Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate - The Photographer  (Read 44440 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »

I am sorry to say that they are quite ordinary. That's the trouble with digital photography. Anyone thinks that because she or he can point and shoot, that she or he is a photographer. But it's all in the eye, not in the camera and I don't think Kate has the eye.
choux

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »

Quote from the Telegraph:
 "Itís also rumoured she photographed some of the stock for her parentsí Party Pieces company catalogue and website."
So not definitely true then?  Fancy that!

This 'keen' photographer is said to have taken these shots with a Canon G12 - this is a £250 compact not an SLR.  If you are a keen photographer and are rumoured to have worked as a photographer for a (albeit family) business you would surely use an SLR with manual controls???

My critique of the photos is that it's a shame she has removed the lush greens by turning several photos to black and white.  Isn't the amazing thing about the rainforest the depth and shades of colour?  Also if she was going to edit the photos after taking them the one of the palms - the most interesting in my view - could have been cropped to show only the most uniform parts of the image and create an abstract photo like the third image down on this page:
http://lislsukachevin.blo...ertrand-photographer.html

So no not wowed here either..    Roll Eyes
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »

The pictures aren't bad, they are just not phenomenal either.
And since everybody and their mother has access to fabulous pix of almost everything, those photos just won't cut it.
At least not outside the family circle. I could imagine that one or two of them might look very nice on a wall inside your home, where you can look at them and remember your trip. But apart from them, they look like the pictures that often come inside the frames you can buy at superstores, the pix you throw out to replace them with whatever you wanted to hang on your wall.

Alas if that waste quality of the portfolio, that she sent to Mario Testino prior to her marriage when there had been rumours, she would do an internship at his atelier, I am not surprised at all, that not even her infamous connection helped her land the job.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
lemongrass

Baby Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »

Perhaps Kate is trying to promote environmental awareness and the need to protect the beauty of the forests in Borneo.
just a serf

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »

Perhaps Kate is trying to promote environmental awareness and the need to protect the beauty of the forests in Borneo.

Well she's doing a TERRIBLE job

Kate's photo and caption

The Duke and Duchess flew over this palm oil plantation on their way to the research station. These plantations are vital to the production of many products used in daily life, from cooking to biofuels.

World Land Trust

http://www.worldlandtrust...bout/partners/leap-spiral

"Oil Palm plantations (above) are causing clearance of native forests and are unsuitable for wildlife;
WLT and LEAP Spiral are protecting strategically important parcels of native forests for Orang-utans and other wildlife."

http://www.flickr.com/gro...158660@N01/discuss/93944/
"The orang-utan is endangered because of habitat loss. Today the greatest threat to orang-utan habitat is the continued expansion of oil-palm plantations. Palm oil is the greatest enemy of [the] orang-utan and their continued survival in the wild."

Professor Birute Galdikas, Orangutan Foundation International

Kate should do a bit of that 'private research' we hear so much about  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:25:47 AM by just a serf » Logged

"I haven't played since I stopped." - Waity Middleton
"You only have it if you've got it." - James, Marquis of Mallow
choux

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »

Her photos were just reviewed on News at 10 in the UK.  The verdict was they weren't great and they actually closed the piece by saying she ' shouldn't give up the day job' 
just a serf

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »

Her photos were just reviewed on News at 10 in the UK.  The verdict was they weren't great and they actually closed the piece by saying she ' shouldn't give up the day job'  

It's backfired on both of them.

Maybe they could try working instead of photo ops?

Pictures of Willy or Waity seriously taking part and contributing at an event would go down well. Though they'd have to have some ability beyond shopping and lazing about.

"I haven't played since I stopped." - Waity Middleton
"You only have it if you've got it." - James, Marquis of Mallow
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:43 PM »

I'm going to go against the grain and say they're really not that bad; while not, as already said, on par with Ansel Adams, they're certainly better than Mary's weak attempts. I just don't care for her or Mary or other celebs going "See? See? I have a high end DSLR and I can take pictures! Looky meeeee!"

The question is, who does the editing after they're taken? I know Kate has the time, but one still needs to have a touch with Photoshop (or whatever editing program) to "finish" what are considered good amateur photos.

Suzy

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »

Well she's doing a TERRIBLE job

Kate's photo and caption

The Duke and Duchess flew over this palm oil plantation on their way to the research station. These plantations are vital to the production of many products used in daily life, from cooking to biofuels.

Kate should do a bit of that 'private research' we here so much about  Roll Eyes

I didn't notice the caption before but I actually wondered if she thought the palms were so pretty and took a photo or if she knew what problems these plantations cause. Now I know she has no clue .... again.  Real mad
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 01:45:45 AM »

I would have to differ. I found them vastly inferior to Mary's photos, which at least show people and some level of connection to them. 
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »

I liked the pictures, apart from the one with the gorilla and the shot of the blue cloudy sky.  Blush
Catherine concentrates on places rather than people; her focus is quite different to the focus of Mary's photos - which are people centred family snap shots.  

My favourites were the black and white shots of jungle trees, vines and water.
I could see a nice light about those and I could feel the remote majesty of the location.

Of course Catherine should not give up her day job.  
The photos are not prize winners but they are not embarrassing and her skills will improve over the years, particularly with critical feedback from public viewings.  Secret

Photography is a great hobby.  Thumb up
Molina

Mini Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 02:20:49 AM »

Let's see - judging from this article, the fact that you're photographed makes you a good photographer! Who knew??  Huh?  And what b.s p.r here - how often has Kate actually been to the Charity Room? I think she's been on holiday far more. I'm not blown away by the photos - although I think the plantation photo would make a nice tablecloth.  Wink

Maybe I wouldn't be so tough if she'd done more overall in terms of work. But these photos don't give her a career, or any substance, for that matter. And I think all the media sugar is a joke at this point.

getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »

Wow!

IAMdiana is really talented in mediocrity.  Thumb up  Crap

G Crap

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
le_modeliste

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 05:04:08 AM »

I like the palm oil one. The orangutan, well...

What really has me  Crazy is all the sugars insisting that we can't criticize them because they're personal photos. Um, this is the internet, and it's 2012. When you put stuff out on the internet, you are ASKING to be critiqued. Don't want feedback, then keep it in your nice private photo album and only bring it out to show the family.
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 05:59:45 AM »

I like the blue cloudy hills, but only because of the different blue colors. Even I can tell there is something not quite right about that photo, but I guess I can see why she took it in the first place.

I am the world's WORST photographer - for me "point and shoot" is me telling bf/friend/relative to "hey take a picture of that for me and email it".  However, I really like looking at stunning images that have been captured. Several times I have gone to the Wildlife Photography exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London and those are amazing images - even the amateur captured shots are incredible and well-composed, and some of those aren't necessarily caught on high-end equipment.  Kate's images are ok, but they look like photos of someone trying to be artsy, but not having the faintest idea of how you to that with a camera.  That orangutan one looks like a hairy palm frond sticking out of the tree.

Granted, we bag on Mary for the SLR in impoverished places, but if Kate was even moderately interested in photography as a hobby (especially for the years it has been rumored she has been) these should have been much better, even with a basic camera.  What else does she do all day?

Whatever the reason for this latest PR ploy, there is just the slightest whiff of desperation/grasping at straws starting to come from the new "power base"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: