Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Areas named after royals  (Read 11962 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »

We are familiar with streets/squares/hospitals/organisations/etc named after royals.
But there are also many areas in the world named after royals, particulary in the colonial times.

For example the city Adelaide in Australia was named for Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort to King William IV of the UK.

The Australian states Queensland and Victoria were named for Queen Victoria of UK (GB)..
A lot of cities, and places over the world are named after Queen Victoria.

On Antartica we can find Queen Maud land. A region of Antarctica claimed as a dependent territory by Norway and named for Queen Maud of Norway.
Fragrance78

Large Member

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

In Malaysia:
Georgetown - a state capital of Penang Island, named after George III

debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »

I'm not sure if there's any place left in Indonesia that still bear the name of a Dutch queen/king/prince/princess/etc. But interesting! I shall find out.  Thinking

I know in Southeast Asia, the Philippines is named after Philip II of Spain....
that's it.

ETA:
There's a "sort of royal" Prince Wiraguna who lent his name to the area "Ragunan" (meaning the place of Wiraguna) in the South of Jakarta.
Actually he's a rich landowner of Dutch-descent, his name was Hendrik Cardeel. For services to a local Sultan (saved the Sultan's life, basically), he was given a royal rank and a royal name "Wiraguna". Prior to that, he was already given a rank of honor as the court architect.
--Wiki entry

Another area, Kemayoran (land of the Major) was named after a not-so-royal but very rich landowner, a Chevalier who arrived in Jakarta (then Batavia) during the Franco-Dutch war. His name was Isaac de l'Ostal de St. Martin, and held the rank of Major and sat in the Council of India. In addition to his deep interest in botany, he's also a shrewd tactician, politician, and soldier. His lands (now Kemayoran, an administrative district in Central Jakarta) were gained through various gifts from various parties he helped (yes, devide et impera rules the waves Wink )
--Wiki Entry

Also, the capital city Jakarta, was named after the Prince Jayakarta/Prince Jayawikarta, who held the city after an inter-kingdom war prior to the arrival of the Dutch. When the Dutch arrived, they seized Jakarta and renamed it Batavia after a Dutch city. After the independence the city gained back its name.
--Wiki
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:55:45 PM by debbydeb » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

The Canadian province Alberta is named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.

Another Canadian province Prince Edward Island was named for Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (1767–1820), the fourth son of King George III and the father of Queen Victoria.

The country Liechtenstein was named after the noble/princely House of Liechtenstein.

The Philippines were named after king Philip II of Spain.

The island of Mauritius was named after prince Maurits (Maurice) of Nassau, prince of Orange, a son of Willem of Orange.

In the kingdom of the Netherlands you have the following places:
Julianadorp - named after queen Juliana of the Netherlands
Anna Paulowna - named after grandduchess Anna Palovna of Russia, wife of king Willem II of the Netherlands
Willemstad (Curaçao) - named after Willem of Orange (Willem the Silent)
Paddy1311

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »

There is Queenstown in New Zealand, that was names after a British Queen. I assume Queen Victoria. But I could be wrong.
SJP

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »

- The State of Louisiana was named after King Louis XIV of France.
- The City of St. Louis, MI, was named after Saint Louis, King Louis IX of France, who also names the city of São Luís, Maranhão, Brazil.
- Saint Petersburg, Russia, was named after Tsar Peter the Great.
- Petrópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, was named after Emperor Pedro II.
debbydeb

Gigantic Member

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

These are the few that I learned during geography many moons ago, therefore I might be wrong. I try to check Wiki also.

- The dozens of places named after Alexander the Great; and various places named after members of his family and horse.
- Constantinople, after Constantine the Great
- Jaipur from Maharaja Jai Singh; and Jodhpur from Maharaja Jodha Singh
- Liechtenstein after Anton Florian
- Saudi Arabia from Muhammad bin Saud

Molly2101

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »

Apparently there are 8 lakes in Canada named after all of Queen Elizabeth II's grandchildren. 

"All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever." Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »

Haida Gwai, the area in British Columbia where the Haida people live, were named the Queen Charlotte Islands. They were named after the HMS Queen Charlotte, Lord Howe's flagship. (He was the first Lord of the Admiralty). His ship, in turn, was named for Queen Charlotte, who was thee wife of George III. John Vaillant's wonderful novel, ``The Golden Spruce,'' is set on Haida Gwai. If you love the art of the indigenous people of North America's Pacific Northwest, Haida Gwai is definitely worth the trouble it takes to get there.

http://www.civilization.c...orig/haida/haaindxe.shtml
christina01
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Play Time after a long day of Dishing.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »

here where I live, the list goes on. Queensland, named for Queen Vic, Adelaide, the state of Victoria, and so forth...
Mille

Gigantic Member

Denmark Denmark

Meary at the beach

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »

We have several streets all over Dk called Dr. Margrethes Vej (vej=street)....supposedly Dr. is short for Dronning (QUEEN), but Dr. is also short for doctor, right?

I always say Doctor Margrethes vej whenever I see the road signs Halo

I know...my sense of humour is a disaster Laugh bounce

"She isn´t wearing ANYTHING", said a young child

The empress shuddered, for she knew that they were right, but she thought, "The procession must go on!" She carried herself even more proudly, and the chamberlains walked along behind carrying the train that wasn't there.

H.C. Andersen
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »

Queen Victoria Market
Royal Children's' Hospital
Prince Alfred Hotel
Hotel Windsor
Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Lake Elizabeth - near town of Forrest
Her Majesty's Theatre (after Queen Victoria)
Royal Botanical Gardens
Alexandra Gardens
...actually, there are heaps of pubs named after Royals.  Beer
ronda

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

Queen Victoria Market
Royal Children's' Hospital
Prince Alfred Hotel
Hotel Windsor
Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Lake Elizabeth - near town of Forrest
Her Majesty's Theatre (after Queen Victoria)
Royal Botanical Gardens
Alexandra Gardens
...actually, there are heaps of pubs named after Royals.  Beer

Yes, there was even a " Duke of Windsor " pub/hotel in Prahran for many years too.  We are definitely
  surrounded by lots of establishments named after royals.  Champagne

Smiley...Knowledge is Power...Smiley
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »

I live in Maryland, which is named after Queen Henrietta Maria.  And my neighbor to the south is Virginia, named after the Virgin Queen Elizabeth.
whimsicalwriter
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:43:10 AM »

My dad use to love to tell people he grew up IN Princess Anne (Maryland)  Laughing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: