Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HM's maternal family  (Read 9612 times)
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »

We know all about her Windsor relations, obviously; but very little about her Bowes-Lyon family. The Queen Mum had a ton o' siblings; does anyone know about the relationship HM had with these aunts/uncles and her many 1st cousins on that side? The only ones I've heard of are cousin Margaret Rhodes, who wrote a book last year and lives in the Windsor grounds; and 2 cousins w/mental illness who were shut away decades ago and apparently ignored.
I'm very curious about HM's (as well as Charles and Anne's) relationship with this side of the family.
tatty

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »

Good topic E@H  Thumb up  Star

To be honest, the situation with the cousins who had special needs really coloured my feelings towards QEII and the Queen Mother.

I know they're not what most would consider a 'normal' family but where I come from you never turn your back on family. QEII may or may not have known about them for a while but when the news did become public there was no move to communicate or ensure they were receiving the care they needed (the care home staff have said such I believe).

When I think of how Alex, Michael, Edward and Richard are all well, have lovely homes, enjoy abundant family celebrations, it really grates on me how the two cousins/nieces were treated.

I remember reading the articles about it at the time and I felt like crying because if they were my lost cousins I'd be there to make sure they were as comfortable as possible.

Aliza

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »

We know all about her Windsor relations, obviously; but very little about her Bowes-Lyon family. The Queen Mum had a ton o' siblings; does anyone know about the relationship HM had with these aunts/uncles and her many 1st cousins on that side? The only ones I've heard of are cousin Margaret Rhodes, who wrote a book last year and lives in the Windsor grounds; and 2 cousins w/mental illness who were shut away decades ago and apparently ignored.
I'm very curious about HM's (as well as Charles and Anne's) relationship with this side of the family.

I don't know if this fits into the information you're looking for (I don't know anything about HM's children's relationships with the Bowes Lyons) but here's some stuff I remember without looking through my books. (All packed away  Cry.)

~Then Princess Elizabeth must have been very close to her maternal grandfather:  According to Marion Crawford, one of the only times she ever saw Lilibet get emotional was on finding out he had passed away.  I believe she also wrote that this was the only occasion Lilibet threw herself into Crawfie's arms for a comforting hug while she sobbed on her shoulder.

~The degree of closeness during the two Princesses' childhoods must've been pretty high; until Prince Albert ascended the Throne, the Bowes Lyons all called him "Bertie, Uncle Bertie, etc" when in private.

~The QM did write in a  letter to Queen Mary that after her marriage, she had made a conscious decision to never discuss Royal Family affairs with any of her own birth family. (I bet her favourite brother, David, was an exception to that rule, but that's just pure speculation on my part.  The QM and Lilibet and Margaret adored him but Sir David Bowes Lyon appears to have been almost universally disliked (a nice word for it, lol) outside of immediate family. 

~Sir David Bowes Lyon, (the only sibling younger than the QM), was the namesake for Margaret's son, David Linley.

~I think perhaps the reason there doesn't seem to be too much connection between the Queen's children and the Bowes Lyon family could possibly be because of a rift when one of the QM's nephews became the Earl, he married a Catholic nurse from Ireland.  The QM never visited Glamis until her death and these would have been the growing-up years of the Queen's children.

Sorry, I know it's not much and pretty dry at that, but I don't want to post anything I'm not 100% sure about.  I need to get to work locating and uncrating all my BRF books.  If you're still looking for information and I find/verify material that has not been posted by anyone else, I'll post it here.  Hope this helped a little bit!

And BTW, I also think this is a great topic for a thread and I'm very interested in learning about this subject, myself.  The QM seemed to have had such an extraordinarily happy childhood and between her father's eccentricities and all the stories about Glamis, I'd love to learn how much influence or even contact the current BRF had with this part of their heritage.

~ Si vis pacem, para bellum ~
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

Many of the queen's maternal cousins have shown up. But likely the two best known are obviously the Ansons. John Bowes-Lyon, second eldest of the queen mum's brothers, was the father of five children. The second of which was Anne. Anne, by her second marriage became Princess Anne of Denmark. Her second husband was prince George Valdemar of Denmark. George was far removed from the throne, a great-grandson of Christian IX (his grandfather was Prince Valdemar, youngest child of the king. His father Axel in return was second son of Valdemar) and Oscar II of Sweden through his mother.

But by her first husband Anne had two children who were both connected to royal circles.

(Thomas)Patrick Anson, 5th Earl Lichtfield was a famous photographer. He did many royal shoots, including the wedding of Charles and Diana, and the queen's jubilee in 2002. He is right up there with Lord Snowdon.

Lady Elizabeth Anson is a party planner. She planned the pre-wedding dinner for the crowned heads of state, before William and Kate's wedding. And many other royal events.

http://www.telegraph.co.u...dding-plans-in-house.html

But there is Margaret Rhodes, the daughter of the queen mum's oldest sister, who served as lady of the bed chamber until her Aunt's death, and was bridesmaid to Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Margaret were each a godmother to one of her children, and Margaret was bridesmaid at her wedding.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:46:09 PM by PrincessMLA » Logged
Aliza

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »

Many of the queen's maternal cousins have shown up. But likely the two best known are obviously the Ansons. John Bowes-Lyon, second eldest of the queen mum's brothers, was the father of five children. The second of which was Anne. Anne, by her second marriage became Princess Anne of Denmark. Her second husband was prince George Valdemar of Denmark. George was far removed from the throne, a great-grandson of Christian IX (his grandfather was Prince Valdemar, youngest child of the king. His father Axel in return was second son of Valdemar) and Oscar II of Sweden through his mother.

But by her first husband Anne had two children who are to this day well connected to royal circles.

(Thomas)Patrick Anson, 5th Earl Lichtfield is a famous photographer. He did many royal shoots, including the wedding of Charles and Diana, and the queen's jubilee in 2002. He is right up there with Lord Snowdon.

Lady Elizabeth Anson is a party planner. She planned the pre-wedding dinner for the crowned heads of state, before William and Kate's wedding. And many other royal events.

But there is Margaret Rhodes, the daughter of the queen mum's oldest sister, who served as lady of the bed chamber until her Aunt's death, and was bridesmaid to Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Margaret were each a godmother to one of her children, and Margaret was bridesmaid at her wedding.

Isn't Lichfield dead?  I could swear I saw his obituary while in the UK in the mid 2000's.  I remember it saying that the QM had teasingly chided him over his choice of brides (one of the then-Duke of Westminster's daughters) telling him "we had her earmarked for Charles".  Gosh, I'll die of embarrassment if it was just a profile I read.  I always preferred his Royal shoots to Snowdon's.

tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

No his dead! His son now has the title.
Aliza

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »

Star and Thank you, Tigerben.   I would hate to be saying someone's passed away when it's untrue.  Phew!

PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

But by her first husband Anne had two children who are to this day well connected to royal circles.

(Thomas)Patrick Anson, 5th Earl Lichtfield is a famous photographer. He did many royal shoots, including the wedding of Charles and Diana, and the queen's jubilee in 2002. He is right up there with Lord Snowdon.

Isn't Lichfield dead?  I could swear I saw his obituary while in the UK in the mid 2000's.  I remember it saying that the QM had teasingly chided him over his choice of brides (one of the then-Duke of Westminster's daughters) telling him "we had her earmarked for Charles".  Gosh, I'll die of embarrassment if it was just a profile I read.  I always preferred his Royal shoots to Snowdon's.

Sorry, yes he is dead, he died in 2005. I just meant he is still quite famous or at least well known today, even after his death. I re-worded it a bit, to make it more clear, thanks.
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »

Star and Thank you, Tigerben.   I would hate to be saying someone's passed away when it's untrue.  Phew!

Star lol
Tinika

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »

Excellent topic! One very interesting member of the Bowes-Lyon family was Mary Eleanor Bowes, known as The Unhappy Countess.  Hers is a life story that would put most movies to shame!

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._Strathmore_and_Kinghorne
PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »

Excellent topic! One very interesting member of the Bowes-Lyon family was Mary Eleanor Bowes, known as The Unhappy Countess.  Hers is a life story that would put most movies to shame!

Yes, especially her interesting second marriage to a conman. She is the great grandmother of Claude Bowes-Lyon, the queen's grandfather.

Mary's eldest son it seems married his mistress the day before he died, to try and legitamize their son John, so he could inherit. He did, under Scottish laws, inherit a lot including a castle. But the title went to Mary's younger son, the boy's Uncle, instead.If John, the 10th earl and Mary's son, had been living in Scotland, Scottish laws would have allowed his newly legitamized son, to inherit. But because he lived in England, english laws prevailed. John, his son, died childless anyways, so the title would have eventually passed to Claude's grandfather. The money and estate the boy did inherit, passed to that branch later on, including a castle which is said to have been sold off, to help pay for the queen mum and then Duke of York's wedding.
Aliza

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »

Isn't Lichfield dead?  I could swear I saw his obituary while in the UK in the mid 2000's.  I remember it saying that the QM had teasingly chided him over his choice of brides (one of the then-Duke of Westminster's daughters) telling him "we had her earmarked for Charles".  Gosh, I'll die of embarrassment if it was just a profile I read.  I always preferred his Royal shoots to Snowdon's.

Sorry, yes he is dead, he died in 2005. I just meant he is still quite famous or at least well known today, even after his death. I re-worded it a bit, to make it more clear, thanks.

Princess MLA, I'm sorry and  I hope I didn't come across as trying to correct you; English is not my first language so it was very possible and probable that I had made a mistake when reading the obituary.   Star and thank you for being so gracious.

luvcharles

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »

Good topic E@H  Thumb up  Star

To be honest, the situation with the cousins who had special needs really coloured my feelings towards QEII and the Queen Mother.

I know they're not what most would consider a 'normal' family but where I come from you never turn your back on family. QEII may or may not have known about them for a while but when the news did become public there was no move to communicate or ensure they were receiving the care they needed (the care home staff have said such I believe).

When I think of how Alex, Michael, Edward and Richard are all well, have lovely homes, enjoy abundant family celebrations, it really grates on me how the two cousins/nieces were treated.

I remember reading the articles about it at the time and I felt like crying because if they were my lost cousins I'd be there to make sure they were as comfortable as possible.

The care home has said the exact opposite - it has said that the Bowes-Lyons' and the BRF have regularly made contact and checked up on them and that they also regularly receive gifts etc from their family.

The way these two members of the family were treated was normal for their class and the times in which they were diagnosed and then institutionalised. 

Sadly many of these institutions were closed by government orders and the inmates left to fend for themselves - and couldn't but for the very wealthy they could afford private institutions to ensure that their family members were still cared for - and these ladies come into the latter category - cared for and aware of their family etc.  I remember reading that whenever there was a royal event on the TV they would watch it avidly to see their family and boast about their relationship to The Queen etc.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »

Oh my, that tale of the ``unhappy countess.'' It certainly puts any of exploits of Princess Diana to shame.  What a skeleton in the closet!

PrincessMLA
Banned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »

Tinika mentioned her a few posts up. She definitely had quite the past, including a conman husband.  All families have skeletons, some just seem to have more than others it seems.  Snare
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: