Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV series / shows have you been watching lately?  (Read 94881 times)
Kristallinchen

Gigantic Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: July 12, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »

Is anyone planning on watching The Last Czars on Netflix? It's meant to be 80% drama, 20% documentary. I just read an article that said the director allowed the actors to keep their own accents for the show. I never know how I feel about that lol. Valkyrie was a good movie, but Tom Cruise's American accent threw me off a lot, especially since almost everyone else had a British accent.

I've just discovered it!  And I mean "just"... I happened upon it half an hour ago when I went to Netfix looking for something new, and I've started watching.  I hadn't heard anything about it before now.  The vibe I'm getting from it is a good one though and I'm enjoying it so far.  The combination of drama and documentary commentary is working for me.   But it's early days; Nicholas and Alexandra have just married and I haven't heard Rasputin speak yet.  So far, so good though.
My husband was Watching it and I got into it with him and it was really really good. Ben Crenshaw who played Rasputin did a really good job. I never understood why the family didn’t just leave for another country but it made a little more sense now

Would Denmark have worked? Nicholas II's mother was from Denmark.

The short answer to this that they simply didn't believe that they would really be killed.

Under Kerensky they lived relatively normal and they probably thought it would continue like this. Of course from their point if view it understandable that they wanted to stay...it was their home country after all and chances were slow they would ever be called back.

Still N and A were both naive to an extinct that it hurt.

They didn't take the best chance they had, when offered, because it came from their enemies. By the time they realized in what desperate situation they were (in Ekaterinburg) it was too late.

Sorry to hop on but who are their enemies and why?

Germany.

I doubt that it's widely known here, but the peace contract of Brest Litovsk signed between Russia and the Mittelmächte had a passage that Nicholas, Alexandra and the children must be handed over to Germany. N and A rejected it (like Grand Duchess Elisabeth later on) as they didn't want to be saved by their enemies.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: July 13, 2019, 03:58:01 AM »

Is anyone planning on watching The Last Czars on Netflix? It's meant to be 80% drama, 20% documentary. I just read an article that said the director allowed the actors to keep their own accents for the show. I never know how I feel about that lol. Valkyrie was a good movie, but Tom Cruise's American accent threw me off a lot, especially since almost everyone else had a British accent.

I've just discovered it!  And I mean "just"... I happened upon it half an hour ago when I went to Netfix looking for something new, and I've started watching.  I hadn't heard anything about it before now.  The vibe I'm getting from it is a good one though and I'm enjoying it so far.  The combination of drama and documentary commentary is working for me.   But it's early days; Nicholas and Alexandra have just married and I haven't heard Rasputin speak yet.  So far, so good though.
My husband was Watching it and I got into it with him and it was really really good. Ben Crenshaw who played Rasputin did a really good job. I never understood why the family didn’t just leave for another country but it made a little more sense now

The short answer to this that they simply didn't believe that they would really be killed.

Under Kerensky they lived relatively normal and they probably thought it would continue like this. Of course from their point if view it understandable that they wanted to stay...it was their home country after all and chances were slow they would ever be called back.

They didn't take the best chance they had, when offered, because it came from their enemies. By the time they realized in what desperate situation they were (in Ekaterinburg) it was too late.

Germany.

I doubt that it's widely known here, but the peace contract of Brest Litovsk signed between Russia and the Mittelmächte had a passage that Nicholas, Alexandra and the children must be handed over to Germany. N and A rejected it (like Grand Duchess Elisabeth later on) as they didn't want to be saved by their enemies.

Germany may have been the enemy. However, Wilhelm II was a first cousin to Alexandra. Grand Duke Ernest Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine was her brother. Family should count for something.
Kristallinchen

Gigantic Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: July 13, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »

Germany.

Germany may have been the enemy. However, Wilhelm II was a first cousin to Alexandra. Grand Duke Ernest Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine was her brother. Family should count for something.

ITA. Wilhelm II certainly wasn't easy to deal with, but here N and A rejected a very good and maybe the only chance of survival. And just out of false pride.
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: July 16, 2019, 01:24:36 AM »

I've moved on to Poldark. Not bad. I just ordered the books from ebay. Normally I read first, then watch, but discovered the show on Prime video first.

I really like Poldark, especially the first 2 seasons. Enjoy!
Lady Liebe

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: July 16, 2019, 02:22:10 AM »

I've moved on to Poldark. Not bad. I just ordered the books from ebay. Normally I read first, then watch, but discovered the show on Prime video first.

I've only watched bits and pieces of the new series. I watched the original back in the day so I can pick up the story when I do watch. jnozak, please let us know how you like the books.
jnozak

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2019, 02:29:53 AM »

I've only watched bits and pieces of the new series. I watched the original back in the day so I can pick up the story when I do watch. jnozak, please let us know how you like the books.

I will! I can't wait to get them, but I think it will be a while. They are coming from across the country via media mail shipping. Oh well. I can keep on with reading the Outlander series for the third time.
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2019, 01:40:00 AM »

I will! I can't wait to get them, but I think it will be a while. They are coming from across the country via media mail shipping. Oh well. I can keep on with reading the Outlander series for the third time.

I think I’ve read the earlier Outlander books at least 3 times. Another fantastic series!
thecrownjewelthief

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2019, 03:25:34 AM »

I think I’ve read the earlier Outlander books at least 3 times. Another fantastic series!

I watched the TV series first when I had to take some time off of work for medical reasons and then decided to go through the books... it was quite the feat because they get DENSE as you get through the series. Really enjoyed it though!
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »

My husband was Watching it and I got into it with him and it was really really good. Ben Crenshaw who played Rasputin did a really good job. I never understood why the family didn’t justbleave for another country but it made a little more sense now
I had mixed feelings because it felt some of the leads' gave poorer performances because of keeping their accents. But I am glad I watched it. I had my own bias about what happened and now I feel I have a better understanding in the context of history. I thought it could be better, but it was very interesting and if you're interested about that time, I think anyone would enjoy it.

I just didn't understand why the revolutionaries had Slavic-sounding accents but Rasputin sounded like he was from north England. The Romanovs using British accents was meh, I could see making a distinction between aristocracy and the average Russian, but that was a choice I did not understand at all.

I just finished watching it a few minutes ago.  I found it very interesting and I liked the combination of documentary and drama.  The accents didn't bother me and until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed the revolutionaries' accents.  I just assumed they were all from different parts of Russia - some even from other countries - and also had different education levels, so had different accents.  Considering how large Russia was and how many different - and very different they can be from one another - regional accents you hear in Britain, which is so much smaller, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I thought the show was a good history lesson and that this differnt style provides a useful educational tool to help understand the period and events.
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2019, 06:04:21 PM »

When you see us,heartbreaking....

Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: July 22, 2019, 07:55:22 AM »

Money Heist, season 3.

Different, but as good as 1 & 2.

Major Cliffhanger at the end of the last episode - season 4 is in production already.
Freefun2222

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: July 24, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »

Good Omens so very funny.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »

I really wonder how the series is.

Several years ago I have read the book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and I totally liked it!
But oft the film and/or tv series based on books differ too much and/or disappoint.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: July 25, 2019, 03:37:44 AM »

I really wonder how the series is.

Several years ago I have read the book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and I totally liked it!
But oft the film and/or tv series based on books differ too much and/or disappoint.

I love Granny Weatherwax!@!! 

G

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
BassChick

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2019, 12:56:05 AM »

Hi!  I just found this thread; fun topic.   Smiley

I'm re-watching "Star Trek/Voyager", "Keeping Up Appearances", and "Dark Shadows".

I'm watching Classic Doctor Who for the first time, and I"m on the Fourth Doctor in Season 12, I think??? 
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: