Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Genealogy Thread  (Read 1114 times)
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Northern Parula

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2020, 05:34:43 AM »

ge·ne·al·o·gy:

a line of descent traced continuously from an ancestor: combing through the birth records and genealogies.

• the study and tracing of lines of descent or development.

A thread for anything and everything related to genealogy.

Related to royalty - post it here.

Want to begin to trace your family tree - several poster can help you get started.

Hit that proverbial brick wall?  - post your frustrations here.

Just want to chat about who your ancestors are - post it here.

Had your DNA analyzed for nationality? Post it here.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:40:33 AM by Lady Liebe » Logged

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:45:39 AM »

Perfect, thanks so much Lady Liebe! Star Beer
I am here to help and I love to dig. Even if you only have one name and a general idea of where/when they were born (doesn't have to be exact) you can get started.
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »

Thanks for this!

Like KC, I’m on ancestry.com and I’m opening up my research abilities to help anyone and everyone.

I’m fortunate that my family came through Philadelphia - the records are terrific and well maintained.  I have Irish ancestry, + Irish by way of Scotland, English (Lincolnshire/London), German,  and separately Danubeschwaben, which is “Germans on the Danube”.  Their story is amazing. 

Danubeschwaben emigrated from Württemberg to Hungary at the invitation of Empress Maria Theresa.  The Hungarian breadbasket lands had been depopulated by endless wars with the Turks, and Maria Theresa made offers of land grants, religious freedom and exemption from mandatory military service to resettle the area.  About 300 families came from Württemberg to a five-county area from the 1740s to the 1780s.  The area is now part of Serbia.  My entire family remaining in that part of the world were wiped out by the Soviets in 1945 via executions (the men), new concentration camps (the old and the children),and Soviet labor camps (the women).  Yes, a new concentration camp in 1945, after the end of WWII, with the tacit permission of the US government.

In addition to descent from John of Gaunt, my family tree includes poet Percy Bysshe Shelley.

Other than that, we’re pretty ordinary.  Working class, my dad was the first generation in his family and my mom in her family to graduate college and enter the professional classes instead of working class.

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »

Thanks for this!

Like KC, I’m on ancestry.com and I’m opening up my research abilities to help anyone and everyone.

I’m fortunate that my family came through Philadelphia - the records are terrific and well maintained.  I have Irish ancestry, + Irish by way of Scotland, English (Lincolnshire/London), German,  and separately Danubeschwaben, which is “Germans on the Danube”.  Their story is amazing. 

Danubeschwaben emigrated from Württemberg to Hungary at the invitation of Empress Maria Theresa.  The Hungarian breadbasket lands had been depopulated by endless wars with the Turks, and Maria Theresa made offers of land grants, religious freedom and exemption from mandatory military service to resettle the area.  About 300 families came from Württemberg to a five-county area from the 1740s to the 1780s.  The area is now part of Serbia.  My entire family remaining in that part of the world were wiped out by the Soviets in 1945 via executions (the men), new concentration camps (the old and the children),and Soviet labor camps (the women).  Yes, a new concentration camp in 1945, after the end of WWII, with the tacit permission of the US government.

In addition to descent from John of Gaunt, my family tree includes poet Percy Bysshe Shelley.

Other than that, we’re pretty ordinary.  Working class, my dad was the first generation in his family and my mom in her family to graduate college and enter the professional classes instead of working class.

Same here Curtains!  My parents worked hard to give their children a good life - the impetus came from my mother’s side. My father wanted to be a saxophone player in a big band. My grandfather told my father to get his law degree or he could forget about marrying my mother. I’m glad I inherited her drive, and I bet your parents are very proud of all you’ve accomplished.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »

Thanks for this!

I’m fortunate that my family came through Philadelphia - the records are terrific and well maintained.  I have Irish ancestry, + Irish by way of Scotland, English (Lincolnshire/London), German,  and separately Danubeschwaben, which is “Germans on the Danube”.  Their story is amazing.  

Danubeschwaben emigrated from Württemberg to Hungary at the invitation of Empress Maria Theresa.  The Hungarian breadbasket lands had been depopulated by endless wars with the Turks, and Maria Theresa made offers of land grants, religious freedom and exemption from mandatory military service to resettle the area.  About 300 families came from Württemberg to a five-county area from the 1740s to the 1780s.  The area is now part of Serbia.  My entire family remaining in that part of the world were wiped out by the Soviets in 1945 via executions (the men), new concentration camps (the old and the children),and Soviet labor camps (the women).  Yes, a new concentration camp in 1945, after the end of WWII, with the tacit permission of the US government.

Other than that, we’re pretty ordinary.  Working class, my dad was the first generation in his family and my mom in her family to graduate college and enter the professional classes instead of working class.

Same here Curtains!  My parents worked hard to give their children a good life - the impetus came from my mother’s side. My father wanted to be a saxophone player in a big band. My grandfather told my father to get his law degree or he could forget about marrying my mother. I’m glad I inherited her drive, and I bet your parents are very proud of all you’ve accomplished.

Yay, thanks for sharing Curtains! I'm so sorry about your Hungarian family, that is just heartbreaking. They were pioneers and strong people, sometimes evil is just too strong.

AB, I think all our ancestors are proud of us and look on in wonder at who we turned out to be. Yes

I come from lower middle class background on one side and from abject poverty and homelessness on the other. My dad's father was an engineer on the Missouri Pacific RR, my mom's was an alcoholic hobo. Before that my dad's father's family were dirt farmers in Ireland who came over with everyone else, and his mom's side were Arcadians from Quebec who never made it to Louisiana. My French Canadian ancestors were among the first immigrants to Canada and I'm related to Trudeau. Also 8th cousins to Mark Twain through this side.

My mom's side is the really interesting one. Her father was a hobo so I know just the basics about him but her mother comes from a very illustrious family on both sides. Her mother's name was Alice though she hated the name I love it. Her father was another fairly recent 100% German immigrant, just a dirt farmer who made moonshine to get by.

Alice's mother on the other hand was English and Scots/Irish and this is where the Revolutionary War heroes come in (one fought directly with George Washington and gave his entire plantation to the cause for which he was given a medal by GW, his father and brother died in battle). Both Alice's mother and father's families were early pioneers and war heroes. I count 6-7 patriots from this side, 3 of whom were killed in battle. This is the Hotspur branch and also Cherokee. Warriors. These people came over before the Mayflower, one of my 10th GGmas was born in Surry, Virginia in 1611 and died at Jamestown in 1634. I can trace this side back to the 11th century in England (not counting the royal side). I'm lucky that there has been a ton of paid research into this side so it was easy for me to find.

But Alice's mom died very young and her parents (successful farmers) followed her not long after. Her father was an alcoholic and died young as well. So all that history was lost with a series of catastrophes. Typical Hotspur luck. Poor Grandma Cry But she was a toughie, buried two husbands and was a single lady for more than half her life. She worked a job for which she had to take the bus for an hour each way until she was 80 when they forced her to retire. She always had a large vegetable garden during this time as well.

So there you have it. Mostly mundane, common and dirt poor with one branch that's a tree all by itself. I draw a lot of strength from knowing what my ancestors went through for me to be here and I hope they'd be as proud of me as I am of them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:52:31 PM by karma chamelion » Logged
Gemsheal

Small Member

I make all my memes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:13:08 AM »

I am a true-blue New Yorker.  On both parents' sides I have traced ancestors back to New Amsterdam (which was New York before the British intervention).  These Dutch often intermarried with English, so I have a lot of both, along with a smattering of German.  But the really intriguing bloodlines to me are first, my paternal Polish great-grandfather, Anthony.  He was literally left as a baby on the doorstep of a family, in 1862, and took their name but of course he was not their blood child.  He left Poland for New York because he wanted a fresh start where no one knew his history.  He married twice, and his first wife was my great-grandmother, Rose, who sadly died of TB aged only 28.  (He lived to be 68.)  Second, is my maternal great-grandmother's father, Harry Bedford.  He was a Protestant from Liverpool who married an Irish Catholic woman, Eleanor Bell, and had two daughters, but the three women came to New York without him.  I don't know if he died, or if the marriage failed (very possible, given his career as a sailor plus the fact that it was a mixed marriage).  My mom recalled her grandmother referring to her father as "Black Harry" but not in a disgusted way, affectionate rather.  But my mother didn't ask for details, which is frustrating.  

I have always longed to go on a show like "Who Do You Think You Are," or have Prof. Gates trace my family tree but these things are only available to celebrities ... But I think it would be just as interesting to see an ordinary Joe Schmoe learn where he comes from, & to receive surprises!  I had my DNA analyzed by Ancestry (much to my children's paranoid disgust) and the real surprise was the high percentage of Scandinavian and Norwegian in the profile, but there was a lot of Viking raiding in England (and it turned out I was even more English than I thought, percentage-wise) so I'm guessing that's where it came in.  

My fondest childhood memory is ... not having to pay bills and taxes 🤓
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »

My family's past searches don't go as far as yours.

In the meantime, there have been investigations into the family of my paternal grandfather and grandmother's families and of my maternal grandfather. It seems they are all Dutch and even predominantly of the same region in the Netherlands. Based on some of the names I would have expected some German (and related areas) input.

In the past I found it interesting to work out family trees (sometimes I still do). I mainly focused on noble and royal families, as the data is better available there. Also interesting considering diseases, a well-known family tree in that area is that of Queen Victoria and her progeny (to see how heamophilia is inherited)
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Northern Parula

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »

I am a true-blue New Yorker.  On both parents' sides I have traced ancestors back to New Amsterdam (which was New York before the British intervention).  These Dutch often intermarried with English, so I have a lot of both, along with a smattering of German.  But the really intriguing bloodlines to me are first, my paternal Polish great-grandfather, Anthony.  He was literally left as a baby on the doorstep of a family, in 1862, and took their name but of course he was not their blood child.  He left Poland for New York because he wanted a fresh start where no one knew his history.  He married twice, and his first wife was my great-grandmother, Rose, who sadly died of TB aged only 28.  (He lived to be 68.)  Second, is my maternal great-grandmother's father, Harry Bedford.  He was a Protestant from Liverpool who married an Irish Catholic woman, Eleanor Bell, and had two daughters, but the three women came to New York without him.  I don't know if he died, or if the marriage failed (very possible, given his career as a sailor plus the fact that it was a mixed marriage).  My mom recalled her grandmother referring to her father as "Black Harry" but not in a disgusted way, affectionate rather.  But my mother didn't ask for details, which is frustrating. 

I have always longed to go on a show like "Who Do You Think You Are," or have Prof. Gates trace my family tree but these things are only available to celebrities ... But I think it would be just as interesting to see an ordinary Joe Schmoe learn where he comes from, & to receive surprises!  I had my DNA analyzed by Ancestry (much to my children's paranoid disgust) and the real surprise was the high percentage of Scandinavian and Norwegian in the profile, but there was a lot of Viking raiding in England (and it turned out I was even more English than I thought, percentage-wise) so I'm guessing that's where it came in. 

Yup. If you have English, Irish or Scottish ancestry you most likely have some Scandinavian mixed in - ditto if your ancestors came from the Baltics.

Like KC and Curtains, I'm on Ancestry and willing to help anyone get started. Ancestry usually offers a free trial of their basic level too. Many libraries (if your library is open) have subscriptions also.

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."

Theodore Roosevelt
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:35:49 AM »

It didn’t hit me until today - in fact in the last half hour as I was re-watching My Boyfriend Kenneth Branagh in Henry V - that this person:

Dafydd Gam Ap Llywelyn

Who is my 17th great grandfather

Is the same Davy Gam from Henry V, Act IV, Scene 8

Where is the number of our English dead?
Edward the Duke of York, the Earl of Suffolk,
Sir Richard Ketly, Davy Gam, esquire:
None else of name; and of all other men
But five and twenty. O God, thy arm was here;
And not to us, but to thy arm alone,
Ascribe we all! When, without stratagem,
But in plain shock and even play of battle,
Was ever known so great and little loss
On one part and on the other? Take it, God,
For it is none but thine!

I am genuinely humbled by this one.

I’m descended from his daughter:  Gwaldus "Star of Abergavenny" verch Dafydd Gam

And her first husband:  Sir Roger Lord Bredwarding Vaughan

Both Gwaldus’ father (Davy Gam) and husband (Sir Roger) fought and died at Agincourt.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:49:29 AM by Curtains » Logged

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Northern Parula

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

For anyone who has had their DNA done through Ancestry - they seem to have done one of their periodic updates so you may want to check your profile.

Theodore Roosevelt
LarLa

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:55:20 PM »

I just noticed this thread! I'm on ancestry as well and have traced my family and my husbands - both are works in progress of course. I'm in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada and prior to the late 1800s record keeping in many areas was spotty at best which makes it a complete challenge for some of my lines. I can't get past great-grandparents in some cases and in others I'm back to England/Ireland in the 1600s. My husband's family has been easier to trace because they weren't Catholic (they Catholics kept the worst records here!) and they were not poor fisherman like my family were. Not many interesting people in either tree although I do sometimes wonder if I'm related to Princess Diana as I share a last name with her mother lol.

Newfoundland is interesting in terms of family trees. We were so isolated that people often married cousins and lots of trees have crossed lines (my maternal grandparents were second cousins). Also most people here are related if you go far enough back.

If anyone has any connection to Newfoundland and are struggling I'm more than happy to help out.

Incidentally one of my first cousins is pretty well known in Canada and was asked to be on the Canadian version of Who do you think you are. He said no and I was so sad about that! I could have had a professionally done tree for the side of my family where there are so many roadblocks!
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »

For anyone who has had their DNA done through Ancestry - they seem to have done one of their periodic updates so you may want to check your profile.

Turns out that we're all Scottish! /s

I don't know how they're getting their percentages, but they're skewing waaaaay off in certain ethnicities. It's like they got a bunch of folks from Glasgow to do their tests and that's what skewing the results. My German roots have slowly disappeared with each update, which is indicative of some sort of screwball thing affecting things.

Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Northern Parula

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 04:05:42 PM »

Turns out that we're all Scottish! /s

I don't know how they're getting their percentages, but they're skewing waaaaay off in certain ethnicities. It's like they got a bunch of folks from Glasgow to do their tests and that's what skewing the results. My German roots have slowly disappeared with each update, which is indicative of some sort of screwball thing affecting things.

Nice to know I'm not the only one - my scenario follows yours exactly. On the other hand they finally seem to have included my Amish/Mennonite roots. They have however, erased the Bavarian roots of my grandmother.

My husband's are not as off kilter as mine seem to be.

Theodore Roosevelt
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »

I've had a lot of time to fiddle with my family tree lately and I found another Cherokee branch. My 8x great great grandmother was the sister of Sub-Chief John IV of the Catawba Council of the Cherokee.

Being such a history buff I really enjoy finding these people and researching what their lives were like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: