Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicholas II & Family  (Read 4504 times)
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 02:36:37 AM »

So lovely! And yes, I know what life was like in Russia.
https://youtu.be/mCxAFEV9CfM

https://youtu.be/AMRvQEM6y8M

Lord Gin, The home movies with sound added is marvelous.   
When I see the four Grand Duchesses enter the carriage, I think that here are four possible future brides. Alas! This did not occur.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:36 AM »

When Grand Duchess Olga began to learn to read, her favorite stories were those about European history in the medieval times.
lilyrose

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:07 PM »

When I see the four Grand Duchesses enter the carriage, I think that here are four possible future brides. Alas! This did not occur.

If the Romanovs had managed to stay in power, I really think the two oldest girls would've been sent to England and Greece respectively as brides for their crown princes.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 02:59:26 AM »

Queen Olga of Great Britain and Queen Tatiana of Greece sound very grand.

If the Romanovs had managed to stay in power, I really think the two oldest girls would've been sent to England and Greece respectively as brides for their crown princes.
Ayla

Baby Member

Brazil Brazil

Hello Friends and Enemies!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »

She certainly was lovely and well-connected. It will never cease to amaze me, why her parents refused to let her find a marriage partner.
She had been 21, her elder sister Olga 23 and her younger sister Maria 19, all of them at a perfect  age (at that time) to get married or at least engaged. Even Anastasia had been almost 17.
Married or at least engaged into a foreign monarchy would have saved their lives.

Tatiana had in fact a suitor Dimitri Yakovlevich Malama. He was a commoner, but obviously accepted by N and A. He later joined the White Army and was killed in action in 1919.

But I know what you mean. The Tsar's daughters certainly weren't short of candidates. I don't think their parents actively prevented any marriage. They just wanted them to marry for love and be happy.

Olga f. e. turned down the Crownprince of Romania, because she didn't want to leave Russia. Tatiana and the others had surely similar feelings.

As I know Alexander I of Yoguslavia loved Tatiana A LOT and wanted to marry her. His father, king Peter I sent a letter to Nicholas II in 1913 expressing the desire of his son to marry one of the grand duchesses. Nicholas accepted the idea and even invited Peter and Alexander for a dinner, but at same time he said that his daughters would marry to whom they wanted, he would never force them in a loveless marriage. As it seems a wedding would took place but the negotiations ended due the WWI. Tatiana and Alexander changed a lot of letters during the war and when she died he tried to kill himself.

About Maria, Carol of Romania tried to marry her after the Romanov's visit to Romania but Nicholas reffused the idea. Is known that prince Louis Mountbatten loved her a lot and had the dream to marry her. Some historians believe that she liked him and maybe they could have ended marrying. Louis kept a photo of her near his bed till the last day of his life.

About Olga, Christopher of Greece tried to marry her in 1913 when she was 18. He was in love with her and asked for Nicholas' permission. Nicholas was very pleased to know that Christopher loved his daughter but reffused the marriage saying tha Olga was too young to marry.
CyrilSebastian

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 03:15:32 AM »

She certainly was lovely and well-connected. It will never cease to amaze me, why her parents refused to let her find a marriage partner.
She had been 21, her elder sister Olga 23 and her younger sister Maria 19, all of them at a perfect  age (at that time) to get married or at least engaged. Even Anastasia had been almost 17.
Married or at least engaged into a foreign monarchy would have saved their lives.

Tatiana had in fact a suitor Dimitri Yakovlevich Malama. He was a commoner, but obviously accepted by N and A. He later joined the White Army and was killed in action in 1919.

But I know what you mean. The Tsar's daughters certainly weren't short of candidates. I don't think their parents actively prevented any marriage. They just wanted them to marry for love and be happy.

Olga f. e. turned down the Crownprince of Romania, because she didn't want to leave Russia. Tatiana and the others had surely similar feelings.

As I know Alexander I of Yoguslavia loved Tatiana A LOT and wanted to marry her. His father, king Peter I sent a letter to Nicholas II in 1913 expressing the desire of his son to marry one of the grand duchesses. Nicholas accepted the idea and even invited Peter and Alexander for a dinner, but at same time he said that his daughters would marry to whom they wanted, he would never force them in a loveless marriage. As it seems a wedding would took place but the negotiations ended due the WWI. Tatiana and Alexander changed a lot of letters during the war and when she died he tried to kill himself.

About Maria, Carol of Romania tried to marry her after the Romanov's visit to Romania but Nicholas reffused the idea. Is known that prince Louis Mountbatten loved her a lot and had the dream to marry her. Some historians believe that she liked him and maybe they could have ended marrying. Louis kept a photo of her near his bed till the last day of his life.

About Olga, Christopher of Greece tried to marry her in 1913 when she was 18. He was in love with her and asked for Nicholas' permission. Nicholas was very pleased to know that Christopher loved his daughter but reffused the marriage saying tha Olga was too young to marry.

In 1913 Olga was 18. However some princesses have married before they were eighteen. How young is too young?
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »

In 1913 Olga was 18. However some princesses have married before they were eighteen. How young is too young?

I think it depended on the family. Nicholas and Alexandra were very reluctant to let their daughter go.

Some families however were always looking for alliances and great catches and couldn't get their daughters married fast enough. An example of the Romanov family is Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna.

She didn't grew up to her ambitions and her daughter, Elena Pavlovna, only married the third and totally unimportant son of the King of Greece.
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »

I believe none of them would have married, or if they did, when they were older and had to settle with Russian men. They would not let them go, at all, I doubt.
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »

I believe none of them would have married, or if they did, when they were older and had to settle with Russian men. They would not let them go, at all, I doubt.

I don't think that they wanted to marry foreign princes either. Olga and Tatiana repeatedly stated themselves that they wanted to remain in Russia.

If the monarchy and the family would've survived the revolution I also believe that marriage laws and customs would've changed.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »

I don't think that they wanted to marry foreign princes either. Olga and Tatiana repeatedly stated themselves that they wanted to remain in Russia.

If the monarchy and the family would've survived the revolution I also believe that marriage laws and customs would've changed.

Also wondering if that was the influence of Alix speaking…..
If I am correct, there have been (foreign) royal and noble suitors for Olga and Tatiana.
Kristallinchen

Big Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:40 PM »

If I am correct, there have been (foreign) royal and noble suitors for Olga and Tatiana.

Certainly it was Alix' influence. She was shy by nature and practically mistrusted everyone. Especially of course those, who told her the truth that she didn't want to hear.

The girls grew up pretty sheltered and had little contact with others (even family members), they saw occasionally their cousins and some Romanov family (children of Konstantin Konstantinovich).

Olga and Xenia's daughter Irina were of the same age, but turned out completely different. While Irina married and was already a woman, Olga practically was still a child.

I still think that Alix already mostly changed in childhood, when her mother died. She was simply too young then. By all accounts she was a happy go lucky child before this and afterwards completely turned around.
anastasia beaverhausen

Huge Member

Gone Too Soon!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 01:01:02 AM »

Certainly it was Alix' influence. She was shy by nature and practically mistrusted everyone. Especially of course those, who told her the truth that she didn't want to hear.

The girls grew up pretty sheltered and had little contact with others (even family members), they saw occasionally their cousins and some Romanov family (children of Konstantin Konstantinovich).

Olga and Xenia's daughter Irina were of the same age, but turned out completely different. While Irina married and was already a woman, Olga practically was still a child.

I still think that Alix already mostly changed in childhood, when her mother died. She was simply too young then. By all accounts she was a happy go lucky child before this and afterwards completely turned around.

It’s always been my thought that Alix suffered from mental illness, and a lot of Queen V’s descendants did.  Her illness permeated that family, and I agree that none of those girls would ever have been free of her. Very sad all around.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: