Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kate's - COATS/COATDRESSES  (Read 217051 times)
Duchess of Suffolk

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2019, 12:47:49 AM »

At least she is going for a uniform boring consistent style  Whistle

Lady G

Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »

At least she is going for a uniform boring consistent style  Whistle

Just like HM. Good for her  - I like nice clothes as much as the next person but I'm fed up with the media's obsession with what Kate wears. Keep it samey and hope they stop talking about it seems to be the hope. A forlorn one, I expect.

"Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare."
Sondra Finchley

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2019, 09:49:54 PM »

I just love the peacock blue color on the most recent dress...
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: May 23, 2019, 01:43:12 AM »

Kate wore another pleated elevator button coat with peplum to the Garden Party today.
Rather the write my own post, I'll just show comments from the WKW site because they wrote what I would have.

May 22, 2019 at 9:27 am
But, I continue to be shocked at the iffy quality of pricey bespoke clothing. Except for the top one, the buttons that are purely decorative droop more than the ones that are actually “buttoning” something so that compromises the design’s “crispness” to me. And it’s clear in the first picture looking at the bottom row at the waist that that buttons don’t line up. It looks like the bottom buttonhole on the right is sewn right into the seam while the button on the left looks to be sewn below the seam. (The unevenness might not be so noticeable if the decorative button on the left wasn’t also drooping.) And in that picture, as well as a few others, you can see the hemline sewing in spots. My old Home Ec teacher would be horrified!

May 22, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Totally agree with the whole button issue! I also feel like the line of decorative buttons sits too far on the side of the dress compared to the “real” buttons, destroying the symmetry of the design. You can see that when you compare their position relative to the collar.
I also agree that it is really weird to have buttons on top of a seam, imo they should have just left that last row of buttons away.

May 22, 2019 at 1:27 pm
I agree. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is distracted by the droopy buttons. Additionally, the photo of her right earring shows the earring is missing a diamond.

May 22, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Alexander McQueen is rolling over in his grave right now.

Roll Eyes The finishers at AMcQ really need a refresher course in button placement and attachment.

Vava (where ever you are) are you secretly posting on WKW? Wink

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Sophie Winklestan

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: May 23, 2019, 06:35:45 PM »

Kate wore another pleated elevator button coat with peplum to the Garden Party today.
Rather the write my own post, I'll just show comments from the WKW site because they wrote what I would have.

May 22, 2019 at 9:27 am
But, I continue to be shocked at the iffy quality of pricey bespoke clothing. Except for the top one, the buttons that are purely decorative droop more than the ones that are actually “buttoning” something so that compromises the design’s “crispness” to me. And it’s clear in the first picture looking at the bottom row at the waist that that buttons don’t line up. It looks like the bottom buttonhole on the right is sewn right into the seam while the button on the left looks to be sewn below the seam. (The unevenness might not be so noticeable if the decorative button on the left wasn’t also drooping.) And in that picture, as well as a few others, you can see the hemline sewing in spots. My old Home Ec teacher would be horrified!

May 22, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Totally agree with the whole button issue! I also feel like the line of decorative buttons sits too far on the side of the dress compared to the “real” buttons, destroying the symmetry of the design. You can see that when you compare their position relative to the collar.
I also agree that it is really weird to have buttons on top of a seam, imo they should have just left that last row of buttons away.

May 22, 2019 at 1:27 pm
I agree. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is distracted by the droopy buttons. Additionally, the photo of her right earring shows the earring is missing a diamond.

May 22, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Alexander McQueen is rolling over in his grave right now.

Roll Eyes The finishers at AMcQ really need a refresher course in button placement and attachment.

Vava (where ever you are) are you secretly posting on WKW? Wink

Pru ( Star), you are more of an expert on me on these things: do you think Catherine Walker has better tailoring (at least on what Kate wears)? To my amateur eye, CW looks far better fitted and finished:

Currently visualizing my highest self
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: May 24, 2019, 04:22:18 AM »

Pru ( Star), you are more of an expert on me on these things: do you think Catherine Walker has better tailoring (at least on what Kate wears)? To my amateur eye, CW looks far better fitted and finished:

Yes, Walker has better tailoring - and conservative designs.

Bespoke designs are only as good as the least-experienced employee. It seems that the quality control is higher for Walker designs. Duchess of Cornwall wears Walker. Her clothes will always be made by the most-experienced employees.

With AMcQ I wonder how much time is spent fitting. There is a dressform/dummy  for customers like Camilla and Kate. It is the first 'fit' but then the client has to come in and stand for minor adjustments. Once all that fitting is done it's the finish details that make the garment. AMcQ finish and quality control isn't what it should be. I don't think they're in the same league as Walker. It shows.

No matter whether you are constructing conservative, modern or edgy clothing, each fabric has qualities that need to be taken into account during assembly. Ignore it at your peril because garments will look bad if you use poor construction techniques. Buttons are the bugaboo with clothing. There are two ways to do them: correctly or poorly. Even those that don't sew can see when they're wrong. The client has to say 'this is wrong I'm not accepting it.' That's supposing that the customer even knows that a garment doesn't  look right. It takes practice.
 Thinking
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:33:58 AM by PruNordstrom » Logged

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

wannabe Lesbaru driver

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: May 24, 2019, 04:36:21 AM »

I recall reading years ago Kate refused to do fittings, only sent in measurements and so they had that to work with. Nothing seems fitted properly, ever.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: May 24, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »

That's the 'I don't want anyone to find out my measurements' mode. Her mistake and it's made her look like she's buying clothes off the rack that sort of fit instead of the bespoke it is. It's possible to design and adjust clothing to fit changing measurements as would happen when you are in the baby-making phase of life. Then those clothes are retired and you get a new wardrobe that fits post-baby phase. (Yes, you can adjust old favorites - to a point.)

On retail side, every woman has her favorite brand because it fits and the styles makes her figure look good. Then your figure changes and you find a different brand. And it's work and you don't want to but you have to. So it goes.

I don't see a more sophisticated eye from her. At this point she should have it. Her style still leans into the fast fashion of the day - which is OK for private life. For public life, her eye should have settled on a style that doesn't look like that of a mid-20s woman with details that move past  the elevator button, pleat heaven, peplum, tight trouser, tight sleeve design. She thinks she has a 'timeless look' but she doesn't. She has access to designers that could do this for her. She doesn't seem to trust them.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: May 24, 2019, 05:27:41 AM »

She’s made the mistake of thinking the tighter the better.
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:51 PM »

Problem with 'the tighter the better' is that it makes her look like Popeye's girlfriend Olive Oyl in many clothes. Never a flattering look.  Roll Eyes

Duchess of Suffolk

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: June 17, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »

NEW Catherine Walker Coatdress

Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »

Very Kate..meaning dull and boring

Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »

After some good outfits in a row, a total throwback: Peter Pan collar, peplum, boring color, boring cut, boring accessories.
Very Kate, very Catherine Walker - same same but different, quick to forget.

Nice to see an old, but real HAT again, though.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Gigantic Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »

After some good outfits in a row, a total throwback: Peter Pan collar, peplum, boring color, boring cut, boring accessories.
Very Kate, very Catherine Walker - same same but different, quick to forget.

Nice to see an old, but real HAT again, though.

I have always liked this black hat of hers. I’m glad to see it again too.

Lille

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »

Maybe the only one here, but I think she looks lovely. Don't mind the coat at all.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: