Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IPSOS: Dutch Royal Family Less Popular Among Young People  (Read 2281 times)
scarlett123

Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »

Sorry if this has been posted, but I saw an article from April of this year that claims, according to an Ipsos Survey, that the popularity of the Dutch Royal Family is slipping. I was a little surprised by this because I adore Queen Maxima, and she seems really popular with the people! But this is what the article states:

https://www.irishtimes.co...ch-survey-shows-1.3863625

In 2007, support across all three age categories questioned – 18 to 34, 35 to 54, and 55 and over – averaged out at 77 per cent. This time it is 68 per cent.
Only among the 55-plus age group is support for the royals unflagging.
“What this trend means is that in the next few years, for the first time ever, the royals will not have the support of a majority of the younger age bracket,” said Mr van Heck.

68% approval isn't bad, but it seems that even though the King and Queen are popular with the people, those between the ages of 18-34 find the idea of a monarchy old-fashioned, and only 55% of them are enthusiastic about the royals. Now I doubt they will call for a Republic any time soon, I was just surprised to see the results of this poll. Another source is this: https://nltimes.nl/2019/0...-among-young-people-study.

Both articles point to the "controversy about the benefits" the Royal Family receives. I haven't completely dug into their funding, but perhaps they will re-think giving Princess Amalia her salary when she turns 18?

TheMorWearsPrada

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »

I think you can like the royals well enough as people but believe the concept of royalty is outdated and shouldn't be a thing in 2019.

I had a couple of Dutch friends when studying abroad as part of my Master's a couple of years ago and they said that Wax and Max seem like "really cool people" and "I bet they'd be so fun to have as dinner party guests and have a few drinks with afterwards" and "their daughters seem very well raised, but they also thought that having a royal family in 2016 is "wrong" and "stupid".

You can like the people in the roles but still believe the role shouldn't exist. 

scarlett123

Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »

True, it makes me wonder though how long these European monarchies will continue to exist.
jolene

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »

A Dutch friend of mine cried (happy tears) at Max and Wax's wedding. Max seems so cool. I'd miss seeing her if there was no monarchy. She took to it like a duck to water.
Konradin

Mini Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »

A Dutch friend of mine cried (happy tears) at Max and Wax's wedding. Max seems so cool. I'd miss seeing her if there was no monarchy. She took to it like a duck to water.
Something most people does not know, it's how well things were tied by up the Orange family as change, and loss of power, happened. They own most of palaces, and the collections. Plus all the important places, if you add Shell's revenues on top of that, they are really rich. And should the monarchy be abolished, the Netherland's state can buy them most of this assets, plus, they would have to pay them quite a lot of money, a fortune actually, and that clause is not open for discussion.

(I can't find the right article where I read about this, should someone find it and I'm wrong, please, do feel free to correct whatever mistake I've made on my previous statement)
anirac

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:32:26 AM »

They don't owe the palaces (with exception Drakensteyn. Beatrix bought this in the 60s.) The Dutch state is the owner and the royal family has the right to live there. So if they would abolish the monarchy the state doesn't have to pay them anything for the places.

I owe so much to my wife.You cannot imagine what I'm feeling.It's fabulous.Thank you,Beatrix.

Perhaps history will bear out that the choice of my partner was my best decision.
Kristallinchen

Gigantic Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »

Something most people does not know, it's how well things were tied by up the Orange family as change, and loss of power, happened. They own most of palaces, and the collections. Plus all the important places, if you add Shell's revenues on top of that, they are really rich. And should the monarchy be abolished, the Netherland's state can buy them most of this assets, plus, they would have to pay them quite a lot of money, a fortune actually, and that clause is not open for discussion.

(I can't find the right article where I read about this, should someone find it and I'm wrong, please, do feel free to correct whatever mistake I've made on my previous statement)

Indeed, seems that the Dutch are not exactly poor. If you find this article again I'd be happy to read it.
Konradin

Mini Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »

Indeed, seems that the Dutch are not exactly poor. If you find this article again I'd be happy to read it.
And what about the collections? I think that was indeed owned by the Orange family.
KatyMc

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »

if you add Shell's revenues on top of that, they are really rich.

Not sure they have much to do with Shell either

https://nltimes.nl/2018/0...ng-shares-royal-companies
scarlett123

Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 05:38:16 AM »

They don't owe the palaces (with exception Drakensteyn. Beatrix bought this in the 60s.) The Dutch state is the owner and the royal family has the right to live there. So if they would abolish the monarchy the state doesn't have to pay them anything for the places.

Oh wow, I thought they owned most of the palaces. I do wonder if they own most of their jewelry, artworks, etc. I hope the monarchy continues to flourish in the coming decades, because Max is fab, but I do wonder what else they can do to capture the support of the youth.
Konradin

Mini Member

Argentina Argentina

“Après moi le déluge”

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »

Oh wow, I thought they owned most of the palaces. I do wonder if they own most of their jewelry, artworks, etc. I hope the monarchy continues to flourish in the coming decades, because Max is fab, but I do wonder what else they can do to capture the support of the youth.
Most of the jewelry is in a foundation, Juliana chose to create one to ensure it would not be divided upon her death. A wise choice should you ask me, I mean, let's all look at Belgium.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: