Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 242717 times)
jolene

Large Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1155 on: October 19, 2020, 05:33:17 AM »

I've already read this series, but I recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I think Amazon Prime is filming a series based on this. I do side-eye some of the casting. Rosamund Pike as Moirane? A tall blonde got cast as a petite brunette.
Étoile

Baby Member

to thine own self be true

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: November 08, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson

It's a Re-read, but still, captivating.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1157 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson

It's a Re-read, but still, captivating.

I can imagine, it are good books
Étoile

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: January 03, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

I hope to read two books a month this year.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: January 04, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »

I had a very good Selle Francais show jumper whose name was L'Etoile. Welcome!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:21 AM »

Even with a reading block and correction (for children's books & simple romance novels, among others) I read about 200 books in 2020.

It's not about quantity, it's about quality. So enjoy the books and other reading material Wink Smiley
Étoile

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:58 AM »

Even with a reading block and correction (for children's books & simple romance novels, among others) I read about 200 books in 2020.

It's not about quantity, it's about quality. So enjoy the books and other reading material Wink Smiley

Impressive! Schoolwork hinders my progress but yes, I am enjoying the ride.

Thank you!

"L'Etoile"... I love that
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: January 05, 2021, 12:57:50 PM »

Impressive! Schoolwork hinders my progress but yes, I am enjoying the ride.

Thank you!

"L'Etoile"... I love that

Despite Corona measures I am most of the time still at the office. In my case an one way commute of about  1 hour and 15 minutes, by use of public transport. I really read a lot in the train (and these days also in the busses). Something I have almost always done since my student time. And some days, when I am up to it I read at home / holiday / at my parents place etc. But that is much less in comparison to reading in public transport. At home I am more absorbed by television / internet / cleaning / etc. Also reading in bed, before going to sleep, is almost non existent the past couple of years (something I did very often in my childhood).
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: February 03, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »

Actually reading The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak, i had the book for a few years now and always postopned the reading for later shame because the book is very good one

Gemsheal

Medium Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: February 03, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »

My sister gave me The Splendid and The Vile by Erik Larson, for Christmas, and it's pretty good.   I think I prefer In the Garden of Beasts by the same author, though.   

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Étoile

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: February 20, 2021, 09:16:09 PM »

On to the next!

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: February 22, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »

Since last Friday wondering what I am going to read next....even with a very small house filled (literatelly overflowing) with books & having ca. 40 materials from the local library at my place Blush

Today it was asked if reading was something I had to do (forcing myself) or that I could also put a book away. Well, besides the real captivating books, reading is not a compulsory thing for myself. At least in my opinion.

But on the other side reading is a kind of obsession of mine. In which I have a very broad taste. I am not reading everything, but the range of books I read is very wide. Sometimes it creates fun moments. F.e. people who see me reading those simple romances novels (Harlequin), which often results in them having a kind of opinion of me. While at other moments I am reading Game of Thrones or a review boek about cancer or genetics.

For my own peace of mind I have to get rid of various books. Because nowadays, behind filled cabinets, many piles of books dominating several places in my small 1 bedroom apartement again. I have to create a more clean, structured environment for myself again. I started with that last year (a renovation of my livingroom/kitchen), in which I also selected books and got rid of many. But of this year many, many books found my house again Wink Not expensive, but mostly from trift shops and those (free) street libraries......
Étoile

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: February 24, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »

Since last Friday wondering what I am going to read next....even with a very small house filled (literatelly overflowing) with books & having ca. 40 materials from the local library at my place Blush

Today it was asked if reading was something I had to do (forcing myself) or that I could also put a book away. Well, besides the real captivating books, reading is not a compulsory thing for myself. At least in my opinion.

But on the other side reading is a kind of obsession of mine. In which I have a very broad taste. I am not reading everything, but the range of books I read is very wide. Sometimes it creates fun moments. F.e. people who see me reading those simple romances novels (Harlequin), which often results in them having a kind of opinion of me. While at other moments I am reading Game of Thrones or a review boek about cancer or genetics.

For my own peace of mind I have to get rid of various books. Because nowadays, behind filled cabinets, many piles of books dominating several places in my small 1 bedroom apartement again. I have to create a more clean, structured environment for myself again. I started with that last year (a renovation of my livingroom/kitchen), in which I also selected books and got rid of many. But of this year many, many books found my house again Wink Not expensive, but mostly from trift shops and those (free) street libraries......

Getting rid of books is one of the hardest things to do when I'm spring cleaning. I really can't wait to have a big house and I will definitely have a library or book area so I can keep the majority of the books I like.

Nowadays, I have specific types of books that I read but growing up I would get my hands on anything and everything.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: June 20, 2021, 08:13:30 PM »

I am a fairly squeamish person, so I don't know why I downloaded a psychological thriller book called "My Lovely Wife" (I guess because it was $1.99 for Kindle!) and I read it all in one sitting yesterday and it is still sticking with me!  It's one of those that after you finish it, the more you think about it, the more you pick up on and the more shocking the twists are.

Not sure why I'm posting about it but I rarely have a fiction book stick with me like this so maybe I just wanted to get it out of my system!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1169 on: June 21, 2021, 01:18:34 PM »

I am a fairly squeamish person, so I don't know why I downloaded a psychological thriller book called "My Lovely Wife" (I guess because it was $1.99 for Kindle!) and I read it all in one sitting yesterday and it is still sticking with me!  It's one of those that after you finish it, the more you think about it, the more you pick up on and the more shocking the twists are.

Not sure why I'm posting about it but I rarely have a fiction book stick with me like this so maybe I just wanted to get it out of my system!

Isn't that about a murderous; manipulative wife?

I believe I have read it last year  or early this year. It was indeed an impressive read.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: