Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 161475 times)
onar

Huge Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: December 11, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »

Oh oh oh... dear Principessa... thank you for mentioning Patterson's Women's murder club. Since the day after our conversation here, I have read the first 3 books of the series and I'm currently reading the 4th one!!!!!! Of course, I like it!!!! Jumping
And I enjoy the fact that it's a good detective series and not a thriller.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: December 11, 2018, 10:29:44 PM »

Oh oh oh... dear Principessa... thank you for mentioning Patterson's Women's murder club. Since the day after our conversation here, I have read the first 3 books of the series and I'm currently reading the 4th one!!!!!! Of course, I like it!!!! Jumping

You are welcome  Grin
anneboleyn

Baby Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: December 12, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »

Currently reading The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. I finished her Nefertitti book on the weekend. I'm really into ancient Egypt right now so if anyone has any book recs for that era, I'd love it!
anastasia beaverhausen

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: December 20, 2018, 02:00:01 AM »

You are welcome  Grin

Just bought the first one. Canít wait to read it - thanks for suggesting it, Principessa!  Itís been on my radar for years.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: December 20, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »

Googled the Womens murder club and was surprised to see 17 books.. (how could they pass me?) and even more shocked to see I have book 1 on my shelves.. Never read it... well, here is to hoping the next holidays will give me a minute or two of reading time....Thanks for the push! Smiley

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
fruela

Micro Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »

Well for semi-science and good fun read look no further than
Yuval Noah Harrari --> Sapiens, A brief history of Humankind
and it's follow up: -->Homo Deus
extremely good read and food for thought.

Also enormously funny and interesting to read IMO is
Bill Bryson: --> Short story of nearly everything
or --> At home
Yes, Bill Bryson, I loved both of them.
Sorry if someone has already mentioned  Will Cuppy's  The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody. Hilarious.
I wonder whether Sue Grafton (RIP) managed to finish her alphabet series, which I have enjoyed since they were first published in Spanish,long ago.
Now, I am reading  Pedro Mairal's "La uruguaya",   one of three finalists for a prize  awarded by teenagers. I like it,even though I don't understand some words or expressions because the writer is from Argentina. My kindle dictionary comes in useful then.
fruela

Micro Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: January 09, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »

A great find ,this thread. I'm going to need time to browse though it.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »

Re-reading two old favorites: Ken Kesey's ``Sometimes a Great Notion,'' about a family of independent loggers along the Oregon coast, and Tolstoy's novella ``The Death of Ivan Ilych.'' It's a wonderful contrast to be reading both at once. One is about a stubborn blue collar family whose motto is ``never give a inch.'' (Note, it's not give AN inch because that's how stubborn this family, particularly its irascible patriarch, is and behaves). The other is about spiritual quest embarked upon by a minor Russian court official in the 1870s as he contemplates his coming death.
Carreen

Baby Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »

I finiished today Gareth Russell's "The Emperors: How Europe's Rulers were Destroyed by the First World War". I read so many books about this war and the fall of the Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Romanov autocrats - but this brought really home that revolutions bring chaos. The book closes very emotionally with Grand Duchess Anastasia's words in a letter "Don't forget me" and indeed we don't, the Romanov family has turned into a symbol of the many, many victims the Revolution brought.

Russell's hypothesis is that it would have been better to reform the monarchies than to abolish them violently. Austria-Hungary's demise brought endless troubles on the Balkan - Germany's pseudo-democracy brought WWII and the Holocaust - and the Russian Revolution endless bloody suppression of the people it claimed to liberate (or wanted to liberate).

Great great book. I'm probably old enough to understand and accept now that gentle change may be frustrating but less dangerous than drastic change...
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »

I finiished today Gareth Russell's "The Emperors: How Europe's Rulers were Destroyed by the First World War". I read so many books about this war and the fall of the Hohenzollern, Habsburg and Romanov autocrats - but this brought really home that revolutions bring chaos. The book closes very emotionally with Grand Duchess Anastasia's words in a letter "Don't forget me" and indeed we don't, the Romanov family has turned into a symbol of the many, many victims the Revolution brought.

Russell's hypothesis is that it would have been better to reform the monarchies than to abolish them violently. Austria-Hungary's demise brought endless troubles on the Balkan - Germany's pseudo-democracy brought WWII and the Holocaust - and the Russian Revolution endless bloody suppression of the people it claimed to liberate (or wanted to liberate).

Great great book. I'm probably old enough to understand and accept now that gentle change may be frustrating but less dangerous than drastic change...

Ah thank you for the tip and short review...I will look up this book!
fruela

Micro Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: January 14, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »

Carreen,thank you very much. Your remark is absolutely right, and so obvious that you wonder  why others  don't see it.
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: January 14, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »

Just about to finish

It's a lovely story, beautifully told.

Content in short (c&p, not my words):
Elodie is working in an archive in London when she discovers a leather satchel belonging to a pre-Raphaelite artist named Edward Radcliffe. Inside is a portrait of a beautiful woman and a sketchbook. The sketch is of a house her mother told her about in a childhood story once. Intrigued, she sets off to find out more.
The house is waiting to tell its secrets, but not quite yet, for Elodie is going to have to go to many lengths and tease the stories of many people from its walls to fill in the gaps of a missing jewel, a murder of a woman, the disappearance of another and the destroyed life of an artist more than 150 years previously.

So for whom do I recommend it?
If you love the books of Susanna Kearsley, then this is absolutely yours.
If you are into mysteries and history, too.
And if you wanna simply read a book with a captivating story in different layers about a rather unusual topic, buy it, too.
thecrownjewelthief

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:33 PM »

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow and highly recommend it! It came out last year so may have been mentioned on here before. It's long but one of those books you want to take your time with for sure - very detailed and well written.
rainbow

Baby Member

Western Sahara Western Sahara

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: Today at 11:40:22 AM »

Even the fall of communism in Eastern Europe wasn't peaceful everywhere. In Romania it was one of the most violent episodes, over 1600 deaths. It's even more frustrating there are no known authors, they were just labeled "terrorists" but strangely not even one was ever caught.  Even now, after 30 years the truth is hidden.
About the gentle change vs dramatic change it comes to the fact the institution simply refuses to reform itself, not even slightly (be it the communist party or some oppressive monarchy). So this leaves little room to people wanting to change things. If life would've been at least acceptable for the masses I don't think any of this revolutions would've been possible.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: