Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nicholas II & Family  (Read 8761 times)
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »

Alix had been unsuited, but to be fair, most women would have been at that time.
Unfortunately women in royal positions were pawns in the scramble for political alliances and their rle was to produce Children mainly heirs and spares (and certainly Girls too, that could be again used to tighten bonds with allies).
Alix failed in producing an heir and that weighed very heavily on her.
In good relationships (of any sort) the two spouses talk to each other and seek each others feedback, support and  help.
Alexandra, perhaps due to her mother's early death, was not very well educated and apparently not overly bright. Her husband, the czar unfortunately was not better suited, so the two could not really feed of each other intellectually. What they did however, was they produced this bubble of surreal family life, and possibly due to somewhat realizing that they were inadequate, they feared manipulation and thus encouraged eachother to not heed any outside influence or opinion.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2019, 02:54:48 AM »

In Nicholas and Alexandra, Robert K. Massie wrote: To Marie, Alexandra was still an awkward young German girl, only recently arrived in Russia with no knowledge or background in affairs of state.
CyrilSebastian

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2019, 02:54:05 AM »

Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra during a hunting expedition in the Bialowieza Forest in 1897     
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/822507394
Malenkaya

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »

Alix had been unsuited, but to be fair, most women would have been at that time.

I come back to this quite often. Who would have been suited to be empress at the time and have the marriage still follow the rules of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Pauline Laws? Margaret of Prussia was considered another candidate but criticized as being dull (and certainly would have been in Maria Feodorovna's shadow). Most of the major princesses I can think of were married off by the time Nicholas' marriage was being discussed. King Christian and Queen Louise's brilliant matchmaking unfortunately ensured that there were quite a few princesses that were a no-go due to the inability to marry a first cousin.

It is one of those royal "what ifs". Ultimately I think it comes down to that there likely was no one that would have been suited to be the bride of Nicholas in that particular situation. Even the males in his family (minus Kirill) were trying to find ways out of being Emperor at any cost.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: