Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camilla News & Events  (Read 238534 times)
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: March 06, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

*boom*

Absolutely agree with Camilla. Not to mention, when women leave, the chance of their being murdered goes up. There was one such case in Los Angeles very recently.

The most dangerous time for women in relationships is when they leave. Also, one the top killers of pregnant women is homicide.
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #856 on: March 06, 2020, 08:40:36 PM »

If you had asked me five years ago I wouldn't have been so keen on a Queen Catherine and would have supported the idea I suggested but now I want a Queen Camilla (always did) AND a Queen Catherine and hopefully I will be alive to see both of these ladies crowned with those titles.

I can just see this 'equality' driven society deciding to make both male and female consorts have the same title - if they are forced to actually pass any legislation. Better to just let Camilla be The Queen.

I would also love them to allow daughters equal rights to inherit titles (but that is because my cousins didn't have the right to inherit their father's title as they were girls and there were no males so the title became extinct and it made me mad they didn't have the rights just because they were girls).

Star  Beer Beer Beer, luvcharles, on all accounts!

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
QueenE

Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: March 06, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »

*boom*

Absolutely agree with Camilla. Not to mention, when women leave, the chance of their being murdered goes up. There was one such case in Los Angeles very recently.

The most dangerous time for women in relationships is when they leave. Also, one the top killers of pregnant women is homicide.

How incredibly terrifying. My heart goes out to women who have been in those situations. That is heartbreaking.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: March 06, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »

*boom*

Just had an horrific murder/suicide in our small community. The woman had moved in and back out of the house with their two small children 3 times in a year and was gearing up to go again when it happened. Its terrifying to contemplate the dangers many women in abusive situations face. I very much appreciate the way Camilla flipped that question. “Stop asking why she doesn’t leave, ask why he won’t stop.” Man...yes!

karma chamelion

Huge Member

Henry "Hotspur" Percy Esperance en Dieu

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: March 06, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »

*boom*

How incredibly terrifying. My heart goes out to women who have been in those situations. That is heartbreaking.

Words can't describe the terror, especially when children are involved. It's not an easy issue to tackle, good on Cams for taking it up! My admiration grows.

We are made of the love of thousands.
LarLa

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: March 07, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »

This is such an important issue and good on Camilla for taking it on. We've had several heartbreaking situations in my home province in the last few years around domestic violence. The worst when a child was killed by her father because her mother had finally stood up for herself and left. The courts still gave him unsupervised overnight visits which was when he killed her (and tried to kill himself). Awful.
Lemon drizzle
Banned
Banned
Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: March 07, 2020, 03:03:20 PM »

It's just such a pity Camilla was upstaged at this event. This subject needs all the publicity it can get.
Queen’s Tea

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: March 07, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

Oh, how I wish I could say what I think without fear of being sanctioned!  I’ll put it this way - my estimation of the BRF (less a couple of members) has gone way, WAY up in the past couple of months. 

Camilla deserved to have the WHOLE spotlight! 
Lemon drizzle
Banned
Banned
Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: March 07, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »

I think we can all read your mind !!

In my case it's "less  4 members" . Queen, Pandy and 2 others
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: March 07, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »

Oh, how I wish I could say what I think without fear of being sanctioned!  I’ll put it this way - my estimation of the BRF (less a couple of members) has gone way, WAY up in the past couple of months. 

Camilla deserved to have the WHOLE spotlight! 

Star Queen’s Tea. Can we do something about the focus that was deliberately diverted from the event? Can we turn the "spotlight on"  Halo ?

– Yoda
Chandrasekhi

Big Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: March 07, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »

Here is the transcript of Camilla's speech:  

https://www.royal.uk/duch...iolence-wow-festival-2020

" A speech delivered by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall at the WOW (Women of the World) Festival, The Southbank Centre "

Charity begins at home. But so does domestic violence.  

"Three-quarters of violence against women happens in a place where a woman should feel safest – her own home.   And just imagine: one in four women in this country will suffer domestic violence in their lifetime.  One in four.  

I find it almost impossible to think that any friend of mine might be living under that horrific threat, without my knowing it, but that is the power of coercive control and violence in the home.  It is characterised by silence – silence from those that suffer – silence from those around them, and silence from those who perpetrate abuse.  This silence is corrosive; it leaves women, children and men carrying the burden of shame.  It prevents them from speaking out about the abuse and it prevents them from getting help.  And at its worst it can be fatal.

Through my work, I have talked to many women who have lived with coercive control and domestic violence and, thankfully, come out at the other end as the victors not the victims. They are some of the bravest people I have ever met.  Their stories are harrowing and have reduced even the toughest of their listeners to tears.  That is why it is so vital that these survivors should no longer feel any shame or any blame.

We all welcome the new laws on coercive control, but laws alone cannot change behaviour.  The dial is moving forward, but last year, two women a week were killed by a current or former partner in England and Wales alone.  Domestic abuse has devastating consequences on millions of lives.  We are in 2020, and still these abused people all over the country cannot feel secure and safe at home.  

What can be done?  We must bring this taboo subject out in the open and talk about it.  We all need to understand what coercive control is, how insidious it is, and how often it leads to repeated violence.  At a recent SafeLives event, Suzanne Jacob said “we need to change the conversation from,  ‘Why doesn’t she leave?’ to ‘Why doesn’t he stop?’”.  How right she is.

Of course, it is not only men who abuse and it is not only women who are abused.  Let’s not forget that this is a complicated issue.  And we need to acknowledge that society also plays a part.  Maybe it’s too simplistic to say that it fosters a culture of violence and early sexualization.  But the society in which we live is the backdrop for our behaviour. Young people don’t set out to become abusers.  We need to teach our young men and women what healthy and loving relationships are, and that it is never ‘OK’ to treat anyone with less than respect.    

The campaign to end domestic violence needs the voices of men as well as women, challenging the cultural, economic and political context in which we all experience the world.  We will all benefit from building a society which will simply not tolerate this heinous crime any longer.

For these reasons and more, it is absolutely fitting that “Domestic Abuse: Everyone's Problem” is the opening event of this year’s Festival.  As President of WOW, I must confess that I am delighted you have chosen such an important topic to focus on first.  I believe discussing domestic abuse is just one example of WOW’s ability to bring us together to talk about things that matter.  Each one of us must play our part and WOW can show us the way.

On this tenth anniversary, as WOW’s proud President, it’s a huge pleasure to be here today.  But I’m also here as a woman in her seventies, who (as a somewhat ancient technophobe) is not always familiar with some of the jargon younger people use today, but I do know about ‘hashtags’!  And now I am using my very first one:  #everyonesproblem

Domestic abuse is everyone’s problem and the solution must be too.  

And speaking of solutions, I can’t leave without saying a few words about Jude (who as we all know has a solution for most things!)  Without her vision, creativity and boundless energy WOW festivals simply would not exist.  She has the audacity and determination to bring together all the right people to make it happen.  Typically, she has praised the women and girls taking part in this festival as ‘fearless, inspirational, dogged, hilarious, modest...’ Can I suggest, Jude, that these words could also describe you...?

Thank you, Jude, and thank you all for making the WOW Festival the glorious success it is today.

And don’t forget: #everyonesproblem
"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:38:19 PM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

– Yoda
Bunnyette

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: March 07, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »

Those who know the value of what Royals can do, will have paid attention to what Camilla had to say.  Her work is rarely celebrated in the tabloids anyway.  They only care about shallow celebs & their latest antics.

Camilla will be a good Queen no matter what title she takes.
Bunnyette

Micro Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: March 07, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »

This is such an important issue and good on Camilla for taking it on. We've had several heartbreaking situations in my home province in the last few years around domestic violence. The worst when a child was killed by her father because her mother had finally stood up for herself and left. The courts still gave him unsupervised overnight visits which was when he killed her (and tried to kill himself). Awful.

I remember  that, they put out an amber alert & idiots were angry about being woken up at 1am (amber alerts are sent to all mobiles when a missing child is in danger) meanwhile that poor child was murdered.  So fantastic Camilla is taking this on.
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: March 07, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »

Nicely written speech. I like how she started with "her own friends" dealing with abuse because she makes it personal and implies that domestic violence has no social class etc and someone from "good family" can be abused or even abuser. Very important to stress this. And then she goes for a sensitive matter "early sexualization" and behaviour that being taught. Simple, clear words, very to the point speech over all.

Lady Liebe

Huge Member

Harlequin

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: March 07, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »

Thanks Chandrasekhi, for posting Camilla's speech.  Thumb up

I have always been thankful that this is one of her causes. She dove into it with passion and yes, I'm going to say it, maturity. Camilla has educated herself, and us, along the way. Good on her.

Not all heroes wear capes. Some of them wear scrubs. Some of them wear uniforms. And some of them wear what you're wearing right now. Dr. Amy Acton
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: