Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 127237 times)
Rita

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:59 AM »

highly recommend "Granada" by  Radwa Ashour about the end of the islamic and arab rule in Spain a great read

Rita

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: January 06, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »

i re-read the Godfather of Mario Puzo and that give me need to re- watch the godfather of Coppola

onar

Large Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: January 06, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »

I read Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz, last week. Good but he could do better.
Now I'm supposedly reading "Un avion sans elle" by Michel Bussi, I don't know the english translation of the title, hence the original one. I have the greek version (The girl of flight 5403). It's very nice, so far with much suspense and it doesn't seem to have holes in the plot. I wish I had the time to actually enjoy it.

temi

Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »

Silence, Shusaku Endō.

One of the best books I ever read!

I knew someone recommended this!! I bought it after Christmas - there is a big marketing push/tie in with the movie Martin Scorecese directed. I am half-way through, its absolutely haunting!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: January 10, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

Silence is immensely powerful. Fascinating book. And IMO a very new way of dealing with ones religion.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »

Is that the book on which the new movie is based?  Another?  Sounds fascinating, but I want to understand your post more.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »

Yes this should be the impulse of the movie. They go as far as saying the movie is an adaptation. Well let's see. It hasn't hit the theatres yet.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: January 10, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »

Thanks, Fairy!
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:18 PM »

i don't like to go see movies i previously read the book they are based upon.
sometimes the film can totally crash my hopes,my ideas on how the characters should be, and i don't like having my hopes crushed,but i even don't like to go to see a movie and become one of those boring people who start raising their hand and saying: excuse me,but in this point the book was different, excuse me but the character didn't ,,,,

so i try and stay away from movies adaptation because usually the book is better,because imho my imagination is better . i found that the movies were equal to my hopes for the lord of the rings 1 & 2, the 3rd being too boring, and harry potter 1-4,the others..meeehh.

i find the movie is better than the book for pride and prejudice with greer garson, an old movie i watched when i was a kid and i was appalled that the main character was old,not a girl!, and even if i'm now grown up i still find greer garson and laurence olivier very old in that movie (not to mention mrs bennet,approximately 75yrs old) ,but so witty,way funnier than the book.

ciao belle,over here it is about to snow...let it snow let it snow let it snow!
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »

I can totally understand that, ortensia.

When reading a book, based on how the author describes his characters, you have a certain picture in your head: How the character looks, speaks, I do even imagine how the voice may sound. And then you see the movie, and your head picture may clash terribly with what you see on screen.

There are only a few movies which really met my expectations, amongst them Eco's "Il Nome Della Rosa" with Connery.
For Stieg Larsson, for example, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I preferred the Swedish movie with Naomi Rapace much over the later US adaption with Craig & Mara, as the former met my expectations more.
As a real Irvine Welsh lover, I was pleased with the Trainspotting movie, although that movie is all but faithful to the book.
Fight Club (with Pitt) is also a great movie following a great book by Palahniuk.
The Green Mile (Stephen King) with Michael Clarke Duncan in the role of his life (and consequently nominated for the supporting actor Oscar).
Not to forget Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea (with Spencer Tracy, for sure. Oscar nominated for a reason as well. The Anthony Quinn thing was blech).

And then there is my all-time favourite: Gone With The Wind. THAT movie met all my expectations (I might have read the book 8 times and seen the movie 12 times, and I will always start to cry about halftime), I would even say, it excelled my expectations.

I will not bother you will all the movies I disliked because they failed to meet my expectations ...
___

But I shall leave a new recommendation for a book: Conclave by Robert Harris.
Thrilling.
A real pageturner (which you would not expect as the setting is the Vatican only). And although he says in the foreword that it's pure fiction, there are so many parallels to Franciscus that I've often wondered whether something similar might happen in near future.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: January 10, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »

Another book that was fantastically done was "To kill a mockingbird".
I also loved the BBC series of "Pride and Prejudice" with the wonderful Colin Firth.
But yeah, many more examples of adaptations ruining a book.

Mary's life motto:
Rita

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »

i don't like to go see movies i previously read the book they are based upon.
sometimes the film can totally crash my hopes,my ideas on how the characters should be, and i don't like having my hopes crushed,but i even don't like to go to see a movie and become one of those boring people who start raising their hand and saying: excuse me,but in this point the book was different, excuse me but the character didn't ,,,,

so i try and stay away from movies adaptation because usually the book is better,because imho my imagination is better . i found that the movies were equal to my hopes for the lord of the rings 1 & 2, the 3rd being too boring, and harry potter 1-4,the others..meeehh.

i find the movie is better than the book for pride and prejudice with greer garson, an old movie i watched when i was a kid and i was appalled that the main character was old,not a girl!, and even if i'm now grown up i still find greer garson and laurence olivier very old in that movie (not to mention mrs bennet,approximately 75yrs old) ,but so witty,way funnier than the book.

ciao belle,over here it is about to snow...let it snow let it snow let it snow!
i very much share you're opinion,i too always find the books much more intersting than the screen adaptations,that happen for the Godfather,for outlander books serie and definitely for One Thousand and One Nights that last one especially noooooo movie or show in the whole world even come close how spectacular the book is. But unlike you i still go and watch those movies whenever a new one come out or even re watch the old just to put faces for the characters:hugesmile:

Tulip of Nonsense

Large Member

Monaco Monaco

Je chante donc je suis...

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

To those of you who seek to comprehend the inexplicable insanity of our modern age, I would strongly recommend two excellent books: The Decline of the West by German historian and philosopher  Oswald Spengler, and Ride the Tiger by Italian philosopher etc. etc. Julius Evola. Not an easy read, but in my experience a very, very educative one.

"I was given a degree by a college of unbeautiful nonsense... And I have kissed a prince in a land where men grind their wheat in the sky..."
Melville Davisson Post
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: April 03, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »

A (young-adult) book I enjoyed reading recently: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

http://www.goodreads.com/...-love-letters-to-the-dead
ortensia

Huge Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »

i'm an avid reader so thanxx for the info Star

i'm actually reading schlieman's diary about his discovery of the lost city of Troy.

explained with his own words there's the story about how he managed to find Troy and it's  so beautiful and you know why? because he was absolutely 100% faithful that Omer's Odissea and Iliade were like newspaper's reportage of geographical/historical facts so he never doubted that maybe the poet invented something,enriched something,used an invented scenario to place Circe or Nausicaa.

a visionary,self made archeologist who gave us one of the biggest archeological discovery ever and also a very easy and likeable read,punctuated with hints of his first love (at the age of 8!) and various problems with fleas during his own greek/turkish Odissey!

Champagne
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: