Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William, Kate & Animals  (Read 26038 times)
ScottishRose
Banned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Just call me the real rebel without a cause

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:25:45 AM »

I find it appalling such dogs were put down and more effort was not made to find them a home.  Real mad

But I fail to see how Will is to blame.  Thinking Was he made aware, and had a chance to save them  Confused
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 03:02:30 AM »

You mean that they were killed?Huh?Huh?Huh?

yes. Angry
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »

I find it appalling such dogs were put down and more effort was not made to find them a home.  Real mad

But I fail to see how Will is to blame.  Thinking Was he made aware, and had a chance to save them  Confused

It has nothing to do with him per se....what I criticize is the fact that he probably knew about what kind of procedures are going on with the dogs.

And if you are famous, and have some kind of influence, you should use it to help, and rescue.

And why don't they have special programs for dogs like this. Not only adopt them out to the Millers if they can "behave", but find people who are willing to be a dog owner for these service animals.

Hibou

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »

It has nothing to do with him per se....what I criticize is the fact that he probably knew about what kind of procedures are going on with the dogs.

And if you are famous, and have some kind of influence, you should use it to help, and rescue.

And why don't they have special programs for dogs like this. Not only adopt them out to the Millers if they can "behave", but find people who are willing to be a dog owner for these service animals.

I doubt William knew anything about this at all. I can't fault him. However, as I said in my earlier post, dogs like this have the training equivalent of a PhD. They only attack on command. They are highly trained. There are dog lovers who are adept at handling these dogs. I do think the older dog may have truly had medical issues which can be quite expensive, however, again there are people who can afford to help with the bills. I have always adopted rescue dogs. My current dog is about 8 years old and has arthritis and just completed her physical therapy and cold laser treatments. Not cheap but she is a lovely dog. I'm sure someone in the UK could have taken these two animals. JMO. 
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Probably don't know what timezone I am in.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 03:48:57 AM »

I definitely agree. It would be amazing if William started a program for rescues like this (minding that such a program may already exist?) but we do not know really anything about what happened in this situation and to say that somehow magically William is suppose to stop this or be aware of this seems (IMO) to be extreme. What we know so far is what the media has reported and the connection to William seems very tenuous. Perhaps our British posters may know more about this practice or if its well known? All in all, I do not see how this issue is of more immediate importance or worthy of William's unlimited time and influence than impoverished children, cuts in jobs, medical care etc or even the fact that there are many animals without homes in the UK and many shelters have to put down animals. William can hardly be expected to save them all.

Maybe he knew about this, maybe he didn't. Maybe he even knew and tried to find homes for these animals (unlikely of course). Either way, I do find this outrage to be sorta misplaced. Is William now responsible for every screwed up policy in the military?

ED: for grammar blah
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:54:12 AM by wisdomheaven » Logged
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 04:05:04 AM »

I find it appalling such dogs were put down and more effort was not made to find them a home.  Real mad

But I fail to see how Will is to blame.  Thinking Was he made aware, and had a chance to save them  Confused

I definitely agree. It would be amazing if William started a program for rescues like this (minding that such a program may already exist?) but we do not know really anything about what happened in this situation and to say that somehow magically William is suppose to stop this or be aware of this seems (IMO) to be extreme. What we know so far is what the media has reported and the connection to William seems very tenuous. Perhaps our British posters may know more about this practice or if its well known? All in all, I do not see how this issue is of more immediate importance or worthy of William's unlimited time and influence than impoverished children, cuts in jobs, medical care etc or even the fact that there are many animals without homes in the UK and many shelters have to put down animals. William can hardly be expected to save them all.

Maybe he knew about this, maybe he didn't. Maybe he even knew and tried to find homes for these animals (unlikely of course). Either way, I do find this outrage to be sorta misplaced. Is William now responsible for every screwed up policy in the military?

Of course everybody has their own opinion, but as many of us are dog lovers here, and adopt almost all rescue animals, your statement that "this outrage might be extreme" is uncalled for (even if you edited your post now, and replaced it with tenuous) JMO, of course.

Aside from Will knowing about these habits or not (which I still believe he did - it's a small unit, and you have to be blind to not see this kind of stuff), he is the future monarch. And as such responsible for the welfare of all of Britain's inhabitants. He also is a military man, and as future monarch the head of all the military!

Why is he fiddling around with the Tusk fund and preservation efforts in Africa, if he can do something worth while and be involved in something that makes sense in his own country.

These animals protect soldiers at home and overseas in combat. These animals protect British citizens. What better message to send than we take care of a living soul, despite issues and age, after it has served and protected us.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:20:27 AM by PeDe » Logged

esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 04:16:13 AM »

PeDe I absolutely agree with you.   Star
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:18 AM »

I find it appalling such dogs were put down and more effort was not made to find them a home.  Real mad

But I fail to see how Will is to blame.  Thinking Was he made aware, and had a chance to save them  Confused

Of course everybody has their own opinion, but as many of us are dog lovers here, and adopt almost all rescue animals, your statement that "this outrage might be extreme" is uncalled for (even if you edited your post now, and replaced it with tenuous) JMO, of course.

Aside from Will knowing about these habits or not (which I still believe he did - it's a small unit, and you have to be blind to not see this kind of stuff), he is the future monarch. And as such responsible for the welfare of all of Britain's inhabitants. He also is a military man, and as future monarch the head of all the military!

Why is he fiddling around with the Tusk fund and preservation efforts in Africa, if he can do something worth while and be involved in something that makes sense in his own country.

These animals protect soldiers at home and overseas in combat. These animals protect British citizens. What better message to send than we take care of a living soul, despite issues and age, after it has served and protected us.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I didn't edit out the extreme part, its still in my post....

I don't like the reference to me not being a dog lover. I mentioned I grew up around training animals and LOVE German Shepherds especially. My four current dogs are GS rescues and mixes and I am passionate about animals rights so please do not think I am somehow less hurt by this than you. I just don't know if I can blame William without knowing the full story. That is MY opinion. I am allowed to state that other opinions might be extreme (and I said might in my original post because again, I don't know the full story)

I also agreed with you about him starting a program or lending his support to an additional program. But I am not going to fault him for supporting Tusk over other programs in the UK or other issues. Tusk is admirable too and people are passionate about topics like animal welfare in different ways and avenues.

I really did not mean for this to turn into some weird competition about whose heart breaks more for animals
ScottishRose
Banned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Just call me the real rebel without a cause

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »

If these dogs had been killed on any other base, it would not have made the news. Will may know they existed, likely as I doubt he'd not notice them on a small base, but would he know they were old and about to be put down  Thinking Highly unlikely IMO.

There are several royals who should be concerned. The Queen for instance is patron of the RSPCA.

and of http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:41:29 AM »

And just to be more clear (and since editing one's post is suspect) I admire all of the dishers who work with, campaign for and adopt/rescue animals. I know the preference for purebreds is very strong and I think its a beautiful thing to bring in a rescue for both the animal and its human. Hug

And good point Scottish Rose. Champagne The Queen is also supposed to  be a huge animal lover if her troop of corgis and horses are to go by. Sometimes I wonder if she likes them more than humans  Shocked and I can't see her with anything but a purebred corgi.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 04:50:53 AM »

I don't like the reference to me not being a dog lover. I mentioned I grew up around training animals and LOVE German Shepherds especially. My four current dogs are GS rescues and mixes and I am passionate about animals rights so please do not think I am somehow less hurt by this than you. I just don't know if I can blame William without knowing the full story. That is MY opinion. I am allowed to state that other opinions might be extreme (and I said might in my original post because again, I don't know the full story)

I also agreed with you about him starting a program or lending his support to an additional program. But I am not going to fault him for supporting Tusk over other programs in the UK or other issues. Tusk is admirable too and people are passionate about topics like animal welfare in different ways and avenues.

I really did not mean for this to turn into some weird competition about whose heart breaks more for animals

I did not infer that you are not a dog lover - if you took it as that, you misunderstood me.

I didn't like you labeling our concern and discontent as "extreme" regarding a situation where animals are discarded after service to the ones they protect, being that they are older, sickly, or have other issues.

If you read my initial post, I questioned angrily the practice of this habit in the military - in this case the British one. But I'm sure this kind of procedure is practiced in lots of military units all over the world. It had nothing to do with William. He came up as the conversation progressed.

And you are right, you expressed your opinion to something I wrote, and I did the same in return. That's the beauty of Royal Dish.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »

Well said, Peeds.  I couldn't agree more.  Screw that horse-faced idiot for not helping these dogs.  I never liked him before, but I really think he's a shitty human now.  He could have done more to help these dogs find homes.  Instead he did what he's best at doing-nothing.   Thumb down
wisdomheaven

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 05:03:08 AM »

I did not infer that you are not a dog lover - if you took it as that, you misunderstood me.

I didn't like you labeling our concern and discontent as "extreme" regarding a situation where animals are discarded after service to the ones they protect, being that they are older, sickly, or have other issues.

If you read my initial post, I questioned angrily the practice of this habit in the military - in this case the British one. But I'm sure this kind of procedure is practiced in lots of military units all over the world. It had nothing to do with William. He came up as the conversation progressed.

And you are right, you expressed your opinion to something I wrote, and I did the same in return. That's the beauty of Royal Dish.

It seems both of us are maybe misreading each other. I didn't mean to imply anything negative about your concern other then my opinion that we don't know the full story behind this practice and I personally wasn't sure why William was being blamed for it. I hope some reporter looks into it. This is a heated topic and rightly so. Since I am not able to adequately address my view without offending another poster (which was not my intent and I am sorry if it came across that way  No ) I am just going to bow out of this thread.

I hope William does great work on behalf of animals everywhere and that we can see any brutal practices against animals done away with.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

#TeamTessy4Lyfe

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »

Hunting:

The brothers have visited the estate before and last time were said to have bagged a staggering 740 partridge on a single day.

http://www.dailymail.co.u...weekend-hunting-trip.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/496138.stm

Prince Charles and Camilla were in Africa, but gave the run of their Scottish home to William – who killed his first stag when he was 14.

http://www.dailymail.co.u...g-Day-pheasant-shoot.html

http://www.londonnet.co.u...ds-birds-harry-shoot.html

http://www.people.com/peo...ticle/0,,20143032,00.html

Poorly thought out foundation coming soon, exact launch date tbc
LucyGoose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »

a new thread to collect all upcoming information - JUST LIKE EFFING THIS ONE  Ranting Real mad Ranting Ranting

Two guard dogs that protected Prince William on RAF duty are destroyed days after he quits because they couldn't be redeployed or re-homed.

Belgium shepherd Brus, pictured right, and German shepherd Blade
were destroyed on Friday just a few days after he left the service

Much loved: Belgian Shepherd Brus, aged seven and a half,
had 'come to the end of his work life'

The Ministry of Defence said Brus, aged seven and a half, ‘had come to the end of his work life’ while Blade, nine and a half, could not be reassigned to other duties due to ‘a record of veterinary and behavioural issues’.

Blink Blink Blink

The Duke of Cambridge finished his last shift at the RAF Valley in Anglesey last Tuesday.

It is believed that the two dogs were put down on Friday – but last night the MoD said the timing was ‘entirely coincidental’.  Snare

A spokesman stressed that the prince did not work with the dogs, which were used to provide extra security at the base.

‘The department’s policy is to re-home all military working dogs at the end of their  service life wherever practicable,’ he said.

‘Regrettably, however, there are occasions when they have to be put down.

'This action is only ever taken as a last resort. Unfortunately in this case the dogs were unsuitable for re-homing or alternative  duties and so sadly, for the animal’s welfare, they had to be put down.’

An RAF source said: ‘To be clear they were RAF Valley security patrol dogs, not sole protection for Prince William. The timing of their sad demise is purely coincidental.

'These dogs had played an invaluable role offering security to our personnel over many years and were much loved by their handlers, who had an extremely strong bond with them.

^^^^^^
‘Sadly these dogs had a record of veterinary and behavioural issues which meant that they could not be reassigned to other duties and they were too aggressive to be kept at home.’ A spokesman for the prince declined to comment.

how does this make sense?

My first German Shepherd went through rigorous police training (but was not a service dog) and had lived as a guard dog for 5 years before we got him. Unless they were not treated right....they shouldn't be any behavioural issues.

either 'These dogs had played an invaluable role offering security to our personnel over many years and were much loved by their handlers ...... OR ..... had a record of veterinary and behavioural issues

This is making me so fucking angry  Ranting

PeDe usually on animals retirement,the person who trained  them adopt, to not make the dog suffer with the separation.

Anyways now Seabiscuit is on my "hate" list Ranting

This makes me very angry too. As someone who works with animal rescue and has owned several rescue dogs - there is a HUGE difference between a dog who has 'come to the end of his work life' and the end of a dog's natural life. 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 are not that old for dogs. I am very surprised that the handlers would allow this to happen. And this is a dog who has been with you for years, and you let powers that be put them to sleep?? 

I truly hope that this is a sad coincidence that Willy has left RAF and these 2 canines have been put down.

If not, well, all I can say is no one (animal or human) is safe when Willy and his brood mare get involved. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:37:09 PM by LucyGoose » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: