Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 120619 times)
dreamlife

Small Member

Canada Canada

1917 Karelian Birch Egg

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:43 AM »

I'm new to the board and just found this thread so let me get caught up!
The Commoner- John Burnham Schwartz. I read that that one too and found the ending really disappointing. Rather unbelievable and impossible to be perfectly honest. It was too bad because it was a fairly well written book.

Wives and Concubines- Su Tong. This is the book that the movie "Raise the Red Lantern" is based on. As other people here have stated that is a fantastic movie. Su Tong is a great contemporary Chinese writer. I've read his book "Rice" which was excellent but disturbingly violent as was his book "My Life as Emperor." He has a new book just out called "The Myth of Meng" (I think) but I haven't read that one yet.

De Niro's Game- Rawi Hage. He's a Canadian writer of Lebanese decent and this book takes place in Lebanon during the recent civil war. It's his first book and it just won the Dublin Literary Award (the richest literary prize- $160,000). The books are nominated for the prize by libraries around the world and it was the library where I live (Winnipeg, Canada) that nominated his book.

A Spot of Bother- Mark Haddon. Just hilarious, like his previous book "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night." If you like his work you'll probably also like another British author- Nick Hornby. I read his novel "A Long Way Down" which is about four people who meet while planning to commit suicide. Might not sound like a funny topic but there were times when I was reading this that I was laughing so hard I had to stop reading.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:21 AM »

I am reading this:

http://www.lostintibet.com/

very interesting read.

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 04:37:48 AM »

I am reading a bit of an older novel, The Lovely Bones and it is breaking my heart.
getafix
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »

I am reading a bit of an older novel, The Lovely Bones and it is breaking my heart.

Barrie... :love:the photo Grin

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Michelle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

I smell bogan approaching

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 04:46:08 AM »

I believe they are making a movie out of that book. 

Nice to meet you, Barrie!!!  It's so nice to now put faces to all the names!! Hug Hug

Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 05:04:23 AM »

Now it must end, because Mary is going to hunt us all down, also, I need to find a more flattering picture.
MissPeebles

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Soldier Boy - A Hard Day's Fight

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »

I read Lovely Bones a couple of years ago - tears poured down my face! A wonderful read.
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

Lovely to meet you MissPeebles   Smiley  You look very elegant, and very lovely.

I'm reading 'The Miracle at Speedy Motors' by Alexander McCall Smith.  It's the latest in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.

I have 'A New Earth - Awakening to your Life's Purpose' by Eckhart Tolle beside my bed.  Saw Oprah raving about it, and had to buy it.   

Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Daiz

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

diamondlil- please don't think I'm stalking you; but are you a member of librarything.com? If it is not you, there is another diamond lil in cyberspace!

It is so lovely to see everyone's  beautiful faces! Feel a bit shy at present but will see what I can do over the weekend.
dreamlife

Small Member

Canada Canada

1917 Karelian Birch Egg

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

A correction to my previous post. Su Tong's new book is called "Binu and the Great Wall"- The Myth of Meng.
"Lost in Tibet" sounds good. The blurb said it was like "Into thin Air" and I loved that book.
I'll have to check out "The Lovely Bones" too. It's always nice to find out what other people are reading because sometimes I get stuck with the same authors or recommendations from the same people all the time.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 07:24:31 PM »

I picked up The Lovely Bones at a charity shop a while ago but still haven't got around to reading it!

I'm reading "The House of Mirth" at the moment by Edith Wharton, I'm about half-way through and enjoying it lots. She really was a wonderful storyteller and did an amazing job at re-creating her world for the reader!

Next on my list is "Shataram" by Gregory Roberts, which is also being made into a film this year by Mira Nair        (Vanity Fair, Monsoon Wedding).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/S...vid-Roberts/dp/0349117543

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
MissPeebles

Micro Member

Soldier Boy - A Hard Day's Fight

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »

Little Star, I love Edith Wharton (I am currently working on a project based on one of her books)  If you enjoy House of Mirth -  but fancy a change from reading - I cannot recommend the Martin Scorcese version of  The Age of Innocence highly enough. It stars Daniel Day Lewis and is just marvellous. A worthy screen companion to any of her works, as it is such an exquisite evocation of that material world. The music and costumes are superb and the screenplay is exquisite.

Oh DO put your glamorous avatar back! You look so lovely, and it started quite a craze...
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »

diamondlil- please don't think I'm stalking you; but are you a member of librarything.com? If it is not you, there is another diamond lil in cyberspace!

It is so lovely to see everyone's  beautiful faces! Feel a bit shy at present but will see what I can do over the weekend.

Hi Jane!   Smiley

No, that's not me.  I'll have a look at librarything though.  It sounds interesting.  Thanks, Jane.   Smiley 

Little Star, you are gorgeous.  If Fred had met you first, 'Mary's destiny' wouldn't have stood a chance.  That's assuming you would have been interested in him   Wink

Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »

Little Star is waaaaaaay out of Fred's league.  She can do better than him.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »

Little Star, I love Edith Wharton (I am currently working on a project based on one of her books)  If you enjoy House of Mirth -  but fancy a change from reading - I cannot recommend the Martin Scorcese version of  The Age of Innocence highly enough. It stars Daniel Day Lewis and is just marvellous. A worthy screen companion to any of her works, as it is such an exquisite evocation of that material world. The music and costumes are superb and the screenplay is exquisite.
I loved the film! I'm not a Michelle Pfeiffer fan at all but thought she was wonderful in the film. I just finished "Mirth" and thought it was such a tragic book, it's one of the few books that made me cry.

Oh DO put your glamorous avatar back! You look so lovely, and it started quite a craze...
I might pop back later on in the summer! If I can find a photo I like!

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: