Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Willem-Alexander News  (Read 73267 times)
chocolate_angel

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

http://www.nu.nl/achterkl...gen-eigen-verjaardag.html

Coming April 27, the Dutch king Willem-Alexander will celebrate his 50th birthday.

WA invites 150 birthday celebrants who would like to celebrate their own and WA's birthday with him on April 27.
Condition is that the participants also celebrate a jubilee year on that day, according to the news posted on the Amsterdam Palace website Monday.

To celebrate WA wants to organize a dinner at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. After the dinner, the building will be opened for the public for fifty hours. During those fifty hours visitors can follow a special additional program.

Oh, hwat a lovely idea Smiley Dear fellow dihers, how about meeting at the palace for a joined tour? Blush
Nuno

Humongous Member

Portugal Portugal

TM The King and Queen of Spain

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »

http://www.nu.nl/achterkl...gen-eigen-verjaardag.html

Coming April 27, the Dutch king Willem-Alexander will celebrate his 50th birthday.

WA invites 150 birthday celebrants who would like to celebrate their own and WA's birthday with him on April 27.
Condition is that the participants also celebrate a jubilee year on that day, according to the news posted on the Amsterdam Palace website Monday.

To celebrate WA wants to organize a dinner at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. After the dinner, the building will be opened for the public for fifty hours. During those fifty hours visitors can follow a special additional program.

It would be a lovely occasion for a tiara event with foreign royals 

"You can call me Happiness...yes Queen Happiness. It sounds great!" - Queen Letizia, Red Cross 150th Anniversary Wink

"Hey Cristina, I'm the Queen now :D"
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »

So Wax turns 50 on April 27th and the programme is getting better and better.

On Friday 21st: Koningsspelen (games for primary school kids Nationwide) (the week after that is a school holiday)

On Thursday 27th (actual birthday) Koningsdag, with visit to Tilburg (city), accompanied by his family.

On Friday 28th the dinner party with 150 'ordinary people' who also celebrate a decade birthday on the 27th (10-20-30 etc, is it also called crown-year in English? doubt it) at the Dam Palace in Amsterdam, followed by a 50-hour long opening of the Palace for anyone who wishes to visit (fri 10 pm until Sun midnight).

On Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 he'll be hosting a private party for his royal friends, regular friends and family, starting with a sports and games day in the vicinity of Rotterdam (Oh the joyous prospect of seeing NQM trying to throw a toilet bowl, or even running), followed by a dinner at Noordeinde Palace and a party.

On Sunday 30th Max and Wax will receive their guests at Villa Eikenhorst for a brunch.

No royalty confirmed yet, but the Scandi's and the Belgians are expected.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2017, 05:12:55 PM »

In another topic I mentioned WA was going to see Abraham. I thought it was an international saying, but apparently it is more specific Dutch.  Hereby the provided explanation:

This year WA and his (direct) family will celebrate it in the Dutch town of Tilburg. Because of his jubilee this year, he will become 50 (seeing Abraham), there are some special events.

I don't mean to threadjack, but can you elaborate on what "seeing Abraham" means? Is that a Dutch cultural thing? Thanks!

In the Netherlands when a man or women becomes 50 years of age it is said resp.  "He has seen Abraham" or "She has seen Sara(h)"

"Abraham gezien hebben" (= have seen Abraham)

The phrase "have seen Abraham" apparently comes from a Bible story. Jezus said he had seen Abraham. As Abraham was then already dead for some centuries, Jezus wasn't believed by the Jews 'You are not yet 50, and have seen Abraham?"(Joh. 8:57). In the female version the Biblical name Sara(h) is used, which was the name of Abraham's wife.

The birthday boy/girl is often depicted with a (Abraham/Sara(h)) doll, while an apt slogan about the birthday boy/girl on or with it. Also, Abraham and Sara(h) may be donated as a cake on the birthday. After this age, they know where Abraham took the mustard from.

This last phrase refers to another Dutch saying:

"Weten waar Abraham de mosterd haalt" (= knowing where Abraham gets the mustard)

The origin of the term "Knowing where Abraham gets the mustard" is, according to several scientists and linguists in the Old Testament, Genesis 22-6, is which Abraham is told  to sacrifice his son on a fire. He collected mutsaards and "put the wood on the shoulders of his son." Mutsaard means "bush of branches." The word would be distorted into 'mustaard"and later to" mostaard ". Eventually became the word "mosterd". The term "Knowing where Abraham gets the mustard" means' He is aware, knows all. " Because Abraham knew where to pick up the bush of branches to sacrifice his son.

lellobeetle

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »

Thank you very much for the explanation, Princepessa.  Hug

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »

Thank you very much for the explanation, Princepessa.  Hug

You are welcome.

Often these thing are also a lesson/explanation for myself. Sometimes you are so used to specific things you are not aware they are a local/national thing. Through the questions of other RD members I become aware of it and in once in a while I have to search for explanations/background/etc myself Wink Smiley
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:04 AM »

On Friday 21st: Koningsspelen (games for primary school kids Nationwide) (the week after that is a school holiday)

On Thursday 27th (actual birthday) Koningsdag, with visit to Tilburg (city), accompanied by his family.

On Friday 28th the dinner party with 150 'ordinary people' who also celebrate a decade birthday on the 27th (10-20-30 etc, is it also called crown-year in English? doubt it) at the Dam Palace in Amsterdam, followed by a 50-hour long opening of the Palace for anyone who wishes to visit (fri 10 pm until Sun midnight).

On Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 he'll be hosting a private party for his royal friends, regular friends and family, starting with a sports and games day in the vicinity of Rotterdam (Oh the joyous prospect of seeing NQM trying to throw a toilet bowl, or even running), followed by a dinner at Noordeinde Palace and a party.

On Sunday 30th Max and Wax will receive their guests at Villa Eikenhorst for a brunch.

No never heard of crown year.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »

No never heard of crown year.

It's a direct translation of the Dutch word: kroonjaar.

In other words a special (jubilee) year, not only for royals but also for common people.
cordtx

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »

You are correct! We learn so much on RD!!
Royaltyfan

Warned
Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »

In another topic I mentioned WA was going to see Abraham. I thought it was an international saying, but apparently it is more specific Dutch.  Hereby the provided explanation:

This year WA and his (direct) family will celebrate it in the Dutch town of Tilburg. Because of his jubilee this year, he will become 50 (seeing Abraham), there are some special events.

I don't mean to threadjack, but can you elaborate on what "seeing Abraham" means? Is that a Dutch cultural thing? Thanks!

In the Netherlands when a man or women becomes 50 years of age it is said resp.  "He has seen Abraham" or "She has seen Sara(h)"

The phrase "have seen Abraham" apparently comes from a Bible story. Jezus said he had seen Abraham. As Abraham was then already dead for some centuries, Jezus wasn't believed by the Jews 'You are not yet 50, and have seen Abraham?"(Joh. 8:57). In the female version the Biblical name Sara(h) is used, which was the name of Abraham's wife.

The birthday boy/girl is often depicted with a (Abraham/Sara(h)) doll, while an apt slogan about the birthday boy/girl on or with it. Also, Abraham and Sara(h) may be donated as a cake on the birthday. After this age, they know where Abraham took the mustard from.

"Weten waar Abraham de mosterd haalt" (= knowing where Abraham gets the mustard)

The origin of the term "Knowing where Abraham gets the mustard" is, according to several scientists and linguists in the Old Testament, Genesis 22-6, is which Abraham is told  to sacrifice his son on a fire. He collected mutsaards and "put the wood on the shoulders of his son." Mutsaard means "bush of branches." The word would be distorted into 'mustaard"and later to" mostaard ". Eventually became the word "mosterd". The term "Knowing where Abraham gets the mustard" means' He is aware, knows all. " Because Abraham knew where to pick up the bush of branches to sacrifice his son.

Thank you for explaining.

Aren't there similiar expressions for other birthdays?
I remember a dutch co-worker telling me a few years ago (when she turned 30 or 35) about a doll in her garden, Grete or something.

I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart, I am never without it... - E.E. Cummings
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »

You are correct! We learn so much on RD!!

According to an answer on the internet (in Dutch; hereby translated):

What is the difference between a regular birthday and a jubilee year?" (jubilee year in Dutch described as kroonjaar)

So-called crown years as eighteen, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety and one hundred are of course often elaborate celebration or occasion for a party.

Several years Crown has been given a special name; all taken from the Bible:

50: Abraham and Sara
60: Isaac and Elisabeth
70: Jacob and Anna
80 years, Joseph and Deborah
90 years: Antonius or Ruth
100 years Methuselah or Judith

Except for Abraham and Sara for 50 year olds, the other namings were unknown to me.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »

I remember a dutch co-worker telling me a few years ago (when she turned 30 or 35) about a doll in her garden, Grete or something.

I guess she mend the relatively new tradition of half an Abraham or Sara doll when somebody turns 25.  Then you are half way 50 and therefore half a doll.
I encountered this way of celebrating a 25th birthday for the first time about 25-27 years ago.

Besides that the 30th birthday is by some considered to be a crownyear (kroonjaar).

I don't know a specific doll named Grete, Greta, Greet or Griet.
Royaltyfan

Warned
Small Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »

I guess she mend the relatively new tradition of half an Abraham or Sara doll when somebody turns 25.  Then you are half way 50 and therefore half a doll.
I encountered this way of celebrating a 25th birthday for the first time about 25-27 years ago.

Besides that the 30th birthday is by some considered to be a crownyear (kroonjaar).

I don't know a specific doll named Grete, Greta, Greet or Griet.

thank you for answering, I guess this is going completely OT.
She was already older than 25 at that time, I guess I have to ask her what it was about.

I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart, I am never without it... - E.E. Cummings
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

Perhaps we have to open an off topic topic for these kind of national customs and sayings Wink Smiley

As far as I know it is not regular to have a doll in the garden when becoming 30 or 35. But I can imagine that her friends or family decided they couldn't let it pass without doing something funny. And if I look back I see it more and more here in the Netherlands. Also a lot of the rental company's of those inflatable dolls and related also offer material for other events then 25, 50 birthdays or births or weddings/wedding jubilee. So why not, apparently there is a market for it. But I haven't heard of the name Grete.

In the Dutch region I grew up in there was another tradition with regard to decorate the garden or frontview of the house of a jubilee. But in that case it is for a wedding jubilee and not a birthday jubilee Wink

At weddings and anniversaries a triumphal arch will be put up before the front door, if the couple wants it least. According to the tradition this has to be requested by one of the neighbours. Before the arc is hammered by the male neighbours and lined with green branches. The neighbour ladies make white, pink (or which color wanted) florets of crepe paper and on the eve of the feast day the neighbors put together the arc.

Wedding

12,5 years anniversary

25 years:

50 years

60 years

As once discussed before the wedding jubilees especially celebrated in the Netherlands are: 12,5 years; 25 years; 40 years; 50 years; 55 years; 60 years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:21:00 AM by Principessa » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2017, 11:16:06 PM »

Personal interview with Willem-Alexander on the eve of his 50th birthday:

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/...l-in-openhartig-interview
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/...eeft-open-interview.dhtml

Some links to the interview and items around it:
https://www.npo.nl/interv...25-04-2017/WO_NTR_8594794