Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Baudouin of The Belgians (1930-1993)  (Read 40761 times)
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Emerald for May

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »

My apologies if this video has been already posted : The whole funeral ceremony of King Baudoin at the Cathedral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_QMeLBmIo

This is the first time I watch it and I am quite 'happily' surprised by the presence of Queen Elizabeth II with her husband and also both the Emperor and Empress of Japan! In my memories only Empress Michiko attended, as a very close friend of Queen Fabiola.
And the royal guests looks so young! Of course it was in 1993...

A very emotional service.
lellobeetle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »

Twenty-three years ago today...the world and, in particular, the people of Belgium lost an extraordinary servant King. Today marks the twenty-third anniversary of the shockingly early passing of King Baudouin I of the Belgians on 31 July 1993. The King died of a massive heart attack while on vacation at the royal couple's compound, Villa Astrida, in Motril, Southern Spain.  Sad

Here is a moving 8 minute clip of some of the royalty and world dignitaries highlights from his funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS8fmuKNObs

lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 03:38:35 AM »

Valentin Dupont in his Royalement Blog wrote about an interview in 1971 between King Baudouin and Mrs Margit Fjellman , Swedish Journalist.

English Translation

CyrilSebastian

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2017, 12:25:18 AM »

Baudouin's coronation in 1951     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk5ilS9X34
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:27 AM »

I read somewhere that Baudouin was the last living member of something called ``The Supreme Order of Christ,'' which apparently was an order of chivalry awarded by the Pope. Not something I could see Francis doing these days.

Anyway, I know he was a very devout Catholic and that he and the government had to work out a very complicated arrangement so that a liberalized abortion law could go into effect without his actually having to sign it, given his profound objection to abortion.

So I wonder how he would fare in 2017, when so much has changed throughout Europe with respect to hot-button issues relating to sexual morality? And what would it have done to him when some of the more hideous stories of Belgian atrocities in the Congo came to light? I often found myself thinking of him when I read ``The Nun's Story,'' a large portion of which deals with a Belgian nun in the Congo during the colonial days. Neither Belgium nor the church came off looking particularly good or enlightened.

So would a Baudouin alive today be seen as a man of conscience or as a wilful troglodyte? 
Ellie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 01:03:11 AM »

Personally I'd consider himself a man of moral conscience and of deep faith. I admire that in people.

Isn't the abortion story for Hans Adam of Liechtenstein? Not sure about Baudouin but it wouldn't surprise me (were I a monarch I would be unable to sign a law such as that myself), I know they expanded powers of the prince of Liechtenstein as well in the last 10 or so years.
TexasBear

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:25 AM »

I read somewhere that Baudouin was the last living member of something called ``The Supreme Order of Christ,'' which apparently was an order of chivalry awarded by the Pope. Not something I could see Francis doing these days.

Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Supreme_Order_of_Christ. The portion regarding Baudoin doesn't have a source...so....:shrug:
Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:52 PM »

No, the abortion story was about Baudouin.  I remember when it happened.  Henri of Luxembourg went through a similar legal situation a few years ago, and that's when the government removed the last of his legislative powers.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2017, 03:52:08 AM »

Watched the movie "Jackie" last night and was really touched and got a little teary seeing the real footage they used with King Baudouin walking in one of the first rows behind the coffin ( along with Prince Philip and others)
It was a good movie for the costumes alone.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »

I'll try to find that movie...was it on Netflix? Baudouin had a very deep respect for those who sacrificed for their country.

cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »

No, it was on our cable ( Dish) provider's  pay for view channel.
Natalie Portman plays Jackie Kennedy.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the West....and my Spirit is crying for leaving
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »

Thanks very much for reporting back, my friend.  I'll hunt around to see if I have any way of paying online to see it. I've seen a still photo of King Baudouin walking behind the President's casket, but not the video. Like I mentioned,  Baudouin was super respectful of veterans and those killed for their country. Every time he came to the United States, he tried to meet US servicemen from the battle group that liberated he and his family from a German property where they were held captive at the end of the war. And, I mean this went on for YEARS after WWII...well into the 1980s. He never forgot people, politicians,  veterans and royals who served and ir sacrificed for their country.

lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »

Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Supreme_Order_of_Christ. The portion regarding Baudoin doesn't have a source...so....:shrug:

I have seen mentioned about him being the last one of the Supreme Order of Christ, and it is absolutely no surprise to me. He was super chivalrous, and I'm not referring to in a romantic way. That is why I've always been ultra sugar for Baudouin and Fabiola. He was definitely more than merely old school...he was a throw back to a time of ultra civility. I've seen it even down to quite small details. There's a video where he's meeting with some women who were trafficked into Belgium, and he set up a council to assist those young women mainly from Asian countries, but at the end of the video, Baudouin waits until the woman with him can get to the car before he goes to sit down himself. He was highly respectful of others.

lilyrose

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:36 AM »

It's so fascinating watching the funeral of Baudouin. There are many familiar faces, though they all look much younger. Seeing QE2 and Prince Philip makes me sad that the British royals are so distant from their continental cousins now when a couple generations back, they were extremely close with the other royal families. I wonder if this is one of the most recent times that Queen Elizabeth attended any kind of ceremony for a foreign royal, and it was almost 25 years ago.

Baudouin seems to have come from that last generation of monarchs who tried to put their duty above everything else. It's a shame that some of his peers (and even his brother  Whistle ) could not emulate him. He seems like he was well liked.
lellobeetle

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 02:56:46 AM »

It's so fascinating watching the funeral of Baudouin. There are many familiar faces, though they all look much younger. Seeing QE2 and Prince Philip makes me sad that the British royals are so distant from their continental cousins now when a couple generations back, they were extremely close with the other royal families. I wonder if this is one of the most recent times that Queen Elizabeth attended any kind of ceremony for a foreign royal, and it was almost 25 years ago.

Baudouin seems to have come from that last generation of monarchs who tried to put their duty above everything else. It's a shame that some of his peers (and even his brother  Whistle ) could not emulate him. He seems like he was well liked.

His brother couldn't hold a candle to him. Please note, I'm a HUGE sugar, just so that you know where I'm coming from.  View my "fan" site... https://baudouin-fabiola.com/

And, this was the ONLY time QEII has attended a foreign funeral. That just speaks to how fine a man Baudouin was. I don't give my devotion undeservedly. The man was a saint - at least in my eyes. He definitely was human and had his faults...but he was one of the finest men I know of and certainly one of the finest royal men of all time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: