Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 176   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Philippe & Queen Mathilde  (Read 833908 times)
casie

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #2580 on: July 16, 2021, 07:30:50 PM »

Til and Phil visited Pepinster in the province of Liege today to meet people and see the flood damage

Aw, the kitty. Nerves
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2581 on: July 16, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »

Til and Phil visited Pepinster in the province of Liege today to meet people and see the flood damage

This picture made tears spring to my eyes instantly...the look of devastation on that lady's face, and the instinctive and unself-consciousness of Phil and Til in sharing their empathy.  Beautiful.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2582 on: July 16, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »

Aw, the kitty. Nerves

Sad  Sad   Sad

Glad it was rescued (and it's infinitely calmer than my kitty would be under similar circumstances!)

On a super trivial note, Mathilde looks great in this outfit, and so much more appropriate that Maxima's wild culotte-suit that she wore to visit the flood victims.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2583 on: July 16, 2021, 09:14:53 PM »

I’m starting to fall in love with this couple. I think they’re the real deal. 
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2584 on: July 16, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »

This picture made tears spring to my eyes instantly...the look of devastation on that lady's face, and the instinctive and unself-consciousness of Phil and Til in sharing their empathy.  Beautiful.

Also, this woman looks like she could be Til's sister; they have such similar profiles.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #2585 on: July 16, 2021, 10:10:28 PM »

I'm glad they visited effected communities again today, and in such a sympathetic and unshowy way.

Cool your jets, everyone
Pulsatilla

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #2586 on: July 16, 2021, 10:31:43 PM »

Those two are the real deal.  Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up
casie

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #2587 on: July 17, 2021, 04:07:28 AM »

Aw, the kitty. Nerves

Sad  Sad   Sad

Glad it was rescued (and it's infinitely calmer than my kitty would be under similar circumstances!)

On a super trivial note, Mathilde looks great in this outfit, and so much more appropriate that Maxima's wild culotte-suit that she wore to visit the flood victims.

Yeah, cats don't always cooperate, even when it's for their own good.  That one does look happy to be rescued.  I know the loss of human life in this tragedy has been enormous, but I can't help but think of the animals.  It's how I'm wired.

It is good to see Philippe and Mathilde out there talking to people. 
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #2588 on: July 17, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »

There was an interesting article written about King Phil last year which I was rereading and might explain some of the sensible decisions he and Mathilde have made (and remind us of how low expectations were for his reign)

https://www.politico.eu/a...matter-flanders-wallonia/

Two decades ago, Herman Liebaers, then the “grand marshal” in charge of the royal court, said in an interview about Philippe that “he just can’t do it.”

In the years before his father’s abdication handed him the crown, Philippe’s rigid public appearances were roundly mocked. After he criticized the far-right Vlaams Belang party in 2004, fears mounted over a “king with a mission.” Philippe said in an interview that Vlaams Belang wanted to destroy Belgium, but that he would make sure this didn’t happen. The interview was controversial, as Belgian royals are not supposed to state political preferences.

As recently as the beginning of the decade, when the 2010 parliamentary election left Belgium without a government for what was then a record-setting 589 days, some politicians admitted privately they were happy Philippe had not ascended to the throne, as they weren’t sure whether he could have handled the situation.

It wasn’t just politicians who had their doubts about the then-crown prince. Belgian media questioned his fitness to govern, and royal observers pointed to his difficult childhood; he was the oldest son of a difficult marriage, and by dint of his position was not permitted to take decisions on his future. King Boudewijn and Queen Fabiola, his uncle and aunt who have no children, took charge of his education after it became clear that Philippe would inherit the throne. He was required to finish high school at a boarding school in Flanders, where he found it difficult to make friends.

“The childless couple Boudewijn and Fabiola have made Philippe into a caricature: the prince without character,” Barend Leyts, now spokesperson for European Council President Charles Michel, wrote in his biography of Philippe.

The Belgian royal family is just like any other family: It has its issues. Philippe’s father, Albert II, made headlines earlier this year when a DNA test confirmed he had fathered the artist Delphine Boël during an extramarital affair, which he had long denied.

The family’s relationship with Philippe’s youngest brother Prince Laurent has also been difficult, especially after the younger royal became embroiled in a controversy over Muammar Gaddafi’s unpaid debts. Earlier this month, Laurent reacted to the toppling of Leopold II’s statues during Black Lives Matter protests by defending his ancestor and claiming the monarch could not be held responsible, as he “never went to Congo.”

So when Philippe ascended to the throne in 2013, Belgium braced for the worst, especially with the country headed for another election in 2014. But his first speech as king proved to be a turning point, earning him praise for speaking with confidence and respect about the sensitivities of both Flanders and Wallonia, the country’s fractious Flemish-speaking and French-speaking regions.

After the 2014 elections, Philippe succeeded fairly quickly in forming a government, though the coalition he helped build was so unprecedented — it had no majority in the French-speaking part of Belgium — that it was at first called the “kamikaze government.”

That success has been mostly attributed to Philippe’s entourage, most notably to his first chief of staff, Frans van Daele. One of Belgium’s most eminent diplomats and the former right-hand-man of European Council President Herman Van Rompuy, van Daele’s experience wrangling EU leaders seemed to prove useful in Belgian politics.

Van Daele declined to take credit. “For years, King Philippe has been underestimated,” he told POLITICO. “His own input was crucial for his successful start. And don’t forget he’s the one who carefully selected his own entourage.”

Philippe’s experience leading economic missions and state visits had allowed him to build an “up-to-date” and wide-ranging network of people to pick from, said Vincent Dujardin, professor of contemporary history at UCLouvain. “Creating a Cabinet is one of the few remaining powers our king has — and he has been very careful to keep a strict balance in terms of political plurality.”

It’s this new team that has burnished Philippe’s once tarnished image. Belgians now see him as a king who is (literally) close to his people, as he cycles the streets of Brussels or flies to Brazil to cheer Belgium’s football team. The media often portrays him as a devoted father, who takes his children to school and calls when he’s abroad. His handlers are also keen to show him as a man of flesh and blood, sweating when he runs a half-marathon in Brussels or breaking the waves as he kitesurfs on the North Sea.

The palace has also tried to shrug off its reputation as a fortified building full of mysteries. Political meetings have been moved from the palace in Laeken in outer Brussels to the palace in the city center, where it’s easier to film handshakes and where citizens can catch a glimpse of the royals.

The palace spokesperson, Rafike Yilmaz — crowned spokesperson of the year by Belgian journalists in the category “behind the scenes” — makes sure reporters are told how to interpret the subtle political messages the king gives in speeches, while at the same time providing details on the queen’s outfits.

The queen, Mathilde, has been crucial for the rising popularity of the royal family. Whereas Philippe can be a little stiff, Mathilde comes across as more accessible, an easy conversationalist capable of making visitors feel welcome and at ease.

“A king is not just head of state, but also head of nation,” van Daele said. “A part of a king’s role is to sympathize with your nation and to gain a sense of trust. His marriage with Queen Mathilde has played a tangible part in that.”

Cool your jets, everyone
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2589 on: July 17, 2021, 05:15:31 PM »

Excellent article FC!

I somehow knew that Til is the kind of wife who makes her husband better just by being around.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2590 on: July 17, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »

Excellent article FC!

I somehow knew that Til is the kind of wife who makes her husband better just by being around.

It's nice when our positive opinions/impressions of people turn out to be justified! 

This was really interesting; thanks FC!  I was curious when he was described as a "prince without character."  Does that mean no character as in no integrity, or no character as in no personality?
thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #2591 on: July 18, 2021, 03:44:42 AM »

Excellent article FC!

It's nice when our positive opinions/impressions of people turn out to be justified! 

This was really interesting; thanks FC!  I was curious when he was described as a "prince without character."  Does that mean no character as in no integrity, or no character as in no personality?

No character as in no personality. I think he’s proven he does have a personality now - just one that is quiet, thoughtful, and kind. Those seem to be mistaken as something bad at times, but it makes him a good king IMO. I agree that Mathilde does humanize and soften him as well.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #2592 on: July 19, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »

Excellent article FC!

No character as in no personality. I think he’s proven he does have a personality now - just one that is quiet, thoughtful, and kind. Those seem to be mistaken as something bad at times, but it makes him a good king IMO. I agree that Mathilde does humanize and soften him as well.

As to my knowledge Philippe (Filip) was often described as being dull, too bland, perhaps too much influence of Baudouin and Fabiola. The last is not a negative or lesser item, but seemed to contribute to the image of Philippe.

I guess he surprised many when his engagement and wedding to Mathilde was announced. Some thought he would be a bachelor forever, or perhaps be gay. But in general they couldn't remember Philippe with a girlfriend.

I think Philippe has proven himself. Yes he is still dull and bland sometimes, but in his own quiet style he gets thing done. Also a large amount of empathy, partially helped by his wife.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2593 on: July 19, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »

Tbf, if you look around to our world leaders, what seems to be their claim to fame is far more their glam factor, their larger than life persona, their ( in some cases almost pathological) extroverted look at me, listen to me and I have an opinion to everything and boiled eggs.
And when you look much closer, all you see is a facade and not much substance. They all get elected by a public that buys their rainbows and confetti.
I'd much liever had a head of state that might seem a tad dull, but who is geniune and caring, who is considerate and reflected and not out get the best picture and the most tweeted headline out.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2594 on: July 19, 2021, 03:17:53 PM »

Tbf, if you look around to our world leaders, what seems to be their claim to fame is far more their glam factor, their larger than life persona, their ( in some cases almost pathological) extroverted look at me, listen to me and I have an opinion to everything and boiled eggs.
And when you look much closer, all you see is a facade and not much substance. They all get elected by a public that buys their rainbows and confetti.
I'd much liever had a head of state that might seem a tad dull, but who is geniune and caring, who is considerate and reflected and not out get the best picture and the most tweeted headline out.

Amen to that Fairy!  Star

Spare me the show ponies - we need work horses.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 176   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: