Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hapsburgs?  (Read 13899 times)
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »

Is this the right place to discuss this seriously weird lot?

Can't remember where I read it but is seems that the Hapsburgs believed that they are descended from Christ.

And only marry each other.

Please tell me I'm wrong

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »

I would guess this is the right place. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple of old Hapsburg threads on this forum especially with the recent weddings of Carl Christian and Marie-Astrid's three oldest children.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »

Jonathan there are threads for "Austria," "The Death of Otto von Hapsburg," and the wedding threads for CC and MA's three kids. Hope this gives you plenty of dish potential.  Wink
Pepperann

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »

There is a excellent book about the Hapsburgs Dynasty, called Hapsburgs: Embodying Empire. Any and everything that you might want  to know is in this book.  What's interesting about this family is  that have a rule book to live by and they apply it every aspect of their lives.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:38:17 AM »

Thank you Pepperann and welcome to Royal Dish. Smiley
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Welcome Pepperann, and thanks for the info.

I have become interested in this family recently. I'll look around

Cheers
xxx

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »

There is a excellent book about the Hapsburgs Dynasty, called Hapsburgs: Embodying Empire. Any and everything that you might want  to know is in this book.  What's interesting about this family is  that have a rule book to live by and they apply it every aspect of their lives.

Star for you pepperann

I'm loving the book. Thanks for the pointing it out yo me

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Pepperann

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »

Johnathan...I'm so glad that you enjoyed the book. Thanks for your warm welcome and also to Tllk. I wii try to post more. I love dishing and royal dish is the place to do it. Glad you had the opportunity to read this book. Tell me, what did you find most interesting?
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:53:29 AM »

Oh honey I am only half way through. It is gripping. They are so weird. I can't to see how we get to the last century or so Thumb up

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »

TRF is sharing two stories about the newlywed couples. Adelaide and Christoph give an interview about their wedding memories and what they are currently doing.  Kathleen participated in a Brussels "Youth for Life" march in late March and wrote an article about the event. Her article can be found at "Lifesite" news.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:22:21 PM by TLLK » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »

With regard to the history of the House of Habsburg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Habsburg

The House of Habsburg delivered among others (Holy) Roman emperors, Spanish kings and Austrian emperors.

The Spanish Habsburgs were known of their interfamily marriages (https://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Consanguineous_marriage). Marriages between cousins, uncles and nieces, etc. This had its influence on the genepool and subsequently effect on the mental and physical appareances of the Spanish Habsburgs. The last of the Spanish line, Carlos II (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain) who was severely disabled by genetic disorders, possessed a genome comparable to that of a child born to a brother and sister, as did his father, likely due to "remote inbreeding".
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

Sounds interesting. I have to see if can get this book.
Thanks!
Jonathan

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »

I got it through Waterstones online

£9.10

I am loving it.

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

http://jezebel.com/the-mo...amp;utm_medium=socialflow

In the English-speaking world, Sisi is admittedly a deep cut, as female royals go. If there's an Austrian aristo most Americans can name, it's Marie Antoinette, daughter of Habsburg empress Maria Theresa. (But of course, hardly anybody remembers the ill-fated French queen was born in Vienna.) Still, Sisi remains a byword for glamour, one that designers drop when they want to conjure opulence without the guillotines. Since her death, she's inspired a Barbara Cartland novel, a trilogy of beloved Austrian films, an entire cottage tourism industry and, oddly enough, Jessica Simpson's wedding gown.

Sisi was also one of the most famously miserable royals who ever drew a breath. She despised the snotty, formal Habsburg court and spent as much time as possible far from Vienna and her dutiful, plodding husband. Shy to a degree that was practically paralyzing, she loathed public appearances and dodged them whenever she could—far too often, critics said. She feuded endlessly with her adamantine-willed mother-in-law. She spent years drifting around Europe, writing maudlin poetry, bemoaning her (very, very privileged) life. She was a complicated, high-strung woman who emphatically refused to live by others' rules; unfortunately, she couldn't seem to hammer out her own code, either. Her story is a bracing corrective to every princess trope Disney has ever pumped into popular culture. And now she's remembered, by and large, as a pretty lady with a tiara.

History does strange things to dead women.

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Kristallinchen

Huge Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »

Sisi was surely shy in the beginning, but by the time she had given birth to Rudolf she slowly grew into her role - though not in the way the court expected her too. She could in fact be very demanding, if she wanted something. And she surely knew how to use her beauty as threat to her husband.

Also it's unfair that Sophie is largely remembered as Vilma Degischer's evil protayal of S's m-i-l. While Sisi chose to leave her children alone and played sick and depressive (though I don't doubt that she really was to some instinct) - Sophie was the one, who was a mother figure for Gisela and Rudolf and both were crushed deeply by her death.  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:04:11 PM by Kristallinchen » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: