Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 242761 times)
boof

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:13 AM »

I love to read and will read almost anything--don't care much for Sci-fi/futuristic stories.  Prefer those in the form of a movie.

I'm currently re-reading Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, by Fannie Flagg, and have just started Scar Tissue, by Anthony Keidis (of the Red Hot Chili Peppers).   

I adore Jodi Picoults books (although just could not get into The 10th Circle).

But my favourite author is Elizabeth Berg, and I have re-read many of her books more times than I could count.  My favourite Berg book is Until The Real Thing Comes Along, and then Talk Before Sleep, which is how I discovered Berg.

If/when I finally have kids, I hope to pass my love of books and reading on to them by way of Mr. Willoughby's Christmas Tree and Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.  Yes, I still have my two favourite childhood books! 

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~Tommy Smothers

I agree.  If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to press the ignore button.
lynda

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »

Boof, I just finished reading two books by Colleen McCullough (author of the Thorn Birds) who lives on Norfolk Island (Australia)
1.  Morgan;'s Run
2.  the Touch
She is a very detailed-type of Author, so now I know more about Botany Bay (Port Jackson, & Felonia) than I ever wanted to know.  Hubby and I spent a month in Tasmania so at least I have a mental picture of some of the "sights".
So now I'm reading Judith McNaught's book Night Whispers, just started it -- looks like it will be a nice mystery.
I also enjoyed (but its rather pitiful/sad) about Princess Masako and the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Oh well, I'm always reading something....and always  bring a book when I'm in the car
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

I recently finished "Shataram" by Gregory Roberts and "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid. Both are excellent.

The former is an epic semi-autobiographical novel and it is easiyl one of the ebst books I have read for some years. The writer does a wonderful job of drawing you in, so much so that you feel as though you are on the streets of Mumbai, breathing in the same air he is.

The latter is a shorter novel, only 184 pages, about a Pakistani man living in the US during the September 11th and the effect it has on him. The sotry is told by the main character over the course of an evening in a Lahore cafe.

I've just started "In the City by the Sea" by Kamila Shamsie. This is her first novel, she sas since written 3 others.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/g...&n=266239&s=books

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

Ive just finished "The Collector" by John Fowles and found it incredibly creepy. The book is about a young man who kidnaps a young woman, Miranda, and then keeps her in his cellar
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C...John-Fowles/dp/0099470470
For anybody who likes thrillers this is a must read.

Other books Ive read recently include "Vile Bodies" by Evelyn Waugh and I re-read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. They are both good reads, although very different. This first is a humorous account of 1920's London and its Bright Young Things. The second is about a young man and his desire to remain eternally beautiful.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/V...qid=1220710305&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/P...qid=1220710415&sr=1-3

I've just started "The Crazed" by Ha Jin.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C...qid=1220710492&sr=1-2

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
shoshanah

Ginormous Member

New Zealand New Zealand

getting ready for a date with Shosh

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

I caved in and am reading Twilight.  I like vampire books but am finding a very basic read, characters stereotypical, etc.  It is entertaining enough and quick read so I might read the series.

Michelle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

I smell bogan approaching

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »

I caved in and am reading Twilight.  I like vampire books but am finding a very basic read, characters stereotypical, etc.  It is entertaining enough and quick read so I might read the series.

LOL!  What a coincidence, Shoshana!  I bought it yesterday at the local Barnes & Noble!  All I hear is nothing but good things about the whole Twilight series so I figured I would give it a shot.

shoshanah

Ginormous Member

New Zealand New Zealand

getting ready for a date with Shosh

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

And I must admit, I quite fancied Cedric Diggory in the HP movie, so I look forward to seeing the Twilight movie :D

Charlotte

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:27:07 AM »

I'm getting this book by Nina Garcia, a judge on Project Runway (American version) and editor of Marie Claire (formerly of Elle). It's called The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
http://www.amazon.com/exe...rocom/104-1824163-8684727

This book looks great because it breaks down the fashion pieces that every woman needs in her wardrome, which for me is wonderful because I'm fashion illiterate and really want to establish a better wardrobe.  Here are the chapters (I borrowed this from one of the comments):

: A-line Dress, Animal Print, Ankle Bootie, Aviators

B: Ballet Flat, Bangles, Belts, Bikini, BlackBerry, Black Opaque Tights, Blazer, Boyfriend Cardigan, Brooch

C: Cable-Knit Sweater, Caftan, Camel Coat, Cape, Cashmere Sweater, Charm Bracelet, Clutch, Cocktail Ring, Converse, Cosmetics Bag, Cowboy Boots, Cuff

D, E, F: Denim Jacket, Diamond Studs, Driving Shoe, Espadrilles, Evening Gown, Exotic Skin Bag, Fishnets, Frye Harness Boot, Fur

G, H, I: Gentlemen's Hat, Gloves, Havaianas, Hobo Bag, Hoop Earrings, Investment Bag, iPod

J, K, L: Jeans, Jewelry Pouches, Khakis, Knee Boots, Leather Pants, Lingerie, Little Black Dress, Little White Dress, L.L. Bean Tote, Luggage

M, N, O: Mad Money, Man's White Shirt, Mary Janes, Minnetonka Moccasin, Missoni Knit, Monogrammed Stationery, Motorcycle Jacket, Nail Polish, Old Concert T-Shirt, One-Piece Swimsuit

P, Q, R: Pajamas, Peacoat, Pearl Necklace, Pencil Skirt, Perfume, Plain White Tee, Polo Shirt, Pucci, Push-Up Bra, Quality Champagne, Red Lipstick, Robe

S: Safari Jacket, Sandals, Sarong, Signet Ring, Silk Scarf, Slippers, Spanx, Statement Necklace, Stilettos, Striped Sailor Shirt, Suit, Sunhat

T, U, V: Trench, Turquoise and Coral Jewelry, Tuxedo Jacket, Umbrella, Underwear, Valid Passport, Vans, Vintage

W, Y, Z: Watch, Wayfarers, Wellington Boot, Wide-Leg Trousers, Wrap Dress, Yoga Gear, Zippered Hoodie

Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

Anyone seeking an antidote to Mary could read writer Janet Frame's autobiography - starting with "To the Is-land". They were poor, but a truly classy, "intellectually intense" family in rural New Zealand. You could not get a greater contrast to pretentious, vapid Princess Mary. The film "An angel at my table" is the Janet Frame story.
Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »

Boof I love Elizabeth Berg too. I am reading a very light and fun book at the moment 'annabel's' by Annabel Goldsmith. Completely fascinating gossip about the British aristocracy. It has really made me understand more about the mores of this group and see how for example Kate M would find it difficult to fit into these circles.

One of my long time favourite authors is Barbara Kingsolver; I have devoured everything she has written. She writes so beautifully and is so witty and so in love with nature and science and humanity.

A great website is lbrarything.com
Basically you enter all your favourite books and find who matches you around the world and much else besides.
Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 05:48:29 AM »

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is an excellent read   Smiley

boof

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

Boof I love Elizabeth Berg too. I am reading a very light and fun book at the moment 'annabel's' by Annabel Goldsmith. Completely fascinating gossip about the British aristocracy. It has really made me understand more about the mores of this group and see how for example Kate M would find it difficult to fit into these circles.

One of my long time favourite authors is Barbara Kingsolver; I have devoured everything she has written. She writes so beautifully and is so witty and so in love with nature and science and humanity.

A great website is lbrarything.com
Basically you enter all your favourite books and find who matches you around the world and much else besides.

Jane, I have also just discovered Barbara Kingslover.  My friend sent me The Bean Trees for my birthday (we're both Kentucky girls, just like the main character!).  I loved it.  have just started The Poisonwood Bible, and can already tell it will be a favourite; I just love a book told in first person, and especially from multiple characters. 

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is an excellent read   Smiley

Lil, I think is one I will probably read several times over!   Wink

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~Tommy Smothers

I agree.  If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to press the ignore button.
boof

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »

I have just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, and I have to say that I will never look at my pets the same way again!   

dreamlife

Small Member

Canada Canada

1917 Karelian Birch Egg

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »

I have just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, and I have to say that I will never look at my pets the same way again!   
Oooh, that's a bit of a teaser, I might just have to find out what you're talking about. I've just finished reading a couple of books by Kurban Said, an author whose identity no one is really too sure about. Regardless of who he/she was, the two books "The Girl From The Golden Horn" and "Ali and Nino" are excellent. They both deal with the differences between the West and East.

I also just finished reading the Harry Potter books. I had read the first one when it came out because everybody was talking about it but I didn't care for it. However, when I was in the library looking for a book to read I happened to notice those books and decided to try it again. And they were okay. I don't think I'll ever understand why they became such a phenomenon but my opinion seems to be a minority one.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »

I am currently 100 pages into "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" by Naomi Klein. It details the way capitalist governments (American) have promoted the system through a means of "shock".

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: