Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Memoriam: Prince Claus  (Read 13673 times)
IrishLass

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »

Prince Claus participated in the annual four day march of Nijmegen, an event for soldiers and civilians. July 25, 1967   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/173115003

An event that this year is canceled due to Corona.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nijmeegse_Vierdaagse
https://en.wikipedia.org/...our_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

Over the years I have several colleagues, friends and acquintances who participated in this event. But also some who just enjoyed the parties during these days, who supported the hikers and such (by food and drinks; cooling down with water; first aid etc.)

One of my American friends, a former Marine, participated in this event in 2014 and said it was one of the highlights of his life. :-)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2020, 09:30:37 AM »

Prince Claus participated in the annual four day march of Nijmegen, an event for soldiers and civilians. July 25, 1967   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/173115003

An event that this year is canceled due to Corona.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nijmeegse_Vierdaagse
https://en.wikipedia.org/...our_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

Over the years I have several colleagues, friends and acquintances who participated in this event. But also some who just enjoyed the parties during these days, who supported the hikers and such (by food and drinks; cooling down with water; first aid etc.)

One of my American friends, a former Marine, participated in this event in 2014 and said it was one of the highlights of his life. :-)

Nice compliment for the event and the involved people Smiley

I have never participated myself, but encountered oft participants in the train and such (when commuting for work and related). The atmosphere is in general amazing. People who help each other, both walkers and non-walkers. An acquaintance of mine, for example, voluntarily distributes fruit, drinks and the like to hikers almost every year (free of charge).

Past year in 2019:

The oldest participant in the Four Days Marches is called Lex de Jong. Mister De Jong has reached at the beginning of the year the fine age of 92 and "just" still runs on the 30 kilometers. The Deventer may rightly be a late bloomer
be called: he did for it first entered in 1999 and is now up for his 16th
reward. "I participate to keep fit!"

Unfortunately, he stopped the walking party because of a sore hip. That confirms his family. The resident of Deventer previously fell out of bed in the hotel where he is staying during the Four Days Marches. The result was a sore hip. Still he finished the second stage.

"It is great that he came across the finish line despite his hip on Wednesday. But he quickly said that he thought it was enough. We had already told each other that fun was the most important thing," says his daughter Josette.

De Jong participated for the sixteenth time this year. He walked out of the walking event fourteen times. Last year the Deventenaar also made a brave attempt to get the coveted Four Days Marches Cross, but he dropped out prematurely.

Catananche

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 12:47:55 AM »

We used to live quite close to one of the places the walkers went through. I used to get up really early, load the kid in the stroller and walk to a point where we could wave at the walkers for a while. People really enjoyed seeing a happy toddler wave and blow kisses at them.
Qua Patet Orbis

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:35 PM »

Prince Claus danced with Princess Beatrix at an international press ball in Amsterdam in 1973.    
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/159115439

The two of them were such a sweet pair.

This picture was taken in Suriname (Paramaribo) on the day that they de facto and de jure declared independence from the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1975.
Here is some footage of the dance: https://youtu.be/QmQ2ZNyz3x0?t=86  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:37:13 PM by Qua Patet Orbis » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 10:10:22 PM »

An interesting documentary about the Suranimese independance, reported from the Dutch side  Thumb up
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »

Prince Claus holds up Prince Willem-Alexander in September 1968   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/160482355
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »

An interesting documentary about the Suranimese independance, reported from the Dutch side  Thumb up

thx Princeppesa... how was Claus'Dutch? Did he have to learn it orhe knew Dutch language.

Did he die of parkinsons disease ?

Sorry. I dont know anything abt him.

Bea looked so happy in his presence

Thx.

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
anirac

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »

An interesting documentary about the Suranimese independance, reported from the Dutch side  Thumb up

thx Princeppesa... how was Claus'Dutch? Did he have to learn it orhe knew Dutch language.

Thx.

G Smiley
He had to learn the language and a slight accent remained, but he spoke much better than his father in law. And his first advice for Maxima was to learn Dutch very quick because than she will have it a lot easier to be accepted. His first Dutch phrases at ther engagement were poorly In an interview for ther Silver wedding Beatrix told the journalist that after they returned from their honey moon Claus instructed that no other language than Dutch was spoken at home. So that he could learn the language better. And the look of pride she gave him at this moment was just heart melting. Later he told that he also dreamed in Dutch, only when he had to calculate fast he did it in German still.

Sadly he died of a combination from Parkinson and pneumonia (that's what the official statement said)

What should I say: The most wonderful couple and my personal favourite  Blush Blush Blush
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:38:50 PM by anirac » Logged

I owe so much to my wife.You cannot imagine what I'm feeling.It's fabulous.Thank you,Beatrix.

Perhaps history will bear out that the choice of my partner was my best decision.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »

Thx.

G Smiley

I can agree with Anirac Wink Smiley

His wife and sons spoke in great pride of their husband and father!

Also at least one time, during a speech, Claus spoke loving and proud about his wife (who was present). The look on Beatrix's face, including a bit of her reacting behaviour, was soooooo cute!

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »

Here you can find the clip of the 1999 speech:

https://nos.nl/video/2157...%20Prins%20Claus%20Prijs.

Unfortunately I could only get the sound working, no visual images worked.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »

Royal Fashion Channel - Happy Moments!!! Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands (30 January 2017 uploaded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjnh0owoirA
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »

A nice overview article in Dutch (Nouveau 13-10-2018):

https://www.nouveau.nl/ar...aus-een-bijzondere-liefde

Roughly translated as:

BEATRIX AND CLAUS, A SPECIAL LOVE

Princess Beatrix and Claus meet in 1964. Their romance that will culminate in a marriage of 36 years did not start without a struggle. The Dutch people didn't like it that your heir to the throne lost her heart to a German. But they persist ...

Beatrix of Orange and Claus von Amsberg met in July 1964 at the wedding of Princess Tatjana zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Prince Moritz of Hesse.

Beatrix is intrigued by the tall, handsome and somewhat shy man who sits quietly among all those busy wedding guests, and Claus sees something in the cheerful, intelligent young woman from the Netherlands. With the help of mutual friends, they begin to meet secretly.

SMOKE CURTAIN
A key role is played by the German prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, brother of bride Tatjana and close friend of Claus. He ensures that he is regularly spotted with Beatrix, so that he is the one followed by the press.

This gives Beatrix and Claus the opportunity to get to know each other in peace. The diversion works so well that during a winter sports holiday in Gstaad in early 1965, the press concentrates entirely on Beatrix and Richard - while Claus is also there.

Around that time Beatrix and Claus must have made the decision to get married and if Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard Claus receive with open arms, Beatrix can not be happier.

The press smells that something is going on with the radiant princess and she is being watched more than ever.

FIRST PICTURE
And then it will be May 1, 1965. Photographer John de Rooy takes a few vague photos from the road of Princess Beatrix in the gardens of Drakensteyn Castle, warmly armored with an unknown man.

The photos are a thrill to the editors where they end up, but no newspaper dares to publish them. First, they want to know who the man is. But if the British newspaper Daily Express does print the photos, the Dutch newspapers decide to do the same.

It is soon discovered that the unknown man in the pictures is the German diplomat Claus von Amsberg. That news hits like a bomb. With all the anti-German feelings still alive at the time, many are shocked that Beatrix fell in love with a German.

That is sensitive so soon after the end of the Second World War, especially since it is clear that the young Claus was in the Hitlerjugend and the Wehrmacht (something he was obliged to do).

Research on behalf of the government will later show that Claus and his family have never sympathized with the Nazis.

The newspapers are full of reports about the relationship and dozens of letters sent in show people that they think Beatrix should relinquish her rights to the throne if she wants to marry this man.

ENGAGEMENT
But when Queen Juliana announces her eldest daughter's engagement, it becomes clear that Beatrix is not thinking about stepping down.

When a journalist asks if there has ever been a question of getting married without the consent of parliament (and thus losing her rights to the throne), the princess replies:

"If there is a division between my duty and my wishes, then for me personally the duty always comes first." She fully assumes that parliament approves her intended marriage.

When the engagement was officially announced on June 28, 1965, Queen Juliana felt compelled to assure the population, "It's all right." And Prince Bernhard adds, "I can't imagine a better person as a husband for my daughter."

TRUST
The young couple also discuss the unrest that their relationship has caused. "I can tell you that during our acquaintance and when we got closer to each other, we always had in mind: may we do this?" Says Princess Beatrix.

And Claus says about it: “I am aware of your feelings and of the difficulties that many of you face. I understand and respect this, but I will do my best and try to gain your trust. ”

Remarkably enough, Claus succeeds in winning that trust quite quickly. The fact that he speaks a few words of Dutch during the live broadcast from Paleis Soestdijk makes an impression.

It is not noticeable that he reads those words from a sign next to the camera, but is now clearly visible when looking back.

CLAUSE SHAKES WITH CONCERN
The official engagement makes up for a lot, but not all problems have disappeared. Amsterdam, the place where the wedding will take place, is a problem. During a cruise a week after the engagement, anti-marriage leaflets are distributed and even thrown into the boat.

Long live the republic and flags with the text "Claus raus" appear. Beatrix is not disturbed, but Claus is shocked by all the negative reactions. He even offers to break the engagement.

But Prince Bernhard intervenes: “Do you love her? Then you marry "r." Claus will say later: “To be honest, the engagement time was not the happiest time of my life. It was a difficult period that could only be endured by what existed between me and my wife. ”

WEDDING
As the date of marriage approaches - March 10, 1966 - the worst battle seems to be over. Claus and Beatrix were enthusiastically received during their introductory visit to the country and the clearly visible deep love for each other makes an impression.

Many people that day in Amsterdam cheer the bridal couple in the cold and rain. However, there are incidents. In the Raadhuisstraat, on the way to the Westerkerk, a smoke bomb explodes, which makes the world press, and there are confrontations between rioters and police, out of sight of the wedding procession.

When Beatrix and Claus visit the Westerkerk in later years - which they regularly do - more than once Amsterdammers come to them: to apologize for the unrest on their wedding day ...

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »

Official announcement of the engagement Beatrix and Claus by then Queen Juliana (and hubby prince Bernhard)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE75h5P4cKs
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 02:14:22 AM »

Royal Fashion Channel - Happy Moments!!! Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands (30 January 2017 uploaded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjnh0owoirA

thank you anaric and principessa  Hug   Star

beautiful images to love, and a loving family...I could not watch to the end, as I did not want to see his deterioriation...so sad.. Cry

thanks again.

G Hug

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:30 AM »

About 2 years ago I visited Bad Berleburg with a friend. Including the Schloss Wittgenstein – a Baroque stately home from 1733 with a museum about the princely house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

During a guided tour through part of Schloss Wittgenstein  we were alerted to a particular sofa. Nicknamed something like cuddle sofa. According to the tourguide Dutch visiters would probably know why.

It went on about the story that Richard of Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg served as a cover for the blossoming romance of Beatrix and Claus. That the couple would meet in his house and so. I guess Richard was a good friend of both.

BTW at the wedding of Beatrix and Claus, Richard met his future wife: Princess Benedikte of Denmark.

Richard greets Beatrix upon arriving in Denmark (1968)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: