Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Languages....  (Read 10266 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »

Well why would FatAl speak german???
Fred doesn't speak any language correctly, I think he of all people has a blockade.
Never heard of that excuse for Vickkan. There is a story about Richard von Weizaecker, then President of Germany on a official state visit to Sweden, as a gift the german couple brought children classic books for the little princesses and prince only to hear from a rather embarrased Silvia, that none of the children was taught any german. Apparently the court found it much more advisable not to dwell on the fact that their new Queen had german roots.
I am also not sure why for some reason if a person speaks italian, spanish, french and portugiese is automatically assumed.
Happens very often, though very incorrectly.
Just because Marie for ex speaks french, doesn't mean she is fluent in spanish and italian.
About the Brits:
there are contradictory reports about QEII's german. While it is absolutely not true that she or her father had been raised in german, (their mothers from Queen Alex on despised the Germans for various reasons) QEII speaks some german. NOw there is a famous you tube clip in which she stumbles cringeworthily thru a very little german text, indicating that her german is at early beginner level, I have met some of her german relatives and they not only confirm that Philip and she had spent a lot of time visiting under the radar and unbeknownst to anybody, but also that her german was excellent to perfect.
So go figure....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Suzerain
Banned
Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Did you know some snakes have retractable fangs?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »

I think I read somewhere that Vickan also knows French. I think she spent a year in France at some point, am I right?
She spent a year studying french in France. I've read somewhere that her problem with German and also French is that she has a mental block to speak, but she understands them well.

Kinda like me!   I pretty much have a mental block speaking anything else than my mother tongue and English. The rest I can understand but speaking? Suddenly cannot anymore.  Crazy That's a great one, I must use it next time... "I'd love to but you see, I have this mental block..."  Whistle

lilith

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »

I think I read somewhere that Vickan also knows French. I think she spent a year in France at some point, am I right?
She spent a year studying french in France. I've read somewhere that her problem with German and also French is that she has a mental block to speak, but she understands them well.

Kinda like me!   I pretty much have a mental block speaking anything else than my mother tongue and English. The rest I can understand but speaking? Suddenly cannot anymore.  Crazy That's a great one, I must use it next time... "I'd love to but you see, I have this mental block..."  Whistle
I had the same problem with both English and German. But then I was forced to write and also speak both due to my job, now I don't care if my pronnounciation is 100% right, because I know that people understand me anyway. 
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »

I've read reports that Mathilde's and Phillippe's Dutch is terrible. I don't know how accurate that is.
From what I've read at other royal boards  the biggest complaint is their strong French accents. The posters making the comments were from Flanders and the Netherlands.

To be honest, I understand that once a person is past puberty it is very difficult to lose an accent. The vocal folds are not as flexible and it is difficult to recreate the sounds that would help a person pass as a native speaker.
Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

As a native spanish speaker, i can say that i understand a little bit of portuguese,catalonian and italian, french when readed, but really little, so it is a big fat lie to asume that if you speak one of this languages you are fluent in the others, but alas you can understand the meaning and it is a big help...

Ive learned german and english as a teenager(late), and i cant get rid of my accent, but f.e i know a lot of people who learned german in the early teens and they speak it without accent and without grammatical errors(allways my weakness in foreign languages), the best gift you can give your children is to taught them foreing languages from the beginning, so if silvia(who was bilingual native speaker herself) didnt taught her children at least one of her languages is a big shame, Vikkan lived for a while in berlin, and she understands german, but doenst speak it very well, another thing, if you speak german, you can read dutch and understand the meaning of the sentences...
I find it shameful that willy, waity and other royals dont speak anything but english... they are lucky english is the "world language" today, but how can it be??
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »

I'm also a native Spanish speaker and from the Romance languages I speak French and Spanish. I've studied Italian (not much, I passed the European B1 test of Italian over two years ago), I can read and understand simple Portuguese texts (like the website of the Presidency during F&L's official visit) but that's it. I don't speak a word of Portuguese and I would never say that I know Portuguese, I wouldn't count Italian as one of the languages I speak, either. It's true that it's not a difficult language for Spanish speakers (it's easier than French imo) and I know that I would have never passed that test (B1) for another language that quickly. That said the idea that a person speaks Spanish because they speak French or Italian because they speak Spanish or Spanish because they speak Portuguese it's absurd. It will always be easier to learn Portuguese than German for me, but I would need to study it, it's not another "dialect"

Juan Carlos speaks Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French and English, his sisters speak at least the same number of languages, IIRC the blind sister (Margarita) speaks 9 languages.
His English accent is not good, he learned the other languages as a kid but he started learning English later in life, apparently he refused to study English in school due to the effective anti-British propaganda in Franco's Spain, there's an anecdote of a lunch in Buckingham Palace where his father told EII to make him feel embarrased as he could only speak with her in French and not in English.

Felipe speaks at least Spanish, English and French, and it's very probable that he speaks Catalonian and some Portuguese.
Letizia speaks Spanish and English, she started learning French when she got engaged to Felipe but I don't know how that's going. It's also very probable that she speaks some Catalonian and Portuguese.

Cristina studied Greek and speaks at least Spanish, English and Catalonian (and probably French)
Elena at least Spanish and English (and French?)

I forgot to add that Felipe understands Italian, I don't know if he can speak it.

Schockobaerin

Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »

JC speaks italian because his mother was italian, and he was born there, the same with portuguese, he was raised in italy, spain and  portugal...
I thought, Queen Sofia spoke greek to her children am i mistaken??
i have the little suspicion that royals could speak more languages in the past than now, for example, queen victoria was fluent in german, english and french, nicholas 2: russian, danish,english,french.. Those russian royals were really funny, their court language was french and not russian Whistle The languages were a problem for anna anderson a.k.a. "anastasia", because dear anna spoke perfect german, and could understand russian, but anastasia spoke: english, russian, french and little german, Sissy spoke english, german and french before she married, and then learned hungarian, quite good for children who had been homeschooled without internet.

What about the present royals???
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »

I think like 200 years ago the parents expected the daughters to marry well and into nobility if they were noble. So they prepared their daughters really well by teaching them various languages. If the got the wrong guy (e.g. Marie Antoinette who did not speak French) they had to marry anyway and see where they went ....
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »

Given our global economies, I find it unfortunate that Henrik is apparently the only European royal who knows any Asian language and that apparently no one knows Arabic. That will come in UN handy in the future, I suspect.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

I believe the ever-impressive Duchess of Cambridge is fluent is Waitish, Shopian, Hairish, and Do-Fuck-Allese Snare
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »

interesting thread
i heard on TV prince charles in french and he speaks it correctly with his beautiful english accent, but what about his sons?
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »

I believe the ever-impressive Duchess of Cambridge is fluent is Waitish, Shopian, Hairish, and Do-Fuck-Allese Snare

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!

Star Thumb up

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Kiki LaShrewd

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

Don't forget Wisterian and Lichense!
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »

interesting thread
i heard on TV prince charles in french and he speaks it correctly with his beautiful english accent, but what about his sons?

I think William said something in French in Canada last year? I didn't hear him or know if he can speak it besides reading some sentences, though.

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

Don't forget Wisterian and Lichense!
Absolutely, she is in the "IVY"league of both....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: