Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 150726 times)
jolene

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: March 24, 2018, 03:39:20 AM »

Rereading "The Buccaneers." I'm fascinated by the gilded age dollar princesses.
Curtains

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: March 24, 2018, 04:34:19 AM »

I finished reading "Death in the Air" which was absolutely extraordinary and haunting.  It juxtaposes the 1952 smog that killed 12,000 +/- Londoners essentially via suffocation due to coal smoke, with the simultaneous Rillington Place murders in what is now the posh Notting Hill neighborhood.  For Americans who came back from WWII in 1946 and stepped straight into wild economic enthusiasm, it's hard to be informed that Britain still was under rationing and very hard times well into the 1950s.  This book really - REALLY - gives a remarkable view.

I've lent it to two consecutive British friends (co-workers in my French bank in our US operations, go figure) and they themselves are amazed to learn how the poisons were allowed to kill so many year after year - and how the British govt had a terrible choice of letting people suffocate by burning sulfuric coal or freezing to death.

Let's remember that is was just under a year later than Liz took the throne.  Which means that she grew up choking down this stuff..and that so did her father who died of a lung ailment.

It was a thriller and it read like a murder mystery.  With 12,000 dead.

https://www.amazon.com/De...-Strangling/dp/0316506869

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
emtishell

Medium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: March 24, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »

Currently reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood..... I only read The Handmaidís Tale a few years ago, after my friend raved about it, and my girls read it at school.... I do love the way she writes (I had not realised how prolific she is!).

Watching the recent TV series of Handmaid re-ignited my interest, and then I heard about the Alias Grace series.... but I do prefer to read the book first.
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Yemen Yemen

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: March 24, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »

I never saw the show but I have read the book (and liked it a lot).

How is the show in comparison?

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: March 25, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »

Just finished the interesting:

A very good read!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: March 28, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

That book was fantastic, wasn't it ? And had so much food for thought....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: March 28, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »

That book was fantastic, wasn't it ? And had so much food for thought....

indeed, and when talking about it I discovered people from who I least expected it had read it or were planning to read it.
Kaiserin

Huge Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: April 10, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »

New booties ..

Amongst the praises, they say "Gone Girl on Speed", and that pretty much sums it up. Planned murder, unexpected twists, different narrating perspectives, a real pageturner ... 8 of 10 points.

Now just started to read

The intro is very promising ... and I loooooved everything I read from Lehane so far, so I am convinced that this one will also be amazing.

/off to continue!
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: April 10, 2018, 11:09:58 PM »

currently not reading as much (even way way way less) as I used to be.
one way or another busy in several books, among others:

Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: April 11, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »

Actually reading Prophet Mohamed biography by iben Hicham, i did read alot Bios of Prophet Mohammed but never this one i have to read it because i need to read similar writing of another interesting man : AlTabari

Kaiserin

Huge Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: April 11, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »

@Principessa: I had "Still Me" also couple of weeks ago, and again (like with the two prequels) I couldn't help but cry through half it (I mean that in a positive way ... if a book or a movie makes me cry, then It's a good book or movie. Crying it that case = enjoying, if that makes sense).

All three Lou Clark books are so bittersweet, and you feel so ... connected to the characters ... that you just can't lay them down. Besides, they are funny, too - just the right thing to read if you want to forget about the shitty world outside, and all the bad news, and the everyday baggage you schlep around. Real romcom book.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »

@Principessa: I had "Still Me" also couple of weeks ago, and again (like with the two prequels) I couldn't help but cry through half it (I mean that in a positive way ... if a book or a movie makes me cry, then It's a good book or movie. Crying it that case = enjoying, if that makes sense).

All three Lou Clark books are so bittersweet, and you feel so ... connected to the characters ... that you just can't lay them down. Besides, they are funny, too - just the right thing to read if you want to forget about the shitty world outside, and all the bad news, and the everyday baggage you schlep around. Real romcom book.

They also made a big impression on me, especially the first book. About 2 years I saw the movie adaption of this one, wondering if it would impress me as much as the book. And it did, completely different from other movie adaptions I have seen.
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: April 20, 2018, 12:13:32 AM »

with my daugther one of my childhood book: the little princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

Still enjoying the books of Rick Riordan about semi-gods and gods (mythology in present days). It is said they are childeren and/or teenager books, but that doesn't stop me  Laugh bounce Wink

Now just managed to get a hold on the Dutch version of:

Diamond Lil

Gigantic Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: April 20, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »

with my daugther one of my childhood book: the little princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I'm reading it at the moment, and loving it.  Never read it as a child.   Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: