Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilhelmina (1880-1962)  (Read 13937 times)
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 01:53:31 AM »

In 1895, when she was fifteen, Queen Wilhelmina visited Queen Victoria in England. Victoria wrote in her diary: She (Wilhelmina) speaks good English and knows how to behave with charming manners.
Qua Patet Orbis

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »

She was one of the only monarchs in Europe that fled from her own country and people, I don't have any respect for her.
There was also a big problem constitutionally during an right after the war, the Dutch constitution did not recognise any type of government outside of the kingdom borders and yet she tried to keep a non functioning government running from London.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »

She was one of the only monarchs in Europe that fled from her own country and people, I don't have any respect for her.
There was also a big problem constitutionally during an right after the war, the Dutch constitution did not recognise any type of government outside of the kingdom borders and yet she tried to keep a non functioning government running from London.

Do you prefer the example of Leopold III. He remained in his own country and put by the Germans in luxurious imprisonment. He even managed to impregnate a young women, who later became his wife. This certainly didn't fell well with the Belgian people and led to the "koningskwestie'.  With result that by outcome of among other a referendum Leopold abdicated and his eldest son Baudouin became king.
anastasia beaverhausen

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »

Do you prefer the example of Leopold III. He remained in his own country and put by the Germans in luxurious imprisonment. He even managed to impregnate a young women, who later became his wife. This certainly didn't fell well with the Belgian people and led to the "koningskwestie'.  With result that by outcome of among other a referendum Leopold abdicated and his eldest son Baudouin became king.

Good point, Principessa!  I had forgotten about Leopold and I wonder what life was like for his 3 children during all that.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »

I guess that there were and are pro- and cons regarding both options. Probably there would have been also negative remarks if Wilhelma stayed in the Netherlands and would be kept prisoner by the Germans. Also because I think in that case Wilhelmina would probably have not endured the hardship a lot of her fellow Dutch had to endure (among others the horrible Hongerwinter (= Hunger winter)) or at least not that much.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2019, 04:04:36 AM »

Queen Wilhelmina visited King George VI in Great Britain in 1946. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: