Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate's - COCKTAIL (shorter) dresses  (Read 291658 times)
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

in search of ethical emerald tiaras

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »

The Duchess of Cambridge’s elegance tells a compelling story of British style, blending international designers along great British labels. The @Gucci dress worn today by the Duchess of Cambridge demonstrates the continuing influence of 1960s style on contemporary fashion.

https://twitter.com/V_and...status/880464480936894465

https://twitter.com/V_and...status/880464754262892544

Blink   Laughing That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: June 30, 2017, 02:28:53 AM »

Did someone give her a boxed set of 'Man Men'?
She's studying the clothes and taking screen captures over to the designers as samples.
 Crazy

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »

Unidentified designer

Phina

Large Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »

Unidentified designer

It's Catherine Walker.
Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: July 16, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »

It looks too small
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: July 16, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

Looking more and more the dress, I don't think it has stains. The grey patterns remind me of the blew flower patterns of the dress that they are right below.

Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: July 16, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

It looks too small

Doesn't look only ... it IS too small around the bust (squeezing the girls flat) and the underarm crinkles are a further hint that the bodice is about 2cm too small, while it fits perfectly in the waist/hip area. Which is another hint that she too one size smaller than she is.

The dress istself is nice. A messy ponytail would have been the perfect hairdo, enabling us also to see the earrings, plus a handbag in poppy red. Or even Big Blue blue ;-).
RoyalMusings

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

Looking more and more the dress, I don't think it has stains. The grey patterns remind me of the blew flower patterns of the dress that they are right below.

You're right. Those are grey flower silhouettes.
perdie

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: July 16, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »

Love this dress, albeit with better accessories and for an event that isn't mostly sitting.  I could do without the grey flowers but that's only a quibble.
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: July 17, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »

It would be a great dress, imo, if it was a size larger. It's too tight in the wrong places.
Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: July 17, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »

I like this dress although I do wish she would have bought a different size and had it tailored to fit.  I am sure that Catherine Walker has in house tailoring and the effect would look so much better.  Alternatively, I am sure Kate could easily access tailoring through the royal staff. (Not Natasha)

I also like Kate's hair shorter but a ponytail or loose bun would have looked good with this dress.  At least we don't have pictures of her smelling her hair, twirling it and touching it every few minutes.  So baby steps, right?

I do wish she had carried a handbag is one of the colours on the dress, I think it would have been a great pop of colour.

I hate feeling like I am being critical of Kate; I try to be realistic and factual. Yet, as much as I like this dress, for me it is only an okay look due to the fit and the accessories she chose. 
I can not fathom how she can spend so much on her clothing and it does not fit perfectly.
Kate pays someone to be her stylist and yet sometimes, I wonder if she looked in the mirror.  I know some of it is personal taste but this woman is representing not just a business but multiple nations.  In any business, wardrobe does matter.  For Kate, her wardrobe projects her public persona; whether her dress costs $50.00 or $5000.00, it needs to be (1.) appropriate and (2.) it needs to fit -  well.

For the amount of money that is spent on how she looks, Kate should never appear in ill fitting clothing.

PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:01 AM »

Copied from: News and photos of William and Kate V topic

I like the dress too and even the necklace but not on Kate. Maybe the designer was going for form or something but the side effect is of Cone Boob. ... Either the boob pleat needed to be softer...

I think the darts ruin the dress, the rest of it is interesting and has potential, but the bust line doesn't work.  Not sure it would work on anyone.

For the most part the dress fits well and looks good on her.
As both of you noted the problem with this dress is the darts.

The bust dart should not end exactly at the apex of the bust.
The body part accommodated by a bust dart is not cone shaped, it's rounded.
By ending the dart below the apex, the rounded shape needed is created.
The apex of the dart should end 1/2 inch (1.2cm) to 1 inch (2.5cm) below the apex of the bust.
The distance is determined by the weight of the fabric.
Lighter weight use 1/2 inch; heavier weight use 1 inch.

Undergarments will change the apex of the bust.
If you try on a dress or blouse with one bra style and wear a different style later, the apex of the bust will change and the fit of the garment will be different from the first time it was tried on.

The darts (moving up from the waist) on this dress are too long.
The dashed line shows where they should have ended.
There's no way to fix this dress unless an undergarment with more 'uplift' is worn.
You can always lengthen a dart on a finished garment but you can't shorten it.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:35:37 AM by PruNordstrom » Logged

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2017, 01:32:46 AM »

Bordering on TMI, these are the types of darts for the bodice of a dress or for a blouse.

Vava

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: July 18, 2017, 03:36:34 AM »

Pru!

Star Star Star
Thanks for explaining the dart  problem!  I've sewn garments for years, but tend to opt to a  princess seam as opposed to a bust dart per se.  Your illustrations are great, thanks for those.  All I knew is her dress was ill-fitting in the bust/dart area and it killed the look.
Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: July 18, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »

Pru!

Star Star Star
Thanks for explaining the dart  problem!  I've sewn garments for years, but tend to opt to a  princess seam as opposed to a bust dart per se.  Your illustrations are great, thanks for those.  All I knew is her dress was ill-fitting in the bust/dart area and it killed the look.

Thank you Pru!    Star   That dart illustration is excellent!   

Vava, I am with you,  Hug   although I did like Kate's dress from the waist down, those darts made it a no for me too.   

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: