Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First look at first official portrait of Waity  (Read 67716 times)
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2013, 12:37:15 AM »

Wow, thank you, Sondra Finchley!!   Thumb up

It was brilliant to hear of your first hand viewing at the Gallery.

tatty

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »

Ladies!

I have been to see the painting in person.  Honest to god the photographs in the press actually do capture close to what the painting looks like, despite what the painter and the detractors said.  It was close to what I expected, with the colors and light being a bit deeper than photographed, but the eye wrinkles and shadows are accurate. The technique is exquisite, however the subject he painted certainly was not.  No amount of standing back, standing forward, or tilting my head made her look any better.  She just looks plain terrible, and he painted what he saw.  I found it very difficult to look above her nose - something about the eyes made me want to avoid looking at them.

Since it was half term holidays in the UK last week, there were loads of kids about.  I overheard a bunch near me saying things like 'she looks so old" or "she looks really bad".  Ironically there is a HUGE sign next to the painting that says "NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED" - this is the only painting that has this sign next to it.  I really wanted to take a photo of the sign next to the painting!

It is hanging in a gallery with three other "recent acquisitions" - a glorious Julian Opie of James Dyson, a full sized painting of Judy Dench, and a video installation of David Beckham sleeping, by Sam Taylor-Wood.  The others are somewhat light hearted, which the one of Kate is very heavy and brooding (especially since the one of Dench is done in creams and whites)
Emsleys painting deserved to be in the company of those other artists, but it was his subject who clearly did not deserve to be hung amongst the others.

I don't know if this was discussed here, but this is an interesting Washington Post article on the artist and the process:

http://www.washingtonpost...2abd96162ba8_story_1.html

Thanks for the description Sondra. It's more lifelike than people realise. LOL

Not seen you around in a while, welcome back.

choux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »

Not an official portrait but i wasn't sure where else to put it... Bambi a graffitti artist dubbed the 'Female Banksy' painted this picture on a wall in North London to 'celebrate' the Royal Wedding.  For those of you unfamiliar with British Marmite - it's yeast extract, a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is reflected in its' marketing slogan: "You either love it or hate it." 

Here's a whole lot more portraits.  Please check out numbers 5 and 8.  The webpage won't let me insert the photos here but 5 is an hilarious take on the John Lennon / Yoko Ono pic below and No 8 is just.... ugly!
http://www.telegraph.co.u...te-Middleton.html?image=4

Future Crayon

Ginormous Member

Sophie Winklestan

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »

Hey, I finally saw the portrait today (it's on display in Bath for the next two months) and it's really not great. If anything, it's even more dead-eyed and creepy in reality.

The hair looks like airbrush, the face has weird grey shading and the whole thing looms from the canvas with this smug smirk/tense expression.

Kate kills trees, pass it on
LucyGoose

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »

Hey, I finally saw the portrait today (it's on display in Bath for the next two months) and it's really not great. If anything, it's even more dead-eyed and creepy in reality.

The hair looks like airbrush, the face has weird grey shading and the whole thing looms from the canvas with this smug smirk/tense expression.

FutureCrayon:  did Waity's eyes follow you around the room?  She knows what you have said about her! LOL
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »

FutureCrayon:  did Waity's eyes follow you around the room?  She knows what you have said about her! LOL
She only does that when you carry a paparazzi camera with you Cool

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2013, 02:32:07 AM »

Jumping Jumping
Eliza B

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »

Artist who created raunchy painting of pregnant Kate Middleton to be hanged... or at least his pictures are at the National Portrait Gallery

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.u...allery.html#ixzz2n7T4UUgd

Secret

I'm glad the National Portrait Gallery is so keen on their patron to show off their great respect(?) for her by hanging another portrait.  Somehow I doubt this will be included in his showcase at the Galley.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:23:38 AM by Eliza B » Logged
lyndell75

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »

Wonder what she's thinking

temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »

"I wonder who wore that first?"
DuchyDiva

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:41 AM »

I saw it in the NPG not long after it was done. Personally I thought it was lifelike, very smirky but then she is!
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: June 18, 2014, 06:39:22 AM »

Until I saw these fotos of Kannot this month, I didn't understand...

...where the expression came from in her portrait:

What exactly is that expression? Lemon sucking? Shifting her dentures? Unable to whistle?
All of the fotos were taken at the Garter ceremony.
The left foto was Kannot sitting with PC in the carriage.
The middle foto was her performing a squat/curtsey to the queen.
The right foto was her eyeing Willnot as he passed by.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Maybe its her idea of being Royal? I think she's a boring person so naturally she has a boring default face with a bored expression.

Also by locking her lips she can better maintain her fake accent.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »

Artist who created raunchy painting of pregnant Kate Middleton to be hanged... or at least his pictures are at the National Portrait Gallery

Secret

I'm glad the National Portrait Gallery is so keen on their patron to show off their great respect(?) for her by hanging another portrait.  Somehow I doubt this will be included in his showcase at the Galley.

It is actually catching her very essence:
Hand in hair  checked
Other hand in crotch   checked
No panties? checked
Hair hanging in face yep, checked

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Huge Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »

Secret

It is actually catching her very essence:
Hand in hair  checked
Other hand in crotch   checked
No panties? checked
Hair hanging in face yep, checked

WOW! This is hilarious that this is being displayed in he NPG?!? I wonder if Kate will make it a point to show up to view it, it has been a bit since she's reminded people she's patron  Spiteful

But, on a serious note it's more flattering in regards to her face than what's previously been displayed at the NPG of her.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: