Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Máxima will be Regent for Amalia  (Read 9613 times)
Rescue

Large Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:28 AM »

That's true, and especially in regards to Catholics for obvious historical reasons.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »

True, but the Dutch have a tendency to "see bears in the road" - see all kinds of dangers where there aren't any (yet)
Are the bears riding bicycles Huh?
Sas

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »

The Dutch would only accept a member of the Orange-Nassau family as their monarch. But in the case that King W-A would die too young, C-A would automatically become the Queen. Máxima would only be a regent for a relatively short time, till Queen C-A turns 18.
Sas

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »

Queen Máxima will be regent in the case King Willem-Alexander dies and the heiress Catharina-Amalia, the Princess of Orange, is still a minor. The decision was taken by unanimous vote during a Joint Session of the States General today.
winx

Humongous Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »

She will only be regent by name, The Oranges will NEVER allow anything but that!!

fogdancer

Big Member

Brazil Brazil

He dances! Be jealous Jagger

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »

I mean no offense by this; it's a genuine question.
Would people accept a Catholic foreigner as regent? I know she's popular, but given her family history...

Assuming these are adults on this site, I wonder what is wrong about religion?
Sons and daughters should be punished, exonerated the life that they have or will have because of the acts of their parents?
Nowadays it's so ridiculous to think so, religions and habits change, there are exceptions to the rules and the world continues, I honestly don't understand your way of thinking, so full of racism, knock knock are you okay Thinking
Let Máxima and mind about another "icons of royalty" doing things wrong.

In the lack of the words, be fluent in diamonds.
Cloaked

Muted
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 12:55:45 AM »

The fact that the decision was an unanimous one says that the Dutch have great confidence in Maxima's loyalty to The Netherlands.
I think that their decision was a sensible and practical one.

Maxima has also shown that she and her mother, brother and sisters-in-law get along comfortably and respectfully.
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »

Would people accept a Catholic foreigner as regent? I know she's popular, but given her family history...

Sons and daughters should be punished, exonerated the life that they have or will have because of the acts of their parents?
Nowadays it's so ridiculous to think so, religions and habits change, there are exceptions to the rules and the world continues, I honestly don't understand your way of thinking, so full of racism, knock knock are you okay Thinking
I've read that when Princess Irene married Prince Carlos, that there was grumbling in some of the Protestant communities, but with more Catholic women married into the Dutch royal family (Marilene, Aimee, Maxima), I doubt that it would be a real concern today. Dutch posters do you have any thing to add?
Helena

Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 05:12:30 AM »

I believe her position as regent would be a figurehead one only.   Should Maxima need to be reminded of her role, the Family and the Government would have no hesitation to remind her.
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »

I've read that when Princess Irene married Prince Carlos, that there was grumbling in some of the Protestant communities, but with more Catholic women married into the Dutch royal family (Marilene, Aimee, Maxima), I doubt that it would be a real concern today. Dutch posters do you have any thing to add?

Happy to try!

this is a very quick synopsis though!!

Our 'Vader des Vaderlands', 16th century Willem van Oranje, was born in Germany and raised Lutheran. When at age 11 he inherited land and titles from his childless uncle René de Chalon, he had to become a 'good catholic' in order to claim (a.o.) the Orange-bit. He went to Bruxelles to receive a catholic education. His second wife, Anna van Saksen, was lutheran, but Willem remains a catholic He is however interested in other religious beliefs and is convinced religion is a personal choice. Spain (Filips II) rules over Holland, and Willem becomes an advisor to him, and later 'stadhouder' for some provinces. Willem however wants more religious freedom for his people. Spain says no. Besides that, the people are taxed etc harshly, and resistance against the Spanish increases, both by catholics and protestants. Willem tries it the diplomatic way but eventually turns to violence. His armies drive the Spanish out of parts of Holland and freedom of religion is established. Filips is not amused and wants to get rid of Willem. Eventually he is murdered by Balthasar Gerards in 1584.
The Oranges turned to protestantism only in next generations, and the PR spin was conveniently focused towards protestantism (luther/calvin), because after all, 'those evil Spanish were catholics". This feeling was so strong, that some even think that our monarch MUST be a protestant (actually, Nederlands Hervormd, ie Dutch Reformed). Conveniently, many German houses are also protestant (thus ensuring a fair number of marriage candidates). Also, for a long time, it was very hard for catholics to get top crust jobs, especially ones related to the royal family or public service.
When in 1964 Irene wanted to marry (the French born) Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parma, a controversial pretender for the Spanish throne at the time (eventually JC got that one), and had secretly converted to catholicism, the sh*t hit the fan, sort of. She did not ask for permission to marry, so stepped out of the line of succession, wed in Rome, without her parents or sisters present.

She did pave the way however for the others. When her younger sister Christina married a catholic, she didn't ask for parliamentary permission either, but it was fine. Only a few eyebrows were raised when she converted to catholicism later on.

Margriet's son Maurits, iirc the First of Juliana's grandchildren that married, married a catholic girl (Marilène), and they asked and received permission.  The hoohaa about the permission for WaxMax' had nothing to do with her religion but everything with the political activities of her father.
She is still a catholic, although WaxMax promised to raise the kids Nederlands Hervormd.
Nowhere in the constitution etc is a rule that our monarch should be a protestant (unlike the UK btw, or silly Berleburg).

We have our religious freedom here, there is no state religion - so a marriage only in church doesn't count here, you need to go to the registry office/town hall etc for the real thing!

hth  Grin

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 07:08:31 AM »

Star Jumping ::banana::pomme!! Dank u vel.
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »

Alsjeblieft  Smiley

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »

@Pomme

"..We have our religious freedom here, there is no state religion - so a marriage only in church doesn't count here, you need to go to the registry office/town hall etc for the real thing!..."

I am so used to this way, that I am often surprised that elsewhere the religion marriage is sufficient.
babalux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »

Great summary, Pomme!  Star

When in 1964 Irene wanted to marry (the French born) Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parma, a controversial pretender for the Spanish throne at the time (eventually JC got that one), and had secretly converted to catholicism, the sh*t hit the fan, sort of. She did not ask for permission to marry, so stepped out of the line of succession, wed in Rome, without her parents or sisters present.

She did pave the way however for the others. When her younger sister Christina married a catholic, she didn't ask for parliamentary permission either, but it was fine. Only a few eyebrows were raised when she converted to catholicism later on.
Ain't that the truth. I hope the others are grateful for that cause Irene really got the short end of the stick. Same with dear old Pieter Van Vollenhoven and the treatment he got for being the first commoner to marry into the RF.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »

Considering the debate in the Netherlands about Maxima at the time of the wedding: her choosing to stay Catholic and not the least her father's past in a very questionable regime I think these are totally reasonable questions. No doubt Maxima is very popular but there was a worry about her so I fail to see what's wrong with wondering if these things are still being debated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: