Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hapsburgs?  (Read 57539 times)
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2021, 12:30:40 AM »

Leopold I became Holy Roman Emperor. His elder brother Crown Prince Ferdinand predeceased him. Sometimes Ferdinand is referred to as Ferdinand IV. Why is this?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »

Leopold I became Holy Roman Emperor. His elder brother Crown Prince Ferdinand predeceased him. Sometimes Ferdinand is referred to as Ferdinand IV. Why is this?

It is because he was already crowned as Roman King (Römischer König) and seen as successor of his father.
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2021, 01:09:45 AM »

It is because he was already crowned as Roman King (Römischer König) and seen as successor of his father.

If Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria had instead been The Holy Roman Emperor, am I correct that he would be Ferdinand V?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »

If Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria had instead been The Holy Roman Emperor, am I correct that he would be Ferdinand V?

Yes, you're correct. Thumb up

His father was both - Emperor Franz I. (as of Austria) and Franz II. (as Holy Roman Emperor).
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »

What If The Austro-Hungarian Empire Reunited Today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSE4PePmBk
castille

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »

Here is a short documentary on the Hapsburgs

https://youtube.com/watch...3XAwz-4&feature=share

CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2021, 02:12:21 AM »

When Maximilian II reigned as Holy Roman Emperor, he allowed the publication of Lutheran liturgy and even had Lutherans at his Court.   
What did the Pope and the Vatican officials think about this?
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2021, 12:15:40 AM »

In 1702, at the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession, Archduke Joseph (Holy Roman Emperor Joseph I) saw his only military service. He joined the Imperial General, Louis William, Margrave of Baden-Baden, in the Siege of Landau.
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2022, 02:40:59 AM »

A branch of the Hapsburg family ruled Spain from 1516 to 1700. The first monarch was King Charles I. The last monarch was King Charles II.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2022, 02:58:49 AM »

I always feel so sorry for Charles II; talk about not having a chance before he was even born!  I don't know how to embed images yet but a graphic of his family tree is mindboggling; the intermarrying (and interbreeding) came to their disastrous finale in him.

The Austrian Habsburgs did it right in this case; their motto was "Let others wage war; you, Happy Austria, marry."
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Habsburg

....The house takes its name from Habsburg Castle, a fortress built in the 1020s in present-day Switzerland by Radbot of Klettgau, who named his fortress Habsburg. His grandson Otto II was the first to take the fortress name as his own, adding "Count of Habsburg" to his title. In 1273, Count Radbot's seventh-generation descendant Rudolph of Habsburg was elected King of the Romans. Taking advantage of the extinction of the Babenbergs and of his victory over Ottokar II of Bohemia at the battle on the Marchfeld in 1278, he subsequently moved the family's power base to Vienna, where the Habsburgs ruled until 1918.

The throne of the Holy Roman Empire was continuously occupied by the Habsburgs from 1440 until their extinction in the male line in 1740 and, after the death of Francis I, from 1765 until its dissolution in 1806. The house also produced kings of Bohemia, Hungary, Croatia, Spain, Portugal and Galicia-Lodomeria, with their respective colonies; rulers of several principalities in the Low Countries and Italy; and in the 19th century, emperors of Austria and of Austria-Hungary as well as one emperor of Mexico. The family split several times into parallel branches, most consequentially in the mid-16th century between its Spanish and Austrian branches following the abdication of Charles V. Although they ruled distinct territories, the different branches nevertheless maintained close relations and frequently intermarried.....

....After the abdication of Charles V in 1556, the Habsburg dynasty split into the branch of the Austrian (or German) Habsburgs, led by Ferdinand, and the branch of the Spanish Habsburgs, initially led by Charles's son Philip. Ferdinand I, King of Bohemia, Hungary, and archduke of Austria in the name of his brother Charles V became suo jure monarch as well as the Habsburg Holy Roman Emperor (designated as successor already in 1531). Philip became King of Spain and its colonial empire as Philip II, and ruler of the Habsburg domains in Italy and the Low Countries. The Spanish Habsburgs also ruled Portugal for a time, known there as the Philippine dynasty (1580–1640).....

....Charles V (24 February 1500 – 21 September 1558) was Holy Roman Emperor and Archduke of Austria from 1519 to 1556, King of Spain (Castile and Aragon) from 1516 to 1556, and Lord of the Netherlands as titular Duke of Burgundy from 1506 to 1555....Charles was born in the County of Flanders to Philip of Habsburg (son of Maximilian I of Habsburg and Mary of Burgundy) and Joanna of Trastámara (daughter of Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, the Catholic Monarchs of Spain). The ultimate heir of his four grandparents, Charles inherited all of his family dominions at a young age. ....In 1516, inheriting the dynastic union formed by his maternal grandparents Isabella I and Ferdinand II, he became king of Spain as co-monarch of the Spanish kingdoms with his mother. The Spanish possessions at his accession also included the Castilian West Indies and the Aragonese kingdoms of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia. At the death of his paternal grandfather Maximilian in 1519, he inherited Austria and was elected to succeed him as Holy Roman Emperor. He adopted the Imperial name of Charles V as his main title, and styled himself as a new Charlemagne......Between 1554 and 1556, Charles V gradually divided the Habsburg empire and the House of Habsburg between a Spanish line and a German-Austrian branch. His abdications all occurred at the Palace of Coudenberg in the city of Brussels. First he abdicated the thrones of Sicily and Naples, both fiefs of the Papacy, and the Imperial Duchy of Milan, in favour of his son Philip on 25 July 1554. Philip was secretly invested with Milan already in 1540 and again in 1546, but only in 1554 did the emperor make it public. Upon the abdications of Naples and Sicily, Philip was invested by Pope Julius III with the Kingdom of Naples on 2 October and with the Kingdom of Sicily on 18 November.....The most famous—and only public—abdication took place a year later, on 25 October 1555, when Charles announced to the States General of the Netherlands (reunited in the great hall where he was emancipated exactly forty years before by Emperor Maximilian) his abdication in favour of his son of those territories as well as his intention to step down from all of his positions and retire to a monastery. During the ceremony, the gout-afflicted Emperor Charles V leaned on the shoulder of his advisor Willem the Silent and, crying, pronounced his resignation speech....With no fanfare, in 1556 he finalised his abdications. On 16 January 1556, he gave Spain and the Spanish Empire in the Americas to Philip. On 27 August 1556, he abdicated as Holy Roman Emperor in favour of his brother Ferdinand, elected King of the Romans in 1531. The succession was recognized by the prince-electors assembled at Frankfurt only in 1558, and by the Pope only in 1559.The Imperial abdication also marked the beginning of Ferdinand's legal and suo jure rule in the Austrian possessions, that he governed in Charles's name since 1521–1522 and were attached to Hungary and Bohemia since 1526...

....During his lifetime, Charles V had several mistresses, his step-grandmother, Germaine de Foix among them. These liaisons occurred during his bachelorhood and only once during his widowerhood; there are no records of his having any extramarital affairs during his marriage.

On 21 December 1507, Charles was betrothed to 11-year-old Mary, the daughter of King Henry VII of England and younger sister to the future King Henry VIII of England, who was to take the throne in two years. However, the engagement was called off in 1513, on the advice of Cardinal Wolsey, and Mary was instead married to King Louis XII of France in 1514.

After his ascension to the Spanish thrones, negotiations for Charles's marriage began shortly after his arrival in Castile, with the Castilian nobles expressing their wishes for him to marry his first cousin Isabella of Portugal, the daughter of King Manuel I of Portugal and Charles's aunt Maria of Aragon. The nobles desired Charles's marriage to a princess of Castilian blood, and a marriage to Isabella would have secured an alliance between Castile and Portugal. However, the 18-year-old King was in no hurry to marry and ignored the nobles' advice, exploring other marriage options.[105] Instead of marrying Isabella, he sent his sister Eleanor to marry Isabella's widowed father, King Manuel, in 1518.

In 1521, on the advice of his Flemish counsellors, especially William de Cro˙, Charles became engaged to his other first cousin, Mary, daughter of his aunt, Catherine of Aragon, and King Henry VIII, in order to secure an alliance with England. However, this engagement was very problematic because Mary was only 6 years old at the time, sixteen years Charles's junior, which meant that he would have to wait for her to be old enough to marry.

By 1525, Charles was no longer interested in an alliance with England and could not wait any longer to have legitimate children and heirs. Following his victory in the Battle of Pavia, Charles abandoned the idea of an English alliance, cancelled his engagement to Mary and decided to marry Isabella and form an alliance with Portugal. He wrote to Isabella's brother, King John III of Portugal, making a double marriage contract – Charles would marry Isabella and John would marry Charles's youngest sister, Catherine. A marriage to Isabella was more beneficial for Charles, as she was closer to him in age, was fluent in Spanish and provided him with a very handsome dowry of 900,000 Portuguese cruzados or Castilian folds that would help to solve the financial problems brought on by the Italian Wars....On 10 March 1526, Charles and Isabella met at the Alcázar Palace in Seville. The marriage was originally a political arrangement, but on their first meeting, the couple fell deeply in love: Isabella captivated the Emperor with her beauty and charm. They were married that very same night in a quiet ceremony in the Hall of Ambassadors, just after midnight.....Despite the Emperor's long absences due to political affairs abroad, the marriage was a happy one, as both partners were always devoted and faithful to each other.....The Empress acted as regent of Spain during her husband's absences, and she proved herself to be a good politician and ruler, thoroughly impressing the Emperor with many of her political accomplishments and decisions.

The marriage lasted for thirteen years, until Isabella's death in 1539. The Empress contracted a fever during the third month of her seventh pregnancy, which resulted in antenatal complications that caused her to miscarry a stillborn son. Her health further deteriorated due to an infection, and she died two weeks later on 1 May 1539, aged 35. Charles was left so grief-stricken by his wife's death that for two months he shut himself up in a monastery, where he prayed and mourned for her in solitude....Charles never recovered from Isabella's death, dressing in black for the rest of his life to show his eternal mourning, and, unlike most kings of the time, he never remarried. ....Charles and Isabella had seven legitimate children, but only three of them survived to adulthood
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2022, 08:28:20 AM »

^^ A serious case of inbreeding. In other words, kept too often and too much within the family.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2022, 09:02:35 AM »

I briefly dated a guy who was a history professor and who always claimed he was a member of the  Society for the Restoration of the Hapsburg Dynasty. But when pressed, he'd say he really was advocating the restoration of the Hapsburg chin . . . .
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »

I briefly dated a guy who was a history professor and who always claimed he was a member of the  Society for the Restoration of the Hapsburg Dynasty. But when pressed, he'd say he really was advocating the restoration of the Hapsburg chin . . . .

Laughing Laughing
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....g-car-driver-husband.html

Missed it, but apparently Eleonore gave birth to her 1st child: a son named Otto
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: