Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Bernhard has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (lymph node cancer)  (Read 20017 times)
Sas

Small Member

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »

http://www.nu.nl/binnenla...eft-lymfeklierkanker.html

The cousin of King Willem-Alexander and the second son of princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The RVD announced that he will be unable to work and that doctors are researching. The prince also has Crohn's disease (already since a few years). The 43-year-old prince is married with princess Annette and has 3 young chilrdren: Isabella (11), Samuel (9), Benjamin (5).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hodgkin_lymphoma
Jonathan

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:03 AM »

This is terribly sad. The family are not having a good time at the moment

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
LadyBunion

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »

Oh dear - as if they haven't had enough lately!

Hopefully he will do well on treatment - as did Tim Taylor, husband of Lady Helen Windsor who was in his late 30's when he was diagnosed
Jonathan

Huge Member

Life's hard being fabulous

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »

I didn't know Tim Taylor had it. So it is curable?

Advice to my Brother on his wedding day

Never say

I know you do
I've had better
Did you say something
LadyBunion

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »

treatment can be pretty effective:

Outcome overall and by stage
The treatment of Hodgkin lymphoma is often very successful and many people are cured. Overall, more than 80 out of every 100 people (80%) diagnosed in England and Wales will live for at least 5 years after diagnosis.

As with many other types of cancer, the outcome depends on how advanced your cancer is when it is diagnosed. In other words, the stage of your cancer.

Early stage Hodgkin lymphoma means stage 1 or 2 disease. Between 91 and 94 out of every 100 people (91 to 94%) diagnosed with early stage Hodgkin lymphoma will live for at least 5 years.

With the more advanced stage 3 and 4 Hodgkin lymphoma between 59 and 90 out of every 100 people (59 to 90%) will live for at least 5 years.

The type of Hodgkin lymphoma will affect how successful treatment is likely to be. Younger people also tend to do better. For example, the most recent 5 year survival rates in people aged 15 to 49 were about 90%. In people aged over 70 the 5 year survival was about 30%.

But hard going ... http://www.dailymail.co.u...cked-husbands-ordeal.html
Marie

Muted
Gigantic Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

How sad ! This family is going through very challenging times.

Je suis Charlie
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:58 AM »

Sometimes.

Such sad news. Again, thank goodness the family is so very close. I imagine Bea will be as supportive to Margriet as Margriet has been to her.
TexasBear

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

Just wanted to be clear that Prince Bernhard has non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), which includes a wide variety of blood cancers; in fact, it includes any lymphoma other than Hodgkin's lymphoma. NLH vary greatly in aggressiveness and the label of NHL doesn't really mean much until the cancer is further classified.

I believe Tim Taylor had Hodgkin lymphoma, which is very, very, treatable as it is responds well to radiation therapy. Five year survival rates for HL are over 90%.
Lady Alice

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »

Good Lord. The poor family! Best wishes to him and his family - doesn't matter what cancer, or how close the family may be; dealing with it is so very hard.

BessieWallis Warfield

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:46 AM »

Just wanted to be clear that Prince Bernhard has non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), which includes a wide variety of blood cancers; in fact, it includes any lymphoma other than Hodgkin's lymphoma. NLH vary greatly in aggressiveness and the label of NHL doesn't really mean much until the cancer is further classified.

I believe Tim Taylor had Hodgkin lymphoma, which is very, very, treatable as it is responds well to radiation therapy. Five year survival rates for HL are over 90%.

Unfortunately, you are right.  You can't compare this to the treatable Hodgkin's disease - this is a much rougher form of the disease.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:33:46 AM »

Unfortunately, you are right.  You can't compare this to the treatable Hodgkin's disease - this is a much rougher form of the disease.
Poor Bernhard and his family. I hope that the treatment will be successful.
esther angeline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:09:45 AM »

Jacqueline Onassis died from non Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Harley
Board Helper
Ginormous Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »

Poor Bernhard and his family. I hope he'll be well soon!

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »

Sad news! All the best for Bernhard and his family!
Tatini

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

I know from experience that most of such NHL lymphomas are treatable, if not all of them are curable. If they are aggressive, they are potentially very dangerous but curable. The indolent forms are not all curable ( the treatment stops the illness for a long time, but it eventually comes back)  but treatable and, being slow and not aggressive, if diagnosed early the patient might go on for years without requiring treatment. The indolent forms are more common among elderly patients. I suspect Bernhard's is aggressive, or he wouldn't have had to seek immediate treatment. My heart goes out t o him and his famiy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: