Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 119622 times)
lynda

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:19:49 PM »

Just finished Ben Hills book on Princess Masako, Priosner of the Chrysanthemum Throne

Now for a complete switch, just started this morning Jayne Ann Krentz book    White Lies    about parasensitive people, so far looks interesting.  My taste in reading goes from one extreme to another
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:12:57 PM »

At the moment I'm reading "Northern Lights" by Philip Pullman. I've always meant to read the trilogy but never got round to it, however the film release next week has spurred me on to read them before I watch it on the big screen!

Beofre that I read "Interventions" by Noam Chomsky, it's a book containing 44 op-ed articles written post-September 11th.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
lupina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:13:14 PM »

THE BOOK THREAD  « 1 2 ... 6 7 » ........in the General Discussion area.....just incase you are interested!   Smiley

lupina

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss

The other RD - http://richarddawkins.net/
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:32:25 PM »

I've just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  About a father and son travelling across a post-apocalyptic America.   It was a little depressing, but interesting, and well worth reading.

lynda

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:09 PM »

THE BOOK THREAD  « 1 2 ... 6 7 » ........in the General Discussion area.....just incase you are interested!   Smiley

lupina

I checked under Search.....and Yhe Book Thread never came up....sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, but I checked twice and still it didn't come up.       If you wish to move this, please do so
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »

It is on the top of page three of General Discussion.  It's not been an active thread of late.  Here is a link:

http://royaldish.com/index.php/topic,153.0.html

Michelle

Gigantic Member

I smell bogan approaching

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:28:48 AM »

I've just finished "Water for Elephants".  I LOVED it!!!!  A definite must read.

Hilo

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 03:06:16 AM »

"The Bitch in the House -- 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood and Marriage"
(Cathi Hanauer, Editor)

Highly recommended!  Thumb up
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 03:48:57 AM »

May I recommend The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.  Suffice it to say that it's a novella about Queen Elizabeth becoming a reader.  Quite wonderful, especially since the corgis play a leading role ... pun intended.
 Thumb up
lupina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »

lupina

I checked under Search.....and Yhe Book Thread never came up....sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, but I checked twice and still it didn't come up.       If you wish to move this, please do so

.....it's a useful, and interesting reference for past entries......books don't date like Mosh...... Smiley

lupina

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss

The other RD - http://richarddawkins.net/
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

I've just finished "Ghost Plane" by Stephen Grey a factual account of the CIA's rendition programme. It was an excellent read and I thoroughly recommend it!

I'm starting "Dreams From My Father" by Barack Obama.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

I've just finished "Water for Elephants".  I LOVED it!!!!  A definite must read.

I loved it too, Michelle!   Smiley  Do you think it would make a good movie?

Has anyone else here read the 'No.1 Ladies Detective Agency' books by Alexander McCall Smith?  They're charming.

Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:54 AM »

Are any of you (esp. Danes) Peter Hoeg (sorry, no Danish orthography on my keyboard) fans?  Smilla's Sense of Snow?  The Quiet Girl?  Just curious.

And yes, 3 cheers for Alexander McCall Smith and his various series ranging from the Ladies' #1 Detective series to his 2 series set in Edinburgh, to his grammatical professor series.
Jazzy

Humongous Member

All that glitters...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:58 AM »

Are any of you (esp. Danes) Peter Hoeg (sorry, no Danish orthography on my keyboard) fans?  Smilla's Sense of Snow?  The Quiet Girl?  Just curious.

And yes, 3 cheers for Alexander McCall Smith and his various series ranging from the Ladies' #1 Detective series to his 2 series set in Edinburgh, to his grammatical professor series.

Ditto.A movie was made(dont know if its out yet) with Jill Scott as Precious Ramotswe.Would love to see that one,dont know if it will ever come to DK,but will definately get teh DVD as I love me some Jill scott!!!

Smilla´s sense, I tried  reading it but ...lost interest.Will try again.

Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 06:35:14 PM »

May I reccommend The Commoner, a new novel out by John Burnham Schwartz.  Loosely based on the lives of Emperor Naruhito and his Empress and their son, Akihito and his wife Masako, it is a well-researched picture of life under the weight of the Imperial Household Agency.  The writing style isn't anything to get hot and bothered about and the plot is a little banal, but the information about the Imperial family is extensive and well done.  It's worth repeating that it's FICTION ... but there are parts where one wonders ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: