Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Killing Buffalo NY - 10 Dead  (Read 1198 times)
GoodGollyMissMolly

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 05:43:16 PM »

Not to lose sight of the point of this thread.

The oldest victim of the shooting was Ruth Whitfield. She was 86 years old and had stopped by the store to get dinner after visiting her husband at the nursing home.

Tops is in a food desert, and given that store will be closed for a while (maybe even forever), many people won’t have a way to get safe and healthy groceries.

Mrs Whitfield was also the mother of the former fire commissioner of Buffalo, she was a pillar of the community. Such a loss, not just to her family.

I didn't realize that this area was a food desert, I wonder if that was part of the decision of the monster to go there. I read there are people organizing shopping groups for community members who don't have vehicles and now I know why. In a wasteland of tragedy, good people will always come through. As Fred Rogers' mother said, look for the helpers.

I believe that there is a target registry for food, and that the local foodbank is accepting donations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of his reasoning. He also planned to target another grocery store.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 06:39:46 PM »

The oldest victim of the shooting was Ruth Whitfield. She was 86 years old and had stopped by the store to get dinner after visiting her husband at the nursing home.

Tops is in a food desert, and given that store will be closed for a while (maybe even forever), many people won’t have a way to get safe and healthy groceries.

Mrs Whitfield was also the mother of the former fire commissioner of Buffalo, she was a pillar of the community. Such a loss, not just to her family.

I didn't realize that this area was a food desert, I wonder if that was part of the decision of the monster to go there. I read there are people organizing shopping groups for community members who don't have vehicles and now I know why. In a wasteland of tragedy, good people will always come through. As Fred Rogers' mother said, look for the helpers.

I believe that there is a target registry for food, and that the local foodbank is accepting donations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of his reasoning. He also planned to target another grocery store.

Good information in this article about different ways to help the community: https://www.wgrz.com/arti...45-475c-89d3-d7ec23d5b631

The mayor's tweet: https://twitter.com/Mayor...26274767732473864/photo/1

I have a lot of admiration for Buffalo and the way they are handling this situation. What a strong community it is.
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 07:45:33 PM »

Yeah, if you check the map, Tops and the Family Dollar down the street are the only shops that show up on the map. I presume the Family Dollar is the store he wanted to continue his rampage at after he was finished at Tops.

Yes, the neighborhood  is strong, they worked hard to get the Tops Market there in the first place. It would be in everyone's best interest if it reopened as soon as possible.

Star Star Star For Cordelia F for her well reasoned post. When you want to point fingers point at yourself first. Yeah - it's Biblical, the verses about taking the log out of your own eye before pointing out the speck in the other person's eye, and confessing your own sins before accusing others. Hate is hate is hate, whether it be for race, ethnicity, religion or politics. There's hate in the world as it is - as evidenced by what happened in Buffalo, and in Cali this weekend. We can be angry, we can disagree, but we need to stop the wholesale hatred of one another.

I for one am foot stomping, steam coming from ears mad after learning is that he threatened to shoot up his school graduation just last year. He was a known risk. Daddy bought one of the guns he had with him, he legally purchased the gun he used. He should have been red flagged and all weapons taken from him, and no new purchases allowed. Yes, I know he could have found a way to get a gun anyway, but really, even if the government couldn't take away his guns, shouldn't his family have done so? They guy who shot up the King Soopers in Colorado had his gun taken away by his family, but one of them gave it back. At Sandy Hook, the gun was purchased by the mother (who the first killed), the Oxford MI school shooter's parents purchased the gun. Arrrgh.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 08:11:11 PM »

Aside from any political leanings, I bet there are similarities in profiles, mental health, socialization, isolation, peer relationships and such for a number of these shooters, going back many decades. I'd love to see an analysis of that, their commonalities and trajectory to doing the shooting.

For some unbeknownst reason, the CDC and no agency, keeps stats on gun violence.

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome à Paris - paraphrased)
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2022, 12:03:33 AM »

Aside from any political leanings, I bet there are similarities in profiles, mental health, socialization, isolation, peer relationships and such for a number of these shooters, going back many decades. I'd love to see an analysis of that, their commonalities and trajectory to doing the shooting.

For some unbeknownst reason, the CDC and no agency, keeps stats on gun violence.

I seem to remember one of the agencies coming out and saying something about gun violence in the past five years or so, but I can't remember which one or exactly what was said. There are neighborhoods in our cities, whether they be large medium or small, where just day to day living is off the charts stressful due to gun violence, even if you yourself are not a victim. Takes a toll all around.

Anyone else see When Claude got Shot on POV last week? It will come around again if you missed it and it is well worth watching.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: