Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The House Of Windsor:  (Read 17851 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 09:15:28 PM »

It’s kinda funny that, according to the novel, he’s supposed to be 25 years old  Tongue

But there will only ever be David Bamber’s Mr Collins to me (although I did kinda enjoy Lost in Austen).  Smiley

David Bamber was great, both ladies AND gentlemen will run at his Mr. Collins  Wink

Just as for me Colin Firth will always be THE Mr Darcy.

Fun fact the fountain scene in Lost in Austen was a copy of the lake swim scene of Mr Darcy in P&P 1995. There is no such scene in the book.
Watching that scene is some sort of Prozac cum Ecstacy for me. Works everytime and is better for your liver and kidneys. (not to mention entirely perscription free and quite legal)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 11:34:45 PM »

It’s kinda funny that, according to the novel, he’s supposed to be 25 years old  Tongue

But there will only ever be David Bamber’s Mr Collins to me (although I did kinda enjoy Lost in Austen).  Smiley

David Bamber was great, both ladies AND gentlemen will run at his Mr. Collins  Wink

Just as for me Colin Firth will always be THE Mr Darcy.

Fun fact the fountain scene in Lost in Austen was a copy of the lake swim scene of Mr Darcy in P&P 1995. There is no such scene in the book.

Exactly Principessa  Star and Harley

Matthew McFadyen was a decent Mr. Darcy in the movie, but I haaaaaaaated Keira Knightley in that role and I also hated that they gave her half of Mr. Bennett’s one liners.
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »

17th July 2020 was the 103rd anniversary of the change in the BRF's royal house name from the House of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha to the House of Windsor.

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
CurleySharon

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »

17th July 2020 was the 103rd anniversary of the change in the BRF's royal house name from the House of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha to the House of Windsor.

I wonder if their Russians cousins did something similar, would it have saved them the following year
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »

Nope, they were beyond saving.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2020, 08:45:47 PM »

I wonder if their Russians cousins did something similar, would it have saved them the following year
This should actually be in another thread but:
https://www.history.com/t...lsheviks-revolt-in-russia
After months of plotting, the Romanov family is assassinated by their Bolshevik captors.
https://www.history.com/n...-murder-execution-reasons

– Yoda
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »

People don't enjoy going hungry. They get upset and start revolutions (France, Russia) or fight for their independence (Ireland).
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2020, 10:12:20 PM »

People don't enjoy going hungry. They get upset and start revolutions (France, Russia) or fight for their independence (Ireland).
There were so many factors in Russia, especially the staggering number of  fatalities incurred by Russia (more than any other nation)  in WW1, that contributed to the revolution. Alexander Solzhenitsyn's "August 1914" is a masterpiece on that tragedy which Russia entered when it was woefully ill-prepared to do so, to honour an alliance. The uncertain outcome of WW1 played a pivotal role in determining the fate of the Romanovs despite their enthroned relatives across Europe and because of it. It is said that Queen Victoria as "grandmother of Europe" thought the alliances would lead to less conflict. Simmering resentments between the royal relatives viz. Wilhelm II against Nicolas II, instead paved the way to the calculated, pre-meditated butchery of the Romanovs to ensure that no Romanovs were left to mount a challenge.  

This reminds me so much of the the conflict in Sril Lanka. There were terrible reports of the capture and execution of a child of the/a leader of the Tamil Tigers. The child was captured, fed, then lined up in front of a firing squad and executed. The explanation was that he might grow up to avenge his father's death. The child's bullet-riddled body was found but culpability was denied by the likely suspects.

There was a book written on the "Wisdom of Crowds". A companion book on "The Depravity of Mobs" should be written: individual culpability superseded by group righteousness.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:42:33 PM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

– Yoda
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2020, 12:48:00 AM »

There were so many factors in Russia, especially the staggering number of  fatalities incurred by Russia (more than any other nation)  in WW1, that contributed to the revolution. Alexander Solzhenitsyn's "August 1914" is a masterpiece on that tragedy which Russia entered when it was woefully ill-prepared to do so, to honour an alliance. The uncertain outcome of WW1 played a pivotal role in determining the fate of the Romanovs despite their enthroned relatives across Europe and because of it. It is said that Queen Victoria as "grandmother of Europe" thought the alliances would lead to less conflict. Simmering resentments between the royal relatives viz. Wilhelm II against Nicolas II, instead paved the way to the calculated, pre-meditated butchery of the Romanovs to ensure that no Romanovs were left to mount a challenge.  

This reminds me so much of the the conflict in Sril Lanka. There were terrible reports of the capture and execution of a child of the/a leader of the Tamil Tigers. The child was captured, fed, then lined up in front of a firing squad and executed. The explanation was that he might grow up to avenge his father's death. The child's bullet-riddled body was found but culpability was denied by the likely suspects.

There was a book written on the "Wisdom of Crowds". A companion book on "The Depravity of Mobs" should be written: individual culpability superseded by group righteousness.

Indeed. I love your grasp (and many folks here) of history. The international culture of the board is incredible.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: