Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Languages....  (Read 10287 times)
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »

well im just curious to know who are the most multilingual royals, because so much privilege must come with a little bit education or not?
i know that every royal speaks english, but do the english royals speak only english?? f.e how many languages speak Waity, Willy, Harry, Liz, etc...Huh?
Because for example
queen silvia speaks german, portugese,swedish,spanish
vikkan: swedish, english, german
MT: spanish,french,german,luxembourgish
Queen sofia: greek,spanish,english,german and i think french
Maxima: Spanish, English,dutch
Well at least the euro-royals speaks more than one language, but besides Phillip, how many language speak the brits?? it isnt a shame?? if they only speak english???  Crazy What about Mary and the other royals besides their mother tongue and english, which other languages do they speak??
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:42:55 AM »

great thread Schoko  Star

Vikkan's German is abismal...I heard her speaking when she visited Germany, and I had hoped it would be much better since Silvia came from GER.

Letizia: Spanish, English
Flip: Spanish, English

King Mohammed VI (Moulay Rachid, Lalla Meryem,Lalla Hasna and Lalla Asma): Arabic, French, Spanish, and English.

Queen Beatrix: Dutch, English, German, French, Italian, and supposedly a little bit Spanish
Willem: Dutch, English, German, and Spanish

Queen Margrethe II: Danish, Swedish, English, German, and French
Dame: Danish, French, Chinese, and Vietnamese
Fred: Danish, English, French, German (although, I've never heard him speak it)
Mary: Bodanglish
Jokke: Danish, English, French, German (and that excellently)
Marie: Danish, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Alexandra: Danish, English, German (despite growing up and being educated in Hong Kong, Alexandra never learned to speak Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese)

Queen Sonja: Norwegian, English, and French
MM: Norwegian, English

Albert: English, French, Italian, German
Caroline: English, French, Italian, German

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:52 AM »

I have read that both Charles and Queen Elizabeth have passable French.
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »

well i thought flip has to speak greek, because of his mother, i know leti had to learn english, no idea how good is it now...
Does charlene finally learn french? Could Grace speak french Crazy
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »

Harald has very good English, mainly from his years in exile in the U.S. during WWII. He speaks English with a bit more of an American accent than do most of the other royals who speak English.
DowntownTO

Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »

MM also sounds American to me.
episcogal

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

I read that Grace spoke French and had a bit of a learning curve
CindyM

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »

great thread Schoko  Star

Vikkan's German is abismal...I heard her speaking when she visited Germany, and I had hoped it would be much better since Silvia came from GER.

Letizia: Spanish, English
Flip: Spanish, English

King Mohammed VI (Moulay Rachid, Lalla Meryem,Lalla Hasna and Lalla Asma): Arabic, French, Spanish, and English.

Queen Beatrix: Dutch, English, German, French, Italian, and supposedly a little bit Spanish
Willem: Dutch, English, German, and Spanish

Queen Margrethe II: Danish, Swedish, English, German, and French
Dame: Danish, French, Chinese, and Vietnamese
Fred: Danish, English, French, German (although, I've never heard him speak it)
Mary: Bodanglish
Jokke: Danish, English, French, German (and that excellently)
Marie: Danish, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Alexandra: Danish, English, German (despite growing up and being educated in Hong Kong, Alexandra never learned to speak Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese)

Queen Sonja: Norwegian, English, and French
MM: Norwegian, English

Albert: English, French, Italian, German
Caroline: English, French, Italian, German

Alexandra is also fluent in French.  It's mentioned in her official website. 

Belgium:
Queen Fabiola:  Spanish, Dutch, English, French, German and Italian.
Princess Mathilde (from the official Belgian website): Besides Dutch and French, the Princess speaks English, Italian and some Spanish

Paddy1311

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »

I've read reports that Mathilde's and Phillippe's Dutch is terrible. I don't know how accurate that is.
Cess

Large Member

Sweden Sweden

The future queen of Spain - so very dignified

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »

Leti: Spanish and Spanglish. 
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »

I've often wondered what it really means when people claim to be multilingual and master fluently several languages.  Thinking I've studied nine languages in addition to my mother tongue and I really cannot say that I'd be fluent in all of them. You can really only master your mother tongue and one other language IMO, the rest of them are more or less just scraping the surface. you might be able to come up with some simple sentences or you can read fairly well but that's it. There just isn't enough time to learn all the languages as well as one would like. I'm also not sure how the brain adapts to all the language information since there's a lot of other info too that it needs to process. It also depends on what the culture in your country is like. We tend to underestimate our language skills here but I know that there are many cultures where people tend to exaggerate them. Sometimes it's a big surprise when you meet someone who has claimed to be fluent in some language and find out they only know a couple of words and sentences.

I think I read somewhere that Vickan also knows French. I think she spent a year in France at some point, am I right?

Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

Juan Carlos speaks Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French and English, his sisters speak at least the same number of languages, IIRC the blind sister (Margarita) speaks 9 languages.
His English accent is not good, he learned the other languages as a kid but he started learning English later in life, apparently he refused to study English in school due to the effective anti-British propaganda in Franco's Spain, there's an anecdote of a lunch in Buckingham Palace where his father told EII to make him feel embarrased as he could only speak with her in French and not in English.

Felipe speaks at least Spanish, English and French, and it's very probable that he speaks Catalonian and some Portuguese.
Letizia speaks Spanish and English, she started learning French when she got engaged to Felipe but I don't know how that's going. It's also very probable that she speaks some Catalonian and Portuguese.

Cristina studied Greek and speaks at least Spanish, English and Catalonian (and probably French)
Elena at least Spanish and English (and French?)

LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

well i thought flip has to speak greek, because of his mother, i know leti had to learn english, no idea how good is it now...

Philip also learnt sign language as his mother was deaf - she was born in england and grew up in germany and england - she certainly communicated with her brother (lord mountbatten ) and sister (Queen Louise of Sweden ) in english. Not sure that Philip ever spoke that much greek - he left the country quite young.
LadyBunion

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »

Harald's english is excellent -

Loved the bit in the rehearsals of vikkan's wedding where she was chatting to her dutch and norwegian bridesmaids in english
lilith

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

I think I read somewhere that Vickan also knows French. I think she spent a year in France at some point, am I right?
She spent a year studying french in France. I've read somewhere that her problem with German and also French is that she has a mental block to speak, but she understands them well.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: