Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Poll
Question: Should William step down and let Harry be the next Prince of Wales after Charles?
Yes, William is clearly not a good choice to be a future king. - 90 (59.2%)
Yes, but someone other than Harry should be PoW, who ______________? - 7 (4.6%)
No, William will grow into his future role. - 20 (13.2%)
No, the whole monarchy will collapse anyway before he becomes one. - 31 (20.4%)
Other, what? - 4 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 151

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Willy remove himself from the line of succession?  (Read 79506 times)
leatherface

Big Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

William should man up and get his head out of his ass, if he and Lazy are going to enjoy the perks of being Mr & Mrs HRH the heir to the heir then they need do accept the responsibilities and not sulk, renunciation is not an option for Seabiscuit so he had better gird his loins and get moving if he wants those perks and more to remain for himself and his family.
aravis

Small Member

Melly who? What a revolting Mortal

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

welcome to the board candy Hug 
great thread suze
love love your avi crayon.   Cat    go to gooey about animals    Thinking
aravis

Small Member

Melly who? What a revolting Mortal

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »

anyway good idea !  lazies should move abroad and leave the world alone. haz'll fix it. 
but if they would have to earn their own living waity might wonder off   Thinking
Cheesy
Banned
Banned
Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »

I believe Harry is more charismatic and handles the media better than Wills who to me likes to play the professional victim card a little to much.
They are NOT ordinary citizens and as such should not expect to be treated as such. I do believe that he would secretly rather give it all up. The wife, on the other hand, I'm not so sure  Crazy
mjkimura1976

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »

Just a little point of contention (hopefully nothing serious). Isn't the title Prince of Wales a title given by the monarch to the eldest son? Isn't something that the monarch has the discretion to give, and something that doesn't automatically come to the eldest son? Just a point.
Now on topic... Charles probably can't speak much Welsh, but at least he tried to learn the language and studied in Wales just to bond (probably not the right word), with his future subjects, something I can't see William doing.
Kiki LaShrewd

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »

If William wanted out it probably means he want to take George  with him. In the event that it would require an act of Parliament then that would happen and quickly. It's laughable to think that if Seabiscuit did this tomorrow that Parliament/the public/the rest of the monarchy would enter into some 17 or 18 yr stand off waiting for some kid raised by an angry horse and a dull robot to decide if he want to play King. Part of the way a monarchy is able to stay around is because it creates an image of continuity and stability and waiting around for George to make a decision would be ridiculous. I can just see a hardworking public burdened with taxes and the burdens of day to day life not minding at all if some bratty teenage boy is trying to decide if he wants to keep being normal or become a glorified leech. Will he? Won't he? Oh please say yes George PLEASE. We want to financially support you and all of your descendants even if your parents basically told us to get out of their lives and yours so they could go play Mr and Mrs Normal out in Bucklebury. Sure there have been other royals working during these years but we are all waiting on you George. Because the significant changes that will happen in the 24 hours where you go from being 17 to 18 will leave you fully capable of making an appropriate, well thought out decision. TAKE OUR MONEY GEORGE. PLEASE.

There is always a way around the rules anyway and royals have been finding them and using them for their benefit to get what they want for centuries. All the rules are ridiculous(in that loopholes either always exist or are quickly made when needed) and to me point out what a ridiculous institution a monarchy is in the first place.
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »

This is taken from the Wikipedia entry on the Prince of Wales:

The title Prince of Wales is given only to the heir apparent—that is, somebody who cannot be displaced in the succession to the throne by any future birth. The United Kingdom had practiced male primogeniture, which meant that the heir apparent was the eldest son of the reigning monarch, or, if he was deceased, his eldest son, and so on, or if the monarch's eldest son had died without issue, the monarch's second eldest son, etc. As such, a daughter of the sovereign who was next in line to the throne was never the "heir apparent" because she would be displaced in the succession by any future legitimate son of the sovereign, and could not therefore take the title.
On October 28, 2011, the leaders of all 16 Commonwealth realms agreed to end the practice of male primogeniture regarding heirs to the throne.[4] The Succession to the Crown Act 2013 was introduced on December 12, 2012, published the next day, and received the Royal Assent on 25 April 2013.[5] The change will be implemented simultaneously in all 16 realms after the necessary legislation has been passed in those that need to amend their constitutions. No woman has ever held the title Princess of Wales in her own right, although a female first child may one day hold that title.
Since the title of Prince of Wales is not automatic, there have been times where there was no Prince of Wales. There was no heir apparent during the reign of George VI, who had no sons. Princess Elizabeth was heiress presumptive, and was hence not eligible to be titled Princess of Wales. After it became obvious that George VI was unlikely to father more children, the option of bestowing the title of Princess of Wales was considered (but ultimately rejected, due in large part to a lack of enthusiasm for the idea from the heiress presumptive herself). There was also no Prince of Wales for the first several years of the reign of Elizabeth II. Prince Charles was not named Prince of Wales until 1958 when he was nine years old.
The title of Princess of Wales has always been held by the Prince's wife in her capacity as spouse of the heir apparent and therefore future queen consort. The current Princess of Wales is HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall who automatically assumed the title upon her legal marriage to Charles, Prince of Wales. Camilla however has chosen not to be publicly known by the title due to its association with her predecessor, Diana.

The title and estates of the Duchy of Cornwall will automatically become William's when Charles becomes King because this was established by charter in the 14th century and is now treated as an Act of Parliament.  
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 01:15:57 AM »

If William wanted out it probably means he want to take George  with him. In the event that it would require an act of Parliament then that would happen and quickly. It's laughable to think that if Seabiscuit did this tomorrow that Parliament/the public/the rest of the monarchy would enter into some 17 or 18 yr stand off waiting for some kid raised by an angry horse and a dull robot to decide if he want to play King. Part of the way a monarchy is able to stay around is because it creates an image of continuity and stability and waiting around for George to make a decision would be ridiculous. ...

I very much doubt this.  There's no question that any alteration to the succession would need an Act of Parliament and in a case involving a minor the Court of Protection may need to be involved to ensure the child's interests were protected.  Whatever opinion might be held about his father it wouldn't affect his son's right to make his own decisions when old enough and to have his position as heir protected in the meantime.  If this happened and George became King when still underage then Prince Harry as the next adult in line of succession after him is the designated Regent. 

Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:37 AM »

If William wanted out it probably means he want to take George  with him. In the event that it would require an act of Parliament then that would happen and quickly. It's laughable to think that if Seabiscuit did this tomorrow that Parliament/the public/the rest of the monarchy would enter into some 17 or 18 yr stand off waiting for some kid raised by an angry horse and a dull robot to decide if he want to play King. Part of the way a monarchy is able to stay around is because it creates an image of continuity and stability and waiting around for George to make a decision would be ridiculous. ...

I very much doubt this.  There's no question that any alteration to the succession would need an Act of Parliament and in a case involving a minor the Court of Protection may need to be involved to ensure the child's interests were protected.  Whatever opinion might be held about his father it wouldn't affect his son's right to make his own decisions when old enough and to have his position as heir protected in the meantime.  If this happened and George became King when still underage then Prince Harry as the next adult in line of succession after him is the designated Regent. 
AFAI Understand the crown could only go to Harry if Willnot's line died out (god forbid), since his death or abdication would not influence Simba's position in the lineup. If Willnot snuffs it before Simba is of age, I guess Kannot won't be regent (Rule #3 no spouses) unlike Max would be for C-A in case Wax snuffed it before C-A is 18. Which does make me sleep a bit easier.

Someone on RD pointed to this wonderful video of the 101 on British succession.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUY6HGqYweQ

I really need to live for at least another 30 years just to experience what will happen after Chuck's reign. And to see if those horoscope predictions were a load of Seabiscuit-manure or true. Best intensify the healthy life style thingie!

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 02:09:29 AM »

A Regent rules temporarily as a substitute when the monarch is underage.  The rules on regency have been established by Parliament and any variation has to be made by Act of Parliament.  This was the case when Prince Philip was made the designated regent for Prince Charles in the event of the Queen dying or becoming incapacitated before Charles reached 18.  Under the existing rules the regent would have been Princess Margaret as the next adult in line of succession.  When Charles reached 18 he became the designated regent for his mother if for any reason she became incapable of fulfilling her role.  

As things stand Harry is the designated regent if George becomes King before he reaches 18.  
p011y

Micro Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure that, if W died, his successor would be George. But what would happen if W renounce the throne? He can do it before Charles's death, or must wait and then abdicate?
a commoner
Banned
Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 02:15:02 AM »

I think if William wanted to take himself out of the line of succession the legal process would be by Act of Parliament.  Prince George would then take his father's place and I'm sure Parliament would establish some means of safeguarding George's interests.  However I very much doubt that William has any intention of stepping aside or abdicating. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:22:05 AM by a commoner » Logged
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Pitcairn Pitcairn

"The gauntlet is definitely thrown down. Stay safe

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 02:48:25 AM »

William will be just fine in the long run and I believe that he will be a good king.
candyflower

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 04:53:30 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  Smiley

If William removed himself from the line of succession I think he would take George with him if he is still a minor. I don't think he would let his son have to go through with what he didn't want to do.
freethespoon

Most Exalted Member

BooHoo Sugars

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 04:55:44 AM »

Unless William gets help for his - IMO only - significant issues, his reign will be diabolical.  I hope and pray Australia is well and truly a republic by the time he gets the gig.  That way, we can watch and laugh from afar.

Ain't nobody got time for Mary's sh*t.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: