Princess Stephanie of Belgium for her wedding to Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria in 1881.      
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/43206477646280456
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: