Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 157346 times)
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »

Sultanes oubliées,Femmes chefs d’Etat en Islam ( Forgotten Queens of Islam) by Fatema Mernissi i highly recommend it as i recommond all Mde Mernissi books sush: Women’s Rebellion and Islamic Memory,Beyond the Veil: Male-Female Dynamics in a Muslim Society,Shahrazad is not Moroccan,The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of Islam......she is one of my favourite writers and she is also winner of Austrias throphy

XoXo

Warned
Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: December 04, 2018, 05:44:21 PM »

Educated by Tara Westover. This has been the best book to come out in 2018 and has now become one of my all time favorites!!
ortensia

Warned
Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »

I’m reading harry turtledove ‘s world war: in the balance.

In the middle of WWII an alien invasion changes history as we know it!🤓🤓🤓🤓
👽👽👽👽👽
onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:12 AM »

It's 5 in the morning and I just finished Paul Halter's The fourth room/La quatrième porte in its greek translation.
I started at 11.30 pm and I couldn't stop nor I wanted to. It's brilliant and it left me absolutely shocked and terrified, it's as intense as it was the time I was reading it. Every single line is extremely well thought, well designed, well writtern. I'm terrified and I don't want to read anything else from the writer and, at the same time, I'm so excited to read more from Halter. I didn't know the book was so old, the publication I read it's recent, it was published on 2017. I don't know if it has been translated before in greek. I write nonsense about the publication because I'm still so extremely shocked. I want to read more Halter. Ok, I stop here.

I'm so shocked.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »

It's 5 in the morning and I just finished Paul Halter's The fourth room/La quatrième porte in its greek translation.
I started at 11.30 pm and I couldn't stop nor I wanted to. It's brilliant and it left me absolutely shocked and terrified, it's as intense as it was the time I was reading it. Every single line is extremely well thought, well designed, well writtern. I'm terrified and I don't want to read anything else from the writer and, at the same time, I'm so excited to read more from Halter. I didn't know the book was so old, the publication I read it's recent, it was published on 2017. I don't know if it has been translated before in greek. I write nonsense about the publication because I'm still so extremely shocked. I want to read more Halter. Ok, I stop here.

I'm so shocked.

Have a good night rest Onar Wink
When being grasped by a book  you can loose all notice of time and place. Well that is my experience Wink Smiley

Thank you for the tip! I will have a look at this author.

The last couple of weeks my reading modus is extreme, finished various books and caught by the reading virus (almost an obsession). Also a lot of variation in the genres and books I am reading.
onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: December 07, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »

I'm so shocked.

Have a good night rest Onar Wink
When being grasped by a book  you can loose all notice of time and place. Well that is my experience Wink Smiley

Thank you for the tip! I will have a look at this author.

The last couple of weeks my reading modus is extreme, finished various books and caught by the reading virus (almost an obsession). Also a lot of variation in the genres and books I am reading.

I hadn't read any other book apart from the ones I needed for my thesis since summer. Now it's all over and I have the time to relax and enjoy books I like. As for the genre, the last 5-6 years I only read crime novels and thrillers.
You should check it if you're interested in crime novels in general and locked room mysteries in particular! 

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: December 07, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »

I am currently anticipating the new Lee Child thriller in his Jack Reacher series!
A friend, who (just as her dad) is into thrillers, got me hooked to Jack Reacher.

Just as into the Women's murder club series, by James Patterson. But my eager with this series is way less then Jack Reacher.
onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »

I have tried to read Lee Child but we didn't have a good start, I droped the book in the first pages. Maybe I wasn't in the mood back then. I'll give him a second chance but not in the near future.
As for Women's murder club, I had watched the tv series, I do have the books in greek and at some point, I'll start. I have read other Patteron's books and I had a really good time!

I also like Graham Masterton and Richard Montanari, Masterton explores Ireland's society and landscape and I like that a lot.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

I have tried to read Lee Child but we didn't have a good start, I droped the book in the first pages. Maybe I wasn't in the mood back then. I'll give him a second chance but not in the near future.
As for Women's murder club, I had watched the tv series, I do have the books in greek and at some point, I'll start. I have read other Patteron's books and I had a really good time!

I also like Graham Masterton and Richard Montanari, Masterton explores Ireland's society and landscape and I like that a lot.

As a young student, after seeing the first Jason Bourne movie (with Matt Damon), I read Ludlum's Jason Bourne trilogy. Before I wasn't aware of Ludlum, perhaps because at that time my family and other surroundings didn't read thrillers. I was hooked, I truly enjoyed the books. When going to the second JB movie, I was irritating the friend who accompanied me. Because I often commented that a lot of the movie was different than the book.

Never knew there was a tv series of the Womens Murder club!
Patterson is in combo with other authors just like factory/machine, how many books he publishes a year!. The last one I have read was the one he wrote together with former US president Bill Clinton. Interesting, but I wasn't overly impressed. And that is an experience I have with a lot of Patterson books. I was also told about the well known Alex Cross series, but one way or another I am not attracted to them, to read them.

Several years ago, after celebrating NYE somewhere else in NL, I stumbled upon James Rollins when travelling home (I had to wait for my next train at Schiphol Airport, and the shops were open). And I have to say, I really like this author. Oke, also his books variate in attraction and such, but overall I am thrilled when there is a new book. In my with books overfilled home, there are several Rollins books, in both English and Dutch.

Another writer I like is Karin Slaughter.

onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: December 07, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »

Women's murder club lasted only 1 season, it's not that great but it was nice for wasting time and having fun. Angie Harmon is starring, as she does in Rizzoli and Isles, the two shows are similar in the structure of each episode, as long as I remember.

I have heard about Slaughter but I haven't read anything hers. Dean Koontz is also a writer I usually enjoy to read, his books are like Cosmopolitan for thrillers.

edit to add: I haven't heard Rollins. I googled him and the Sigma Force series books are kind of familiar, I don't know why though. 

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »

Women's murder club lasted only 1 season, it's not that great but it was nice for wasting time and having fun. Angie Harmon is starring, as she does in Rizzoli and Isles, the two shows are similar in the structure of each episode, as long as I remember.

I have heard about Slaughter but I haven't read anything hers. Dean Koontz is also a writer I usually enjoy to read, his books are like Cosmopolitan for thrillers.

My former downstairs neighbor was a Koontz fan, still have to try his books.
onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »

He's not extraordinary but he is interesting.

jolene

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: December 07, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »

My former downstairs neighbor was a Koontz fan, still have to try his books.
I love his Odd Thomas series.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: December 07, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »

Love both Karen Slaughter and Lee Child and have read just all of what they published.

Yesterday my monthly Amazon package arrived, so next I will read is
jnozak

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: December 09, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »

I'm re-reading "The Mercy of Thin Air", by Ronlyn Domingue. It's one of my favorite books. It's a beautiful, heartbreaking love story. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: