Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicholas II & Family  (Read 28761 times)
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 01:45:44 AM »

She certainly was lovely and well-connected. It will never cease to amaze me, why her parents refused to let her find a marriage partner.
She had been 21, her elder sister Olga 23 and her younger sister Maria 19, all of them at a perfect  age (at that time) to get married or at least engaged. Even Anastasia had been almost 17.
Married or at least engaged into a foreign monarchy would have saved their lives.

Tatiana had in fact a suitor Dimitri Yakovlevich Malama. He was a commoner, but obviously accepted by N and A. He later joined the White Army and was killed in action in 1919.

But I know what you mean. The Tsar's daughters certainly weren't short of candidates. I don't think their parents actively prevented any marriage. They just wanted them to marry for love and be happy.

Olga f. e. turned down the Crownprince of Romania, because she didn't want to leave Russia. Tatiana and the others had surely similar feelings.

Really?  Weren’t they raised like other princesses to marry into other royal families and leave home?  Something is just so different and off with this family.
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »

She certainly was lovely and well-connected. It will never cease to amaze me, why her parents refused to let her find a marriage partner.
She had been 21, her elder sister Olga 23 and her younger sister Maria 19, all of them at a perfect  age (at that time) to get married or at least engaged. Even Anastasia had been almost 17.
Married or at least engaged into a foreign monarchy would have saved their lives.

Tatiana had in fact a suitor Dimitri Yakovlevich Malama. He was a commoner, but obviously accepted by N and A. He later joined the White Army and was killed in action in 1919.

But I know what you mean. The Tsar's daughters certainly weren't short of candidates. I don't think their parents actively prevented any marriage. They just wanted them to marry for love and be happy.

Olga f. e. turned down the Crownprince of Romania, because she didn't want to leave Russia. Tatiana and the others had surely similar feelings.

Really?  Weren’t they raised like other princesses to marry into other royal families and leave home?  Something is just so different and off with this family.

No, the girls were very sheltered. Like her grandmother Queen Victoria, I think the Tsarina would have preferred to have her daughters remain with her, preferably not married. Olga and Tatiana only had one ball before the war started, and they were hardly ever seen in society. Supposedly Dmitri Pavlovich and Tatiana were seen as a possible couple until Rasputin's murder and Dmitri's banishment.

Aunt Michen (GD Vladimir) proposed to the Tsarina that her son Boris would marry Olga, to which Alexandra was supposed to have said something along the lines of 'that middle-aged playboy, marry my Olga? Never!' To which Aunt Michen took great offense which was one of the reasons she conspired against the throne in the lead up to the Revolution. Olga is also said to have been in love with a sailor from the Standardt named Paul Alexeyevich Voronov.

Tatiana I think would have stayed with her mother, she was the closest to Alexandra. Anastasia was such a tomboy that I feel she wouldn't have been interested in romance until she was quite a bit older. Maria was a love and would have made a wonderful wife, she supposedly fell in love with a soldier guarding the family in Ekatrinburg but that is just gossip and I don't believe the source. In short, the two oldest were really the only ones that were emotionally old enough to even think of romance and Olga was the only one that showed any propensity to establish her own family. But even then, she would never have left Russia so would have been caught up in the Romanov purge no matter what.

It was a very dysfunctional family, and like many royal mothers of her time Alexandra (Queen Alexandra, 'Motherdear' for one) she had an unhealthy tendency to baby her children and refused to let them grow up.
NAOTMAA

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:47 AM »

^^^Of course it was the common practice but not all princesses married foreign princes and moved away. They didn't have to marry a foreign prince, just a suitable one. Three of Queen Victoria's own children stayed home after marrying, as did Edward VII's eldest daughter too. Both of Olga's paternal aunts married but remained in Russia as well. And that's just to name a few that were closest in relation to Olga's parents as there were many other princesses throughout Europe who did as well.

Both Alexandra and Queen Marie agreed beforehand that they would simply let things go through naturally and not try to push anything between Carol and Olga. Apparently Carol didn't make much of an impression on her or any of the sisters at the first meeting. After this Olga declared to her school teacher she was Russian and would always be so and didn't want to leave her homeland. I believe Carol was having an affair at the time and didn't think much of pursuing any marriage with a foreign princess but only went through with the visit due to family pressure. Olga, looking at the example of her parents, was hoping more for a love match and was also currently nursing a crush on one of the officers of the imperial yacht (although she knew that was impossible). Her real potential matches were her father's cousin Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich (his wild lifestyle was a turn off to both Olga and her parents though) and even Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia was considered (although the war stopped any further talks of that)

A second meeting was arranged in Romania where again nothing happened. The story goes that while on vacation at Livadia the sisters agreed to make themselves look as unattractive as possible so Carol wouldn't want any of them so they got themselves all sun burned which shocked the Romanians greatly when they arrived. Carol however did ask Nicholas about Maria but Nicholas did laugh it off saying she was just a baby.

June 1914

This would be the last time the Romanovs saw any of their foreign relatives.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:48:23 AM by NAOTMAA » Logged
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »

Alexandra also wanted to keep them close to her, like Queen Victoria demanded of Beatrice, and Queen Alexandra demanded of her daughter Victoria making her life utterly miserable. I doubt they would have ever married, quite honestly.

I recall something about Prince Konstantin Konstantinovich wanting to marry Olga. They could have been a good match. He was apparently a kind, modest young man who was a big reader.

Carol was an utter pig and a horrible person.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 07:45:31 AM »

Helen of Greece parents later on were also not fond of Carol and as it turned out, they were completely right.

Olga and Tatiana had some suitors, but I didn't get the impression that anything was seriously considered. The GD Boris proposal was certainly just laughed at by Alexandra. And frankly, who can blame her? He was almost twice her age, openly living with his mistress etc.

With GD Dimitri he was considered for both Olga and Tatiana, though I think since he was the pulling son of their son they probably saw more a brother in him then someone to marry.

For Olga there was also talk about the then Prince of Wales (Edward VIII), Alexander of Serbia wanted to marry Tatiana. This was in fact the most serious one of all. They both seem to have been quite fond of each other, but then WW1 interrupted. Alexander was certainly devastated, when he heard of her death.

I too think that Alexandra would've prefered her daughters to stay home to care for her and Alexei. However I don't think she would've prevented a marriage, if she felt that it was for her daughters happiness. Most likely had they and the monarchy survived they would've married some minor Russian nobles or even commoners and so be able to stay in the country.

In fact the foreign marriages were coming to an end at this time not only in Russia.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 07:55:04 AM »

No, the girls were very sheltered. Like her grandmother Queen Victoria, I think the Tsarina would have preferred to have her daughters remain with her, preferably not married. Olga and Tatiana only had one ball before the war started, and they were hardly ever seen in society. Supposedly Dmitri Pavlovich and Tatiana were seen as a possible couple until Rasputin's murder and Dmitri's banishment.

Aunt Michen (GD Vladimir) proposed to the Tsarina that her son Boris would marry Olga, to which Alexandra was supposed to have said something along the lines of 'that middle-aged playboy, marry my Olga? Never!' To which Aunt Michen took great offense which was one of the reasons she conspired against the throne in the lead up to the Revolution. Olga is also said to have been in love with a sailor from the Standardt named Paul Alexeyevich Voronov.

Tatiana I think would have stayed with her mother, she was the closest to Alexandra. Anastasia was such a tomboy that I feel she wouldn't have been interested in romance until she was quite a bit older. Maria was a love and would have made a wonderful wife, she supposedly fell in love with a soldier guarding the family in Ekatrinburg but that is just gossip and I don't believe the source. In short, the two oldest were really the only ones that were emotionally old enough to even think of romance and Olga was the only one that showed any propensity to establish her own family. But even then, she would never have left Russia so would have been caught up in the Romanov purge no matter what.

It was a very dysfunctional family, and like many royal mothers of her time Alexandra (Queen Alexandra, 'Motherdear' for one) she had an unhealthy tendency to baby her children and refused to let them grow up.

I've never heard of Maria actually being in love with a soldier in Ekaterinburg, but the surely was quite friendly with some of them. Too friendly for Yurovsky and her family. Yurovsky had the soldiers dismissed. Her family came to distrust her. She was the only one not allowed to sew jewels into her clothes by her mother.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »

A lot of the 'her family distrusted her' was a rumor put forth by Greg King and Penny Wilson, other historians have said it's nonsense. I could see there being tension however considering their situation. I think Olga especially was affected by it all the most.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »

A lot of the 'her family distrusted her' was a rumor put forth by Greg King and Penny Wilson, other historians have said it's nonsense. I could see there being tension however considering their situation. I think Olga especially was affected by it all the most.

Ah, thanks. I read it in some russian sources too. But maybe the copied it from Greg and Penny. Have never read their books.
NAOTMAA

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »

One of the soldiers at the Impatiev house did give Maria a small cake for her birthday and he was let go. They were apparently caught behind the shed or something like that. Maria being the most sociable seem to have continued socializing with the soldiers in captivity more so then the others just as they use to as girls on the Standart.

Of course it was all innocent and nothing bad happened but it did cause a rift. Yurovsky in his recollection stated there appeared to be some tension between Maria and her mother and sisters. She was to a small extent isolated from them near the end. That is a fact but it's not true she was shunned or anything like that.

King and Wilson seem to suggest perhaps that's why she had no jewels sewed into her clothes but that's nonsense. The reason for that is because when Nicholas and Alexandra were transferred to Ekatrinburg Maria went with them. The others had to stay behind because Alexei was too sick to move. It was at this time the girls started sewing the jewels into their clothes. That's why they had jewels in their clothes and Maria didn't. Maria had no time or chance to do it herself.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »

I am not entire certain that the romantic notions of marrying for love only were shared by the parents. I believe that Alexandra and Nikolas had been extremely paranoid and suspicious of others and they sheltered and isolated their family to a very unusual extent. Alexandra herself also had a very unhealthy devotion to her faith and I assume she had the idea that her daughters' suitors should be cut from some same cloth.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »

Tsar Nicholas II and the Tsarevich saluted an officer.   
http://www.alamy.com/tsar...fficer-image68544244.html
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »

Star Star Love all the pictures etc you find for us Cyril
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 01:16:48 AM »

Star Star Love all the pictures etc you find for us Cyril

luvcharles, I am glad that you like the pictures.
CyrilSebastian

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:56 AM »

The arrival of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra in the Stratsnoy Monastery in Moscow   
http://www.alamy.com/arri...raphy-image236375884.html
Lord Gˇn

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »

So lovely! And yes, I know what life was like in Russia.
https://youtu.be/mCxAFEV9CfM

https://youtu.be/AMRvQEM6y8M
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: