Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wessex Family  (Read 509286 times)
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2040 on: October 14, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »

Louise looks great. Sophie and that skirt, no.

They are such palate cleansers.  Tongue

See now I love this skirt. In fact I like the whole look. Itís very ďcountry farm visitĒ.

Lady Louise is getting so tall and so grown up. Sheís definitely taller than her mum now and Iím sure she probably hasnít stopped growing. She looks tall next to Sophie but I donít actually know how tall Sophie is? 5ft5?

I see Ed is off on a jaunt to Malaysia and Australia. I wish Sophie would go with him to Australia at some point. They have never done a joint trip there. I guess it is quite far away and itís a long way to go and leave both children at home. Just a shame they havenít done it sooner.

They've never made a joint visit to Australia or to New Zealand, to the best of my knowledge.  Sophie seems to avoid them like the plague for some reason.  It's odd, as she's been married to Ed for 20 years now, and goes to lots of other places all over the world (with and without him).  

A number of reports say that when she was young, Sophie spent some time backpacking in Australia.  It was after she spent some time in Switzerland.  I have read that she was she was shacked up with an Australian bloke here for a while.  Here's a report that records she met an Aussie ski instructor in Switzerland and followed him to Australia and went back to England and started working in PR when that relationship ended: https://www.britannica.co...Sophie-countess-of-Wessex.  I suspect she is wary of visiting Australia lest some of her old Aussie pals decide to give her a rousing welcome at an event.  If this is indeed the case, I don't blame her one bit.

Thanks, Margaret.  Still find it odd, though.  She's been married to Ed for 20 years now.  She could have visited NZ some time (especially since Ed spent time here when he was younger) but never has.

Having re-read Michael O'Neill's interview, I find it odd, too.  Over-caution, perhaps.  I think Sophie was the first total outsider to marry such a senior royal and become an HRH and regularly perform duties on behalf of HM.  I say "total outsider" because Fergie grew up on the periphery of royal circles and her "past" was known about by The Powers That Be.  Sophie's was totally outside their prior knowledge and control, and an Australian to boot!  Who knows who and what might come out of the woodwork out here to cause embarrassment?!  Maybe there was some pre-marriage agreement reached that she would not visit Australia.  I agree that she could have gone to New Zealand though.
ronda

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2041 on: October 14, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »

There is really no excuse for not coming to Australia or New Zealand atleast once in the 20 years she has
 been a member of the royal family.
 If anything was going to come out when she lived here for a time with her aussie boyfriend it would have been in the press a long time ago and even more so these days with the internet.
The fact is no one really cares. She was single and enjoying her life. Yes, she is a mother but so are the other Royal ladies who have visited here and continue todo so and have been away from their children afew days or why not bring them with you? I just don't get it...

Smiley...Knowledge is Power...Smiley
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2042 on: October 14, 2019, 03:23:12 AM »

The Queen hasn't sent the Wessexes on a tour to Australia. That is the excuse. It is Her Majesty who decides which couple makes official visits - that is government to government level visits - and so far she hasn't sent the Wessex's here. I suspect, now that the Cambridges and Sussexes are on the royal roster the Wessexes won't be sent here. In the first decade or so after their marriage the Queen would visit herself or send Charles and then Charles and Camilla.

amethyst

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2043 on: October 17, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »

Sophie is in Kosovo today. she met with survivors of sexual violence and was clearly really emotional hearing their stories. love love love the color of her dress and the way the yellow flower brooch pops against it.

Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #2044 on: October 17, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »

Sophie is in Kosovo today. she met with survivors of sexual violence and was clearly really emotional hearing their stories. love love love the color of her dress and the way the yellow flower brooch pops against it.

Amazing trip. Good on Sophie.

A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2045 on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »

Nice dress apart from the weird cutout bit at the front which is just a tad to low cut for my taste.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2046 on: October 17, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »

Nice dress apart from the weird cutout bit at the front which is just a tad to low cut for my taste.

I donít like the dress at all, especially the weird cut out bit. Itís too similar to one she wore to Ascot a couple of years ago.

This one in Kosovo is a bit too revealing tbh.

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #2047 on: October 18, 2019, 01:08:07 AM »

Sophie is doing some great, great things in Kosovo. I wish it got more press. That's real advocacy work.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #2048 on: October 18, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »

Indeed without the cutout it'd be a lot better.

Still I love Sophie and think she's doing great and a real assest to the BRF.
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #2049 on: October 27, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »

Sophie was out carriage diving today.

https://www.dailymail.co....iage-grounds-Windsor.html

Do what you can, where you are, with what youíve got.   Teddy Roosevelt
Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #2050 on: October 29, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »

Edward and James

https://www.dailymail.co....gs-walk-Windsor-Park.html

Do what you can, where you are, with what youíve got.   Teddy Roosevelt
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2051 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....-Queen-nickname-mama.html

Sophie's nickname for QE2 is Mama.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2052 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »

I wouldn't call it a 'nickname' but a means of address.

Charles has used 'mummy' in public and 'mama' in documentaries.

It seems to me that this is what her children and children-in-law probably call her.

I wouldn't class 'mum' or 'mom' as a nickname and I would put 'mama' in the same category - old fashioned but the same meaning.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2053 on: October 31, 2019, 10:34:14 PM »

Mama is the normal and common name for mothers in a lot of countries and languages. In earlier generations in the german speaking countries the in-laws were also addressed with Mother and Father (or Mama and Papa), instead of the now common use of first names.
Perhaps QEII allowed this very intimate gesture? Because it is not a nickname at all, it is a name that QEII must have sanctioned.
I would never allow anyone but my girls to call me Mama or mom and I would not call my mother-in-law anything but her first name (I am far too polite to use one of my nicknames for her to her face)

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2054 on: October 31, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »

Considering that Sophieís mum died in what 2005 itís very sweet that she and The Queen have built an intimate relationship to where she may very likely consider The Queen to be a second mother.  Perhaps her mother was mum so mama isnít something she associates with her late mother. 

Basically no itís not a nickname but itís sweet and Iím glad they have that kind of relationship.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: