Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate - The Photographer  (Read 48722 times)
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »

Kannot takes mummy pictures of her children. Her camera has a continuous photo feature and she uses it when she feels that children are doing things that are typical, interesting, precious, or adorable - like all mothers do. Then, when the photo session is viewed on the computer, 5% are 'good' and 1% of those look 'almost professional' and are good enough to share with family, friends and the public through the PR dept.

In that 1%, parents see that special facial expression -- the look in the eye, the tilt of the head, half-smile, tell-tale hand position of mood -- that only close intimates can read. It is that photo that records the child they know so well that they share with those who aren't privy to those most personal expressions. The photo is 'nice' but it falls flat with viewers. The parents are oblivious to their bias though friends will see some spark of the child in the photo.

A photographer interacts with their subject. A professional photographer attempts to keep the child comfortable in their presence while trying to intrigue them with objects that are known to them. The curiousity between subject and photographer is often the expression that is captured and brings forward the natural wonderment that is captured in a photo of a child, one that is expressed as a shy smile or amused facial composition. It is an ''A-Hah'' moment, without bias, that we all recognize.

By this point in time, the Cambridge children photos released to the public will be taken by the mother or grandmother because they have the time and opportunity. What you are seeing is the child's reflection of trust and interest in their most familiar photographers. And this may be a shift in the way that royal children are recorded photographically -- they know the photographer and are reflecting their familial connections in their facial expressions. The 'stranger' photographer has been removed from the photo session.

I won't fault the released photos of George and Charlotte because they are the only photos that will be released to the public. I keep in mind the relationship between the photographer and the subject when looking at the composition. In its own way, these are the 'best' intimate photos the public will see of these children. The photos are just like those we take of our children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, friends' children and the neighborhood kids on the days we decide to grab a camera and take a photo.

The alternative is none at all except for the standard public gatherings in the course of the year.
IMO
 Thinking

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:57:34 AM by PruNordstrom » Logged

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »

The Duchess of Cambridge is praised for her skills behind the camera by the Queen's photographer who says she could even make a career out of taking pictures

http://www.dailymail.co.u...rapher.html#ixzz49TjAisEn

Yeah, sure, like all the other things she's sooooo keeeeen on doing that she masters them without any training.
It's more and more satiric ... DM can't believe that this guy seriously thinks Duchess Blurrback is a pro?
periwinkle

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

Between you and me I think this is classic English humor dry and understated sarcasm. I think many people will read through the lines. I also think Kate deliberately holds back on pictures that show her children with a personality. She's going for more of the live John Singer Sergeant look like it's the gilded age again.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »

These photos show the difference between a photo taken by a parent (in this case, the father) and a photo taken by a professional photographer:

The difference is in the smiles. The smiles reached the eyes in the former but not the latter. The connection with a parent is clear. I don't see the connection in any of the snaps Kate took of her kids.

These are some good snaps by a mother with a better camera:

These show personality, interesting moment/situation, simple background. Kate's shots of her kids show none of these either. Maddie has far better instinct in photography than Kate does. 

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »

editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »

I think these are by far the best photos she's ever taken.
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »

So adorable little girl 
Kemenate

Mini Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »

Ich see the Queen
Aubiette

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2018, 10:57:39 PM »

Great pictures of a precious little girl but I don't care about fancy photography critiques, I just love seeing pictures. Preferably without a bunch of photoshop, filters, and bs. We live in a world where toddlers get photoshopped. Chew on that for a minute! Ridiculous.  Real mad
Katestolemyname

Mini Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »

As a professional, I feel confident to say that these pictures are okay, at best. Heavy PS and a clean background, makes it appear a studio kind of setting. Clicking these shots then isn't that hard,  really.

I have a feeling the photographer is only trying to please Kate, because there's no way I would say that Kate can make a living out of this.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:54:51 AM by Katestolemyname » Logged
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:57 AM »

^^^  Good to hear a professional's opinion.

I was going to say, as an amateur with a reasonable camera, that with a good DSLR and the right lens and some basic skills, there is no reason why Kate should not turn out good portraits of her children. 

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »

I agree, Margaret. Those pictures are nice, but then many cameras today are almost fool proof and the photo shop Programmes are fabulous.
Anyway, if you compare it to the pictures most of the Walmart and such Studios churn out it certainly is on the same level. I however hate to consider the people that snap those pictures "professional photographers".
In any case the little girl is adorable and the setting (pale, but interesting background and brightly dressed little girl) is good.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Katestolemyname

Mini Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »

As a professional, I feel confident to say that these pictures are okay, at best. Heavy PS and a clean background, makes it appear a studio kind of setting. Clicking these shots then isn't that hard,  really.

I have a feeling the photographer is only trying to please Kate, because there's no way I would say that Kate can make a living out of this.

Margaret, I don't know if that was sarcastic, but in my opinion, everyone can be a decent photographer with the right camera and PS. There's a bold line between decent and good, though Smiley

In my opinion, these pictures would look way better with a different background.
Lizardcandy

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »

I'm sure she is a sweet little girl but I honestly don't see the adorableness. Maybe I'm missing something though, I just think she's a bit weird looking. She's got an odd mouth and weird smile, and puffy baggy eyes.

The queen mum was a gorgeous little girl but a rather unattractive moon faced mean old snob as an adult so I hope char grows into her looks as an older child/teen/adult instead of the reverse.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 10:03:08 PM »

Margaret, I don't know if that was sarcastic, but in my opinion, everyone can be a decent photographer with the right camera and PS. There's a bold line between decent and good, though Smiley

In my opinion, these pictures would look way better with a different background.

No sarcasm intended.  I simply meant what I said.  Kate probably has a better camera than I do and she has had lessons.  She has two children and has probably taken thousands of photos of them over the years and should have honed her skills with portrait photography in that time.  In my opinion there is no reason why she should not be producing good photos.  Good as defined by amateur standards, anyway, which might equal decent in your terminology.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: