Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marquess of Bath  (Read 110298 times)
jolene

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »

How Brits do titles confuses me, but if the father (when alive) was a marquess, why wasn't his son an earl instead of a viscount?
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

How Brits do titles confuses me, but if the father (when alive) was a marquess, why wasn't his son an earl instead of a viscount?

It depends on what titles the father has.  The title holder uses the highest, their eldest son the next highest, and so on.  For this family they only have Marquess, Viscount, and Baron so it goes father, son, and grandson. 

Other family might not use the next highest because it sounds to similar to the main title.  The Duke of Westminster is an example of that because the next highest title he has is Marquess of Westminster but because itís too confusing the heir uses the third highest Earl Grosvenor.  The grandson uses Viscount Belgravia and while they have a Barony (Baron Grosvener) itís not used for a great-grandson because itís too confusing with the Earl. 

Basically itís weird and confusing and thereís always a decent chance that each family does something a little bit different. 
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »

It depends on what titles the father has.  The title holder uses the highest, their eldest son the next highest, and so on.  For this family they only have Marquess, Viscount, and Baron so it goes father, son, and grandson. 

Other family might not use the next highest because it sounds to similar to the main title.  The Duke of Westminster is an example of that because the next highest title he has is Marquess of Westminster but because itís too confusing the heir uses the third highest Earl Grosvenor.  The grandson uses Viscount Belgravia and while they have a Barony (Baron Grosvener) itís not used for a great-grandson because itís too confusing with the Earl. 

Basically itís weird and confusing and thereís always a decent chance that each family does something a little bit different. 

Thank you for the explanation!
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »

The heir to a viscount is merely "Honorable," even if there's a barony in the family.  "Their Noble Lordships" by Simon Winchester gives a very good explanation of the different titles in the UK.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »

Oops  Blush
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:38 PM »

Came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLWf1Zyd_k

I always thought he skipped their wedding because of the bride's race, but apparently because the son took down the (now late) marquess's ugly murals.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2020, 12:10:22 AM »

Did anyone ever see the show "Keys to the Castle"?  John Barrowman hosted it and went into stately homes that were still used as residences, such as the castle in Scotland that inspired MacBeth.  He visited Longleat and all I can say is...wow.  That was a bizarre place.  One of the bathrooms had side by side toilets!

It was neat, however, that he had the wildlife park which I understand was really well done.

Edit:  The documentary is available on YouTube!  Well worth a watch!
Ellie

Warned
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2020, 12:48:49 AM »

The mother skipped because of Emma's race. I think she said something to her son to the effect of - 'How dare you ruin years and years of white blood!'

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2020, 01:03:25 AM »

Did anyone ever see the show "Keys to the Castle"?  John Barrowman hosted it and went into stately homes that were still used as residences, such as the castle in Scotland that inspired MacBeth.  He visited Longleat and all I can say is...wow.  That was a bizarre place.  One of the bathrooms had side by side toilets!

It was neat, however, that he had the wildlife park which I understand was really well done.

Edit:  The documentary is available on YouTube!  Well worth a watch!
Those murals were soooo creepy!!!!
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »

Does anyone know if the Marchioness has local friends and has been accepted by her husband's friends?
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2020, 01:16:30 AM »

Does anyone know if the Marchioness has local friends and has been accepted by her husband's friends?

I remember reading somewhere that they grew up around each other, so itís possible that they have some of the same friends.
Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2020, 01:22:04 AM »

IIRC her maternal half-brother is married to her husband's aunt (the late Marquess's paternal half-sister).
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2020, 02:06:41 AM »

I got the vibe that they have a lot of friends in common and she's an easy going/likeable sort.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2020, 04:37:52 AM »

Thanks guys. I read an article, maybe it was this thread, and she also seemed a likable sort and, hardly common at all. Comes from a fancy background and is peer sort of aristo type.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »

The wiki about Emma:

https://en.wikipedia.org/...Early_life_and_background

Express article about the family feuds with Emma involved (including her own mother):

https://www.express.co.uk...ing-strictly-come-dancing

".....Sheís the daughter of Nigerian billionaire oil tycoon Oladipo Jadesimi and English socialite Suzanna McQuiston. The Marchioness of Bath first met her husband when they were children. Emmaís half-brother Iain McQuiston is married to Ceawlinís aunt Lady Silvy, and according to the British magazine Tatler, Emma met her future husband when she was a bridesmaid aged four at their wedding. ďI would see Ceawlin at Christmas, Easter and family get-togethers,Ē she told Tatler [in 2013.] Romance did not spark however until the pair ran into each at London membersí club Soho House decades later...."

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: