Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Willem-Alexander News  (Read 73192 times)
Catananche

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2017, 01:17:44 AM »

It was more interesting than I thought it would be. And a lot more emotional.

He still misses his father and he certainly misses his brother. He is very proud of his wife and his daughters, and he loves them very much.

I wish the interviewer had probed a little deeper/asked more about his mistakes (villa in Mozambique, fence in Greece, defending Zorreguieta in the press) because those events were also part of his story. It would have painted a fairer picture. Minor quibble because I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

He's clearly aware of his very privileged life. He is also aware that letting the public join the Royal Family in their joys and grief comes with the job.

What surprised me: no TV as a child, only radio*. Being teased/bullied in high school (in the Hague) for his (Baarn) accent and who he decided to learn the the Hague accent from. Getting the complete works of Van Kooten En De Bie to show his daughters and after pre-viewing it deciding to wait until they are a little older. I agree with him, some of their work is ... colourful. Funny, but not suited for under 15 year olds!
Growing up with a depressed father and a very busy mom is hard and going through puberty during that time makes it even harder to 'fight' with your parents for your independence.

*I'm only three years older than WA. We listened to the same radio shows and somehow that made me smile. I know exactly what music he listened to during those years.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2017, 03:49:54 AM »

April 25
Wax hosted and celebrated the 20th anniversary of the organization against chemical weapons, The Hague
Willem Alexander and Victoria gathered in The Hague to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

Astrid

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »

I found this link on a forum for pilots. Sorry if it has been a topic before. But whoa!! the Dutch king might be the copilot ob my next flight with KLM!? That surely is some advertizing! United Airlines cannot compete with that...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39946532
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2017, 12:23:00 AM »

I found this link on a forum for pilots. Sorry if it has been a topic before. But whoa!! the Dutch king might be the copilot ob my next flight with KLM!? That surely is some advertizing! United Airlines cannot compete with that...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39946532

You didn't know he flies for KLM once in a while to keep his required  flying hours up to date. In the past he flew among others so called city hoppers, if I am correct
jessmie

Medium Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2017, 02:54:31 AM »

Whaaaat??  Huh?

That's such a cool thing to hear! And a good thing that neither his family nor his government tried to prevent him from keeping a part-time job. The truth is that you're more likely to be hit by a car than die in an air crash or be involved in a major aircraft incident, but I assume that a co-pilot with no sufficient hours in a cockpit would create all sorts of security and insurance issues.

But well done him!! He clearly has a passion for it, which is not something you'd say for some of WA's peers!  Grin
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »

The Flying King....

He needs to maintain his skills/lincence by clocking hours in the same aircraft as the licence is for, obviously.
The government's airplane is (was) a Fokker 70, the PH-KBX (it was recently sold), and the older KLM Cityhopper planes were also Fokker 70s. These are now replaced by Embraers. I'm not sure if you can fly these Embraers with the Fokker licence, but as it happens, WAX decided some time ago he wanted bigger, better, cooler, faster, and started working on his 737 licence.  Of course KLM is happy to provide the good lad with the opportunity to clock his practice hours + maintenance hours.

How big a coincidence then, that the government (after a looooong process, caused by the need for less refuelling stops on intercontinental trips and a plane that could reach the Antilles non-stop) decided to purchase a Boeing 737, for the hefty sum op 89 million euros?!

The alternative, IIRC an Airbus (European....), would have cost about 18 million euros less. And here's the fun part: authorities deny and deny again that the fact that Wax is practicing for a licence in, oh, what number Boeing was that again, has anything to do with the decision.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »

temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »

It made the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2...alexander-pilot.html?_r=0
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Princess Gollumina wants her precioussss

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

And Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com...-guest-pilot-for-21-years

The Rally Prince driving (yes, it's really him)...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »

As mentioned in this article it wasn't a secret that WA did flights for KLM (and Martinair). I can recall having seen a picture many years ago of WA on Schiphol boarding a flight as crewmember (picture made by someone who encoutered him by coincidence)
Suzerain

Warned
Humongous Member

Heard Island and McDonald Islands Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Princess Gollumina wants her precioussss

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »

Funny if some people have not recognised him. I wonder what name he uses when he flies...  Thinking

Here's a couple of pictures from earlier times. Seems he's been interested in flying for a long time.

The Rally Prince driving (yes, it's really him)...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

Funny if some people have not recognised him. I wonder what name he uses when he flies...  Thinking

Here's a couple of pictures from earlier times. Seems he's been interested in flying for a long time.

Perhaps he got infected with the flying virus through his maternal grandfather prince Bernhard.

One of WA's known used names is W.A. van Buren (and variations on it). The last name Van Buren comes from Count van Buren, one of the many titles WA is entitled to. Previously king Willem III used the name Count van Buren. And queen Wilhelmina and queen Juliana were often incognito as Countess van Buren, for example at reservations for restaurants.

When WA skated the Elfstedentocht in 1986 he used the name W.A. van Buren, an inconspicuous name. Only during the skate ride it became who he really was......

Royalfan 72

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »

He said he greets the passengers on behalf of the captain so he does not need to introduce himself.
Astrid

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »

The Flying King....

He needs to maintain his skills/lincence by clocking hours in the same aircraft as the licence is for, obviously.
The government's airplane is (was) a Fokker 70, the PH-KBX (it was recently sold), and the older KLM Cityhopper planes were also Fokker 70s. These are now replaced by Embraers. I'm not sure if you can fly these Embraers with the Fokker licence, but as it happens, WAX decided some time ago he wanted bigger, better, cooler, faster, and started working on his 737 licence.  Of course KLM is happy to provide the good lad with the opportunity to clock his practice hours + maintenance hours.

How big a coincidence then, that the government (after a looooong process, caused by the need for less refuelling stops on intercontinental trips and a plane that could reach the Antilles non-stop) decided to purchase a Boeing 737, for the hefty sum op 89 million euros?!

The alternative, IIRC an Airbus (European....), would have cost about 18 million euros less. And here's the fun part: authorities deny and deny again that the fact that Wax is practicing for a licence in, oh, what number Boeing was that again, has anything to do with the decision.

No, one cannot fly an Embraer with a Fokker licence. He would have to retrain anyway. The way it was put in the Pilots forum was the other way around: the governement decided "if it ain't Boeing I ain't going" and that is why he choose to train for the 737. Maybe KLM has 737's and it would thus be cheaper to maintain them? It would not make much sense to train on a type if he can't fly one regularly. He would lose the licence.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:12:16 PM by Astrid » Logged
Aubiette

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »

How nice that he got to enjoy his passion. He was born into a life of duty and yes privilege too but being able to indulge in something he enjoys should only make him better at his 'day job' and happier overall. IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: