Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece  (Read 37911 times)
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »

Re the pics above... as I said in another thread, now you know where Charles' ears from hell are from: Andrew!

debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »

Look closely at newsreels of the Coronation, and you might glimpse the solitary, upright figure of a nun in grey habit and veil, walking behind the procession.

Seated with the Royal Family, her unworldly simplicity set her apart. But how many people today would recognise Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece... the Queen’s mother-in-law?
[via]

Found this picture of the procession. It really looks imposing amidst all the tiaras, if I think about it:
http://lisawallerrogers.f...coronation-1953-focus.png

The coronation was held on June 2, 1953 and televised, at Elizabeth’s request, so that all her subjects could see her crowned. Twenty million viewers watched the seven-hour BBC-TV marathon. The ceremony began as the guests began their stately procession down the long aisle of Westminster Abbey, ahead of the Queen, to take their seats.

Prince Philip’s mother was among the guests. She turned heads as she processed up the aisle wearing a long grey dress and a flowing head-dress that looked remarkably like a nun’s habit! She had had it especially made for the coronation.
[via]

I found it interesting that although she appeared in a nun's habit during coronation, a few years before (during the wedding), she was strongly persuaded against wearing it.
Queen Elizabeth was understandably terrified that Princess Andrew would show up at the wedding at Westminster Abbey wearing her nun’s habit and embarrassing the family in a large way. The Queen pressed the issue with Philip. As a result, Princess Andrew appeared at her son’s wedding wearing a demure hat and a simple silk dress, which the Queen later described as “very pretty and most appropriate.”
[via]

This is what she wore to the wedding:
http://0.tqn.com/d/womens...ing-portrait-82032441.jpg
The photo's caption:
The two pageboys are Elizabeth's cousins, Prince William of Gloucester and Prince Michael of Kent, and the eight bridesmaids are Princess Margaret, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Lady Caroline Montagu-Douglas-Scott, Lady Mary Cambridge, Lady Elizabeth Lambart, Pamela Mountbatten, Margaret Elphinstone and Diana Bowes-Lyon. Queen Mary and Princess Andrew of Greece are at left front.
[via]
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »

I've only just read and realized just how intricate and impressive the logistics and funeral of Princess Alice was:

http://www.independent.co...nt-of-olives-1449620.html

For me, not being able to visit a family grave is unfathomable. I cannot begin to imagine the difficulties of international diplomatic proportion just to visit a parent's or an ancestor's grave. And to think that Prince Philip was once discouraged to even attend the funeral. It's sad to think about. I can't imagine not attending the funeral of my parents/etc (though I hope that long they may live).
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

Wow it seems like the members of the Greek Royal Family have found it difficult to visit many family graves throughout the later years of the 20th century. The graves at Tatoi and Princess Andrew's burial site make it difficult for the extended family to visit.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

I'm still shaking my head over the ignorance and barbarism of attempting to treat her mental illness by ``bombarding her uterus with X-rays.'' Yes, the ancient Greeks believed a wandering uterus was the cause of ``hysteria'' or mental illness, but Princess Alice was treated this way in the 20th century? If this was done to a royal princess, can you imagine the kinds of horrible treatment less well-connected women must have received?
tatty

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »

I'm still shaking my head over the ignorance and barbarism of attempting to treat her mental illness by ``bombarding her uterus with X-rays.'' Yes, the ancient Greeks believed a wandering uterus was the cause of ``hysteria'' or mental illness, but Princess Alice was treated this way in the 20th century? If this was done to a royal princess, can you imagine the kinds of horrible treatment less well-connected women must have received?

Mental health was still relatively obscure until just the past few decades. It's dreadful to think what happened to people in terms of treatment or being ostracised from society. Poor mites.

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »

It's a wonder the poor woman didn't die at a young age from some form of cancer after that kind of indiscriminate exposure to X-ray radiation.
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »

With son, Duke of Edinburgh, and King Peter II of Yugoslavia with Margravine Theodora of Baden.

--via ERHJ
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »

You can sure see from that pic a lot of Philip in William - a lot of the same facial structures.

Jonathan

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:21 AM »

Was Theodora Phillips sister

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:42 AM »

Was Theodora Phillips sister
Yes.
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »

You can sure see from that pic a lot of Philip in William - a lot of the same facial structures.
You're right, Lady Alice. I've never seen Willie's resemblance to Philip before (I actually think Harry looks a lot more like Philip in general), but I sure do in this photo. Yes
rs55

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »

With son, Duke of Edinburgh, and King Peter II of Yugoslavia with Margravine Theodora of Baden.

--via ERHJ

In this particular picture I think the Princess Royal is a dead ringer for her grandmother!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: