Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate's - COCKTAIL (shorter) dresses  (Read 247814 times)
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: July 18, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »

Thanks ladies.

Vava, PBE
This video shows how darts are made on custom patterns.
You can alter standard patterns a similar way.
''Explanation of Darts and How to Sew Them''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlC0oUVD_To

Try a pattern with french darts.
It's a long dart that starts where a normal dart does and extends down at angle towards waist/hip.
These are some simpler dress patterns to learn darts (available in US).
New Look #6342 has bust darts, sleeves, sleeveless
New Look #6145 has bust darts, waist darts, sleeves, sleeveless
KwikSew #K3598 has bust darts only, sleeveless
KwikSew #K3704 has french darts and waist darts, short & long sleeve
Remember, undergarments matter when you're measuring.
 -----

It's the darts on the ready made dresses that often make K's dresses ill-fitting. Buying a petite size for the hip and length measurement when the body height is not petite sizing will cause the fitting darts to be in the wrong places at shoulder, bust, waist and hip. This has been evident in many recent dresses on K.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: July 18, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »

Pru!

Star Star Star
Thanks for explaining the dart  problem!  I've sewn garments for years, but tend to opt to a  princess seam as opposed to a bust dart per se.  Your illustrations are great, thanks for those.  All I knew is her dress was ill-fitting in the bust/dart area and it killed the look.

...I thought it was IAMDiana's sour face that killed the look  Snare

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Vava

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: July 18, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »

Thanks ladies.

Vava, PBE

It's a long dart that starts where a normal dart does and extends down at angle towards waist/hip.
 -----

It's the darts on the ready made dresses that often make K's dresses ill-fitting. Buying a petite size for the hip and length measurement when the body height is not petite sizing will cause the fitting darts to be in the wrong places at shoulder, bust, waist and hip. This has been evident in many recent dresses on K.

Star  Thanks Pru!  Interesting video!  Shows how darts can be a design detail.  The dart fitting on Kate's recent garments AND on her mother's too, have been terrible lately!
Princess BlueEyes

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »

Thanks ladies.

Vava, PBE

-----

Wow! What a great video!   Star  Thank you!
I have sewn since I was ten, have made some garment with darts but I have not seen some of those darts. Never learned how to move a dart either. I was taught the ladder method for dart prep by a woman who sewed not only all her own clothes but makes her husbands suits, too! I can't wait to talk to my aunt who often alters or combines patterns and sometimes even makes her own and get some one-on-one. (She even made patterns & clothing for my cousin's Barbies)

You know, the fit of Kate's clothing is my biggest irritation. For the amount she spends on clothing the fit often ruins the look. When you add in the cost of paying her stylist (I use the term loosely) it is crazy that Kate does not look like her clothing was custom fit.

Lady Adelaide

Humongous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: November 11, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »

Roland Mouret Ä2,876

Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »

It's a timeless LBD with added interest due to the asymmetric cleavage, but for 3.200 USD?
No way.

There are countless pieces, even with a 'name tag', for half that price or even less, which would have looked just as good.
A talented seamstress would have copied the look, custom made, using best fabric, for max. 700 EUR.

Internet is a bitch - once you have an ID, it's so easy to look up the price and tell the royals off for their spending on big names. If I were them, I wouldn't bring myself into this mess. I would just wear much more custom made things: perfectly fitted to my measures and taste, impossible to ID, and at the end of the day, less expensive than designer wear.
Marieke

Warned
Mini Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: November 11, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

I really donít like the zipper in the back...

Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: November 11, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »

OMG. This is really horrible, all the way down and in GOLD ...
I refrain from my earlier comment of this being a timeless piece - it would only be without this zipper thing.
Margaret

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: November 11, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »

I don't think that black dress is a timeless piece.  I think that asymmetric neckline is going to limit its usability and date it terribly.  Same with the little frills on the sleeves, and that hideous external zipper at the back.  

And will someone please burn all those blue suits of William's.
Vava

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: November 11, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »

Initially I thought the dress was OK, really not her style though.  But the exposed zipper on the back just kills it entirely.  I'd be surprised if we see this dress again anytime soon.  Bill needs a new wardrobe.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: November 12, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »

Well we haven't seen her back, so we don't know if she had the zipper custom made for her in a less "fist in your face" way. (or have we?)

I don't know why all of you go on about "timeless and versatile", when we attribute headlines and "stop the press" for events at which a dress is worn a whooping second time.
None of Kate's (and most other royal dames too) dresses need to be timeless, since none has the time to age until it is discarded.
Mind you I will certainly eat my keyboard should Kate secretly build up an Ann-capsule-wardrobe...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Duchess of Verona

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: November 12, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »

I really donít like the zipper in the back...

This reminds me of the dress a certain sssssssomeone wore to her engagement photo shoot.
dwi

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: November 12, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »

Initially I thought the dress was OK, really not her style though.  But the exposed zipper on the back just kills it entirely.  I'd be surprised if we see this dress again anytime soon.  Bill needs a new wardrobe.

i've always hated those dresses and tops that have that exposed zipper.  i find it very ugly and distracting.  don't know why/how it became so popular.
Flanagan

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »

Even the model can keep her ankles straight - both tip out with those ridiculous heels.  How nobody has broken an ankle yet is beyond me  Yikes
Oh_Caroline

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: November 13, 2018, 12:00:23 AM »

i've always hated those dresses and tops that have that exposed zipper.  i find it very ugly and distracting.  don't know why/how it became so popular.

Star  You and me both.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 59   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: