During the funeral it became clear Mabel was not just a fling of prince Friso. People knew it was serious when Mabel was allowed to enter the royal crypt together with the royal family and the sisters of prince Claus.
When entering the crypt Prince Friso supported his mother Queen Beatrix, they were followed by prince Willem-Alexander & princess Máxima, prince Constantijn & princess Laurentien, the 5 surviving sisters of prince Claus and Mabel.
At the death and funeral of prince Claus 5 of his 6 sisters were (still) alive.
Prince Claus was the second child and only son, his sisters were:
- Sigrid Jencquel (1925), married to Bernd Jencquel (1913-2003)
- Rixa Ahrends (1927-2010), married to Peter Ahrends (1920)
- Margit Grübitz (1930-1988), married to Eberhardt Grübitz (1931-2009)
- Barbara Haarhaus (1930), married to Günther Haarhaus (1921-2007)
- Theda von Friesen (1939), married to Freiherr Karl von Friesen (1933)
- Christina von der Recke (1945), married to Freiherr Hans Hubertus von der Recke (1942)