Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 120616 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »

Since end of last year my commuter time has increased significantly. As I can't do much work in this time (security of data a.s.) and I don't like to have private phone calls then (privacy) it is excellent time to read, so my bag is filled with at least 1 book (most of the time more).

Currently, well the last couple of weeks, I am sucked into the thriller world of Karin Slaughter.
After the Sara Linton series en part of the Will Trent series, now switched to the combined Sara & Will series. Unfortunately my local library hasn't all the books Sad

Also awaiting for me is another book in the Flavia de Luce series:
https://www.goodreads.com...ries/46160-flavia-de-luce
Countess of Cows

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »

http://www.mulhollandbook...tive-betty-kathleen-kent/

The Dime by Kathleen Kent.  Detective story set in my neck of the woods.  I couldn't put it down and I'm usually a non-fiction reader.  Thumb up

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Kaiserin

Big Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

Since end of last year my commuter time has increased significantly. As I can't do much work in this time (security of data a.s.) and I don't like to have private phone calls then (privacy) it is excellent time to read, so my bag is filled with at least 1 book (most of the time more).

Currently, well the last couple of weeks, I am sucked into the thriller world of Karin Slaughter.
After the Sara Linton series en part of the Will Trent series, now switched to the combined Sara & Will series. Unfortunately my local library hasn't all the books Sad

Also awaiting for me is another book in the Flavia de Luce series:
https://www.goodreads.com...ries/46160-flavia-de-luce

During my recent vacation, I finished 6 books, amongst them one of  Slaughters "stand alones": Cop Town. Awesome read, it is settled in Atlanta, too, but in 1974 Atlanta, which is rather interesting. I mean, without all that computer, cell phone & modern analysis methods stuff. Just pure police work, and spiced with all that the "woman should stay home and get children" and "blacks will be blacks here in the south, always" attitudes which were normal back then. So I found it very authentic. And thrilling, as usual.

I also had the 2016 Pulitzer Price winner for fiction, "The Sympathizer" by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It was his debut novel, and I thought, hey  if they give hi my the Pulitzer for his debut, it must be good. And it was. Gives you a whole other view of Vietnam War.

Currently I am halfway through "City on Fire" by Garth Risk Hallberg, which is also (so far) very interesting read, like 9 stories culminating in one murder, switching between past and present (while present is New York 1977).
Olya

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »

I don't know if any of you watched "Big Little Lies", but I had read the book and it was fantastic. The kind of book that stays with you for a while and makes you think (that's at least how it was for me). I got super excited when I saw that they were making a mini series out of it and the author was involved, but I didn't like the series anywhere near as much as the book. It was still good though and I recommend both book & series, just read the book first preferably. I find that usually books are better than their screen versions. Harry Potter comes to mind too. Not to knock the series & films.
I can also recommend Liane Moriarty's other books now that I'm at it.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »

Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

I started The Blue Castle on Tuesday, and finished the same day after dinner. It's lovely  Hug
It's one of the few adult books by L. M. Montgomery, of Anne of Green Gables fame. I had never read anything by her, and I'm probably too old to enjoy her children's books, but after this book I can understand how she's still so well regarded.

Last week I read Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood. It's a memoir written by one of the daughters of a married Catholic priest. The author is a poet and it shows in the "lyrical" way the book is written. It is very, very funny, when I reached the story of the time their father took her and her siblings hunting I had to stop reading because I couldn't stop laughing out load in the underground.  

And now, for those who read in Spanish, I'm re-reading for the nth time one of my favourite books from my teenage years, "El último Catón" by Matilde Asensi. I read it before the Da Vinci code came out (and all the books it inspired) and it ruined all the mediocre novels in that genre for me Wink. Last Christmas I discovered the Catón sequel in a library and I bought it for my bf. Six months later I'm finally reading the prequel to prepare for the second book  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: