Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Areas named after royals  (Read 11964 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »

Have we mentioned MecklenBurg County and Charlotte yet? Both named after in "commemoration of the marriage of King George III to Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz"...
BTW, isn't Charlotte the one city that has more Queen's St.and Rds than any place in the world?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »

Queen Wilhelmina is honored in Arkansas.  We've stayed at the lodge, it's on top of the mountain in the clouds and a lovely getaway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...een_Wilhelmina_State_Park

Many of the railroad's investors were Dutch, so the lodge was named to honor Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, who was to be crowned in September 1898.

https://www.arkansasstate...een-wilhelmina-state-park

Located atop Rich Mountain, Arkansas’s second highest peak, Queen Wilhelmina offers some of the most breathtaking views in the state from the fully renovated lodge. Travel the Talimena National Scenic Byway to this park and its lofty setting. This site is as rich in history as it is in scenery.

https://www.tripadvisor.c..._Lodge-Mena_Arkansas.html

Named after a Dutch monarch, this renowned hostelry has a tradition of royal hospitality since 1898.

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »

Have we mentioned MecklenBurg County and Charlotte yet? Both named after in "commemoration of the marriage of King George III to Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz"...
BTW, isn't Charlotte the one city that has more Queen's St.and Rds than any place in the world?

Good point Fairy!  Charlotte is known as The Queen City, and it’s logo is a crown.

https://charlottenc.gov/C...%20Logo%20Guidelines.aspx

thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »

Good point Fairy!  Charlotte is known as The Queen City, and it’s logo is a crown.

That's my hometown! The headquarters of Bank of America is called the Crown Building by us natives, and there is a statue of Queen Charlotte outside the arrivals/departures area of the airport. I'm hopeless at posting photos but here's a link to the building: https://claforet.wordpres...-corporate-centers-crown/
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

That's my hometown! The headquarters of Bank of America is called the Crown Building by us natives, and there is a statue of Queen Charlotte outside the arrivals/departures area of the airport. I'm hopeless at posting photos but here's a link to the building: https://claforet.wordpres...-corporate-centers-crown/

My favorite restaurant in Charlotte is The Cajun Queen (royalty!). I found it while I was working for one of those behemoth banks. I hope it’s still there.....
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »

Queen Wilhelmina is honored in Arkansas.  We've stayed at the lodge, it's on top of the mountain in the clouds and a lovely getaway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...een_Wilhelmina_State_Park

Many of the railroad's investors were Dutch, so the lodge was named to honor Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, who was to be crowned in September 1898.

https://www.arkansasstate...een-wilhelmina-state-park

Located atop Rich Mountain, Arkansas’s second highest peak, Queen Wilhelmina offers some of the most breathtaking views in the state from the fully renovated lodge. Travel the Talimena National Scenic Byway to this park and its lofty setting. This site is as rich in history as it is in scenery.

https://www.tripadvisor.c..._Lodge-Mena_Arkansas.html

Named after a Dutch monarch, this renowned hostelry has a tradition of royal hospitality since 1898.

Thank you for this info  Thumb up
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »

Napoleon, Ohio
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 02:22:45 AM »

Zimbabwe's Princess Elizabeth Island was named at the request of Princess Elizabeth's father King George VI.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »

The second Virginia settlement was named Henricus after King James I's eldest son Prince Henry Frederick in 1612.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 12:28:31 AM »

Napoleonville, Louisiana
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 01:15:41 AM »

Avenue Louise is a major thoroughfare in Brussels, Belgium. The name was chosen in honor of King Leopold II's eldest daughter, Princess Louise.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »

Ha, old thread bumped up and again my question:
Has Maryland been named for Mary? And why isn't it bigger?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 10:44:19 AM »

Anna Paulowna is a village and a former municipality in the Dutch province of North Holland. The core has 7,980 inhabitants (2020). In a merger, Anna Paulowna became part of the municipality of Hollands Kroon on 1 January 2012, of which it has become the capital. In the Middle Ages, the area was part of the Frisian shire Texla. It was flooded several times until it was completely swallowed up by the water. The Anna Paulownapolder is the last polder created with private money in the Netherlands. The new polder then fell under the municipality of Zijpe; it was not until August 1, 1870 that the polder became its own municipality. In 1990 the municipality also acquired the territory of the Wieringerwaard and the Waardpolder and since then the municipality consists of more than just the Anna Paulownapolder. Anna Paulowna is part of the Noordkop cooperation region, also known as Kop van Noord-Holland. The polder is named after Queen Anna Paulowna, the wife of Willem II and mother of King Willem III.

Willemstad is a fortified town and former municipality in the municipality of Moerdijk, in the Dutch province of North Brabant. Willemstad is located where Volkerak and Hollandsch Diep meet. Willemstad's original name is Ruigenhil. From 1584 the name Willemstad was used, in honor of the murdered Willem of Orange in that year.

Willemstad is the capital of Curaçao and the former capital of the Netherlands Antilles. The city has about 140,000 inhabitants, making it the largest city in the Lesser Antilles. Because of the "Dutch" architecture, Willemstad is sometimes referred to as the "Amsterdam of the western hemisphere". However, the architecture of many characteristic buildings in Willemstad is not only of Dutch but also of Portuguese and Spanish origin. Willemstad was conquered by the Dutch in 1634. The city was then named after the later Dutch stadtholder Willem II of Orange.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »

Ha, old thread bumped up and again my question:
Has Maryland been named for Mary? And why isn't it bigger?

Wink

It was rather another Mary. According to Wikipedia:

George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore (1579–1632), sought a charter from King Charles I for the territory between Massachusetts to the north and Virginia to the immediate south.[63] After the first Lord Baltimore died in April 1632, the charter was granted to his son, Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore (1605–1675), on June 20, 1632. Officially, the new "Maryland Colony" was named in honor of Henrietta Maria of France, wife of Charles I of England.[64] The 1st Lord Baltimore initially proposed the name "Crescentia", the land of growth or increase, but "the King proposed Terra Mariae [Mary Land], which was concluded on and Inserted in the bill."

The original capital of Maryland was St. Mary's City, on the north shore of the Potomac River, and the county surrounding it, the first erected/created in the province, was first called Augusta Carolina, after the King, and later named St. Mary's County.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »

USA:

Maryland:
Officially, the new "Maryland Colony" was named in honor of Henrietta Maria of France, wife of Charles I of England.[64] The 1st Lord Baltimore initially proposed the name "Crescentia", the land of growth or increase, but "the King proposed Terra Mariae [Mary Land], which was concluded on and Inserted in the bill."

North Carolina:

North Carolina was established as a royal colony in 1729 and is one of the original Thirteen Colonies. North Carolina is named in honor of King Charles I of England who first formed the English colony, Carolus being Latin for "Charles".

South Carolina:

South Carolina was named in honor of King Charles I of England, who first formed the English colony, with Carolus being Latin for "Charles". South Carolina became the eighth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution on May 23, 1788.

Louisiana:

Louisiana was named after Louis XIV, King of France from 1643 to 1715.

Virginia:

In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted Walter Raleigh a charter to plant a colony north of Spanish Florida. In 1584, Raleigh sent an expedition to the Atlantic coast of North America. The name "Virginia" may have been suggested then by Raleigh or Elizabeth, perhaps noting her status as the "Virgin Queen", and may also be related to a native phrase, "Wingandacoa", or name, "Wingina".[78] Initially the name applied to the entire coastal region from South Carolina to Maine, plus the island of Bermuda

West-Virginia:

See Virginia. West Virginia became a state after the Wheeling Conventions of 1861, at the start of the American Civil War. Delegates from northwestern Virginia's Unionist counties decided to break away from Virginia, which also included secessionist counties in the new state. West Virginia was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863, and was a key border state during the war.

Canada:

Alberta:

Alberta was named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta (1848–1939),[20] the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Princess Louise was the wife of John Campbell, Marquess of Lorne, Governor General of Canada (1878–83). Lake Louise and Mount Alberta were also named in her honour. The name "Alberta" itself is a feminine Latinized form of the name Albert (cf. Medieval Latin: Albertus, masculine) and its Germanic cognates, ultimately derived from Proto-Germanic *Aþalaberhtaz (compound of "noble" + "bright/famous").

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan

Prince Albert is the third-largest city in Saskatchewan, Canada, after Saskatoon and Regina. The community received a boost in 1866 when Reverend James Nisbet, a Canada Presbyterian Church minister arrived to establish a mission for the Cree. Nisbet named the mission after Albert, Prince Consort, husband of Queen Victoria who had died in 1861, from which the present city derives its name.

Regina, Saskatchewan

Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, wife of the then Governor General of Canada, named the new community Regina, in honour of her mother, Queen Victoria.

Windsor, Ontario

In 1797, after the American Revolution, the settlement of "Sandwich" was established. It was later renamed Windsor, after the town in Berkshire, England.

Kingston, Ontario

A number of origins of "Cataraqui", Kingston's original name, have been postulated. One theory is that it is derived from the Iroquois word that means "the place where one hides".[5] The name may also be a derivation of Indigenous words that mean "impregnable", "muddy river", "place of retreat", "clay bank rising out of the water", "where the rivers and lake meet", or "rocks standing in water". Cataraqui was referred to as "the King's Town" or "King's Town" by 1787, in honour of King George III. The name was shortened to "Kingston" in 1788

Victoriaville, Quebec

The municipality of Victoriaville itself was created on May 8, 1861, named to honour Queen Victoria, the reigning monarch at the time. Victoriaville became a full-fledged town in 1890, having reached a population of 1,000.

Victoria, British Columbia

named after Queen Victoria

Vancouver, British Columbia

The city is named after the English captain George Vancouver, a descendant of the Dutch noble family Van Coeverden. He explored much of British Columbia in the eighteenth century.

Prince George, British Columbia

The origins of Prince George can be traced to the North West Company fur trading post of Fort George, which was established in 1807 by Simon Fraser and named in honour of King George III.

Dauphin, Manitoba

Dauphin is a city in Manitoba, Canada. The nearby lake was given the name "Dauphin" by the explorer Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye in 1741 in honour of the heir to the French throne.Settlers began arriving in the area in 1883 and two early settlements, Gartmore and "Old Dauphin" were established. With the coming of the railway in 1896 – the line ran roughly halfway between the two villages – settlement shifted to the present site.

Churchill, Manitoba

named after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, who was governor of the Hudson's Bay Company in the late 17th century.

Sydney, Nova Scotia

Sydney was founded after the war by Colonel Joseph Frederick Wallet DesBarres, and named in honour of Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney

Kentville, Nova Scotia

The town was originally known as Horton's Corner, but was named Kentville in 1826 after Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent (son of King George III and father of Queen Victoria), who resided in Nova Scotia from 1794 to 1800.

Halifax, Nova Scotia

named after the 2nd Earl of Halifax. George Montagu-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax, KG, PC (6 October 1716 – 8 June 1771) was a British statesman of the Georgian era. Due to his success in extending American commerce he became known as "father of the colonies". President of the Board of Trade from 1748 to 1761, he aided the foundation of Nova Scotia, 1749, the capital Halifax being named after him.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: