Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Fabiola - 5th Queen of the Belgians  (Read 86430 times)
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »

I think you are right.  His demeanor is probably part up bringing and part love for Fabiola.
It stood out from other royals both at the time and even today.
I enjoy your posts and pictures!
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »

This was taken 1 year after Baudouin had passed away. I don't know if it was at the Te Deum or what. At any rate, this shows how Albert, also, took the arm of Paola as well as Fabiola just as his father and brother had done.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2017, 04:02:12 AM »

Her Laura,
Do you think a modern day cerclage ( sewing the cervix shut basically) would have helped Fabiola?
Or was there more to it than that?
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »

Her Laura,
Do you think a modern day cerclage ( sewing the cervix shut basically) would have helped Fabiola?

Is that done to prevent pregnancy, or is that done to keep an implanted egg from aborting itself? 
Rebecca

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »

Her Laura,

Is that done to prevent pregnancy, or is that done to keep an implanted egg from aborting itself? 
Stitches are placed to prevent a weak cervix from opening too early causing preterm labor and miscarriage.
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »

Her Laura,

Stitches are placed to prevent a weak cervix from opening too early causing preterm labor and miscarriage.

That's kind of what I was thinking it might be for.  I wonder if that's the reason why she kept miscarrying.  Thinking
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »

Yes. And it's very rare in a woman who hasn't had some type of cervical surgery in the past. So very sad to happen to such a sweet couple
gem

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »

Yes. And it's very rare in a woman who hasn't had some type of cervical surgery in the past. So very sad to happen to such a sweet couple

My aunt had that done. She had a baby girl that was born 5 weeks early. The baby survived only a week. She had 2 more babies and she was stitched both times. It worked
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »

Well, as she was successfully pregnant five times, it was definitely a problem keeping the pregnancy viable. Certainly a cervical cerclage might have benefited Fabiola. However, at least one variety of cerclage was developed in the 1940's, so I don't know if that was Fabiola's problem in losing all those babies. I believe one pregnancy made it to 4 months, and I *think* I read that one was egtopic and that she was refusing to have an abortion but then she suffered another miscarriage. I believe that was on her fifth and final pregnancy.  

This picture was from her first pregnancy when it was reported she wasn't feeling well and there's footage of her greeting people while she's seated.

I know she went to Switzerland to be seen by a renowned OBGYN and I believe she even went to Sweden for some treatment. It is such a pity that two people as fine as Baudouin and Fabiola - who had so much love to give, would never realize their dreams for a family that included children of their own.  Baudouin wanted to adopt, but the government said their child would not be allowed to follow in his footsteps, which offended Baudouin greatly. Fabiola I know felt so terrible but didn't want to burden her feelings on Baudouin or the public. Baudouin is the one who, through prayer, believed in his heart that this tragedy was meant for them so that they would have the capacity to love all Belgian children as their own. In the mid-70's Baudouin invited something like two thousand children to the Palace at Laeken for a Children's Day, and this is when he publicly announced that his personal belief and faith told him that he was to be open to loving all Belgian children as his own.

and he and Fabiola paid special attention to children with handicaps or diabilities

For two people who were more centered around children and children's issues, it was such a shame they would denied their own.

But they were (as many of you already know) quite close to a couple of their nieces and nephews - particularly Margaretha.

Here Margaretha has dinner with Baudouin and Fabiola on the occasion of his 25th jubilee

They were also fairly close with Henri

and Astrid

Here they are with Mobutu's children

Baudouin was an avid Boy Scout and he and Fabiola were life-long advocates of scouting for the youth

But primarily Philippe

Baudouin pinning a military honor on Philippe

Baudouin had a deep respect for all life and also for the quality of life for all.  That is why he could not sign the legislation in 1990 to give royal ascent to the liberalization of abortion in Belgium. He made a special statement about the value of life and of his belief that the lives of babies should have special protection.

I read somewhere that he said something along the lines that how could he meet his maker knowing he hadn't done everything in his power to dignify the value of life.

But like I said, he wasn't just about making sure nobody had an abortion - he was also about empowering humans to live better lives. Here is a quote he said at his children's day event at Laeken Palace:

Fabiola's miscarriages and their lack of children are not what lead him to his decision. Many felt Fabiola herself influenced him - she did not. He was very set in his ways and his belief system. I think even if they had children (probably even more-so if they had) he would have taken the same position in the 1990 abortion debate.  Because Fabiola never spoke specifically about the details of her problems carrying a child, it's difficult to know if a cerclage would have benefited her. It seems like it would have, but given their resources and position, I can't imagine they didn't have access to the very best in care.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:46:20 PM by lellobeetle » Logged

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »

Thanks Laura and all. Research didn't really list a specific problem so I wasn't sure
gem

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2017, 09:32:51 PM »

I really admire King Badouin and Queen Fabiola. They were good genuine people
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »

When I see photos of Fabiola, the word that comes to mind is "vivacious."  She wasn't beautiful, but she sure had *some*thing.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2017, 04:48:41 AM »

Not all  repeat miscarriages are the result of an 'incompetent cervix" (isnt it a lovely term). In our case it was a hormonal issue. I am not sure they had the ability to test for hormone levels then. In either case, it's heartbreaking. And they seem to have been such a nice couple.
lellobeetle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2017, 04:09:31 AM »

When I see photos of Fabiola, the word that comes to mind is "vivacious."  She wasn't beautiful, but she sure had *some*thing.

Yeah, she really did have something.  I can select at least 50 pictures of her with such a sweet and engaged look on her face. So much more engaged than many royals of today.  Here's just some random shots I threw together.  Wouldn't you love to see Stephanie and Guillaume looking like this?

Athena

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2017, 02:45:05 AM »

Those photos show them to be a most loving couple.

I can remember her marriage having lavish coverage in the women's magazines of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: