Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books--what are you reading & recommend  (Read 180899 times)
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: January 31, 2019, 02:43:45 AM »

Re-reading two old favorites: Ken Kesey's ``Sometimes a Great Notion,'' about a family of independent loggers along the Oregon coast...

Picked up a used book "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" at Half-Price Books. An employee shelving books said 'That's a good book. New Journalism, Tom Wolfe wrote it, Ken Kesey, the birth of the hippie movement.' So I bought it. $1. Took me forever to read it. (The "acid" is LSD.) Read Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for a uni class. Miloš Forman directed the movie based on the book and it won several Academy Awards. Jack Nicholson played Randle in the movie. Kesey was quite a character. His books have enjoyed a comeback in the last few years.

en.wikipedia.org has several entries for Kesey's life, books/publications.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »

By coincidence a while back I noticed the announcement of a new show on Fox: Passage. (a few days ago the 1st episode aired in the Netherlands) According to the info the series was based on a popular book trilogy. Well almost immediately I looked it up and noticed through my local library I had access to both the Dutch- as English version of the trilogy. Oh no, wait of the English version 1 book wasn't available, therefore I have lend the Dutch version.

Currently on my TBR pile(s):
Justin Cronin
- The passage
- The twelve
- City of mirrors
fruela

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: January 31, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow and highly recommend it! It came out last year so may have been mentioned on here before. It's long but one of those books you want to take your time with for sure - very detailed and well written.
Thanks a lot. I bought the book  after you recommended it and I'm enjoying it.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »

Recently I have read a book of a Flamish (Belgium) autor:

Serge Simonart - Klaproos.

It details about an 100+ year old man who describes his past, in particular his WWI experiences (as soldier in the Belgium army) and the effect it had later on. I started reading without expectations, but it got me at the throat and read & read until I finished the book.

I don't know if the book (already) has been translated to English, but if so this is definitely a recommendation
evilgrapefruit

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: February 28, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »

It pains me to like it because I have an irrational dislike of the author but I am finding - "Killers of the King The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I" by Charles Spencer to be well written and enjoyable.
sea_star

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: March 12, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »

I am reading The Six Wives & Many Mistresses of Henry VIII by Amy Licence.  Interesting details of his life and I am learning a lot.
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: March 29, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »

Actually reading "the subtle art of not giving a f**k" by Mark Manson

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: March 29, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »

When looking around in a budget book store I overheard a woman who told her friend to read the Helen Grace series by M.J. Arlidge. I also decided to give it a try. If I could borrow them at my local library no money etc. lost. Well I have to confess, I was hooked. Within about 2 weeks I have read about 5 of the series books (besides other various books).
Pomme

Huge Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: March 29, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »

Currently reading Kwame Anthiny Appiah's: The lies that bind, and Mary Beard's Women and Power. On my to buy list is Mary Beard's book about the Silver Caesars (12 silver ornamental dishes/cups from the late 16th century)

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: March 29, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »

Actually reading "the subtle art of not giving a f**k" by Mark Manson

Curious to know your verdict, Rita! I have that on my "maybe buy"-list at Amazon, but could not yet convince myself to hit the "add to basket"-button.

I am currently busy with some books of Don Winslow (The Power of the Dog, The Cartel, Savages, The Kings of Cool). Like his unconventional and sometimes 'dirty' style.

Also, I have just finished Paula McLain's "Circling the Sun" - biographic novel about the life of Beryl Markham, a really remarkable woman, horse trainer in Africa, and later first woman to cross the Atlantic in a plane from East to West nonstop, befriended with Tania Blixen (and bedding Finch Hutton as well ...). Good read.
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: March 30, 2019, 06:15:31 PM »

Yet it's kind of funny and direct but bitter and also have some for self disrmination..need to finish it to have better opinion though

gildinwen

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »

So I downloaded the kindle version of "Red White and Royal Blue" a book by the author Casey MCQuinston as it's going to be adapted into a show produced by Greg Berlanti and amazon and

ooooooh boy. Not a good idea.

For starters here's the synopsis :

Alex, the son of President Ellen Claremont, is close with his sister and the Veep's granddaughter. When he and rival Prince Henry of Wales are caught fighting at a wedding, it creates a nightmare that threatens relations between Britain and the United States. Damage control means a fake friendship between Alex and Prince Henry. Alex discovers what Henry is truly like beneath the facade and they end up falling in love for real, keeping their relationship a secret, while his mother seeks re-election.

She's got the US style stuff down pat, but the British Royal Family stuff? Uh-nuh. And I wouldn't mind it so much if she hadn't specifically mentioned Brexit placing it in an only semi-alternate universe to ours. And the Royal family is ....not drawn well ( and the Prince embarrassingly woke in this which uhhhhhhh no?)

If anyone wants me to do a full review I will, but I know I'm going to cringing through this when it comes to screen
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1092 on: June 12, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »

So I downloaded the kindle version of "Red White and Royal Blue" a book by the author Casey MCQuinston as it's going to be adapted into a show produced by Greg Berlanti and amazon and

Alex, the son of President Ellen Claremont, is close with his sister and the Veep's granddaughter. When he and rival Prince Henry of Wales are caught fighting at a wedding, it creates a nightmare that threatens relations between Britain and the United States. Damage control means a fake friendship between Alex and Prince Henry. Alex discovers what Henry is truly like beneath the facade and they end up falling in love for real, keeping their relationship a secret, while his mother seeks re-election.

She's got the US style stuff down pat, but the British Royal Family stuff? Uh-nuh. And I wouldn't mind it so much if she hadn't specifically mentioned Brexit placing it in an only semi-alternate universe to ours. And the Royal family is ....not drawn well ( and the Prince embarrassingly woke in this which uhhhhhhh no?)

If anyone wants me to do a full review I will, but I know I'm going to cringing through this when it comes to screen

The idea sounds nice and interesting. But it seems to me, based on your post, that it wasn't executed that well.
gildinwen

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: June 12, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »

The idea sounds nice and interesting. But it seems to me, based on your post, that it wasn't executed that well.

It's more an idealised view of what the U.S could be ( Alex's mother is a divorced woman who's running for a second term- and her children are Latino/White. Alex has latent bisexual tendancies, and well the Prince is gay, and they fall for each other after Alex thinks he's a prick (after meeting him at the Rio Olympics)  and has hated him ever since. They go from antagonistic rivals, to fremenies, to "Fake friends" to being friends and then falling in love. So it's. Every Fanfic Trope Ever. And the U.S stuff is written really well. Really well. But it's the Royal stuff that gets on my gears

there's the way because she references Brexit ( and Obama and the other U.S presidents) in the book I'm thinking "Okay so the Tories are in power and Labour is led by Jeremy or his substitute and the Tories are still the biggest party in the U.K? Because why is the heir to the throne acting Labour are in power here?)

Because at the end of the book  (spoilers ahead) When Henry ( the prince) wants to come out as gay with Alex as his boyfriend- its mentioned that the Queen Elizabeth figure ( who is called Queen Mary) once sat him down and told him as an heir to the throne ( he's the youngest of the three children which okay makes him an heir but easily someone who will once the  William analogue -Philip, Henry's older brother- is William, he and his wife even live at Ammer Hall, and Henry is well Harry , they have one sister- someone who doesn't seem to have an analogue- I can't see her being a mix of Edward or Andrew, where I can see his mother being a mix of Diana and Margaret, in the book she marries a bond actor, and seems willful and extremely supportive of her youngest son- threatens to go to parliament with her "concerns" about Mary's sensility with the implication that she'd go to Labour and ask them to put pressure on her (Mary) to either abdicate the throne ( this isn't Holland) or have a big coming out party...........

I screamed into my kindle......that's not how it *works* and it completely ignores the fact that the reason the monarchy IRL has survived for so long is because of their willingness to adapt with the times  with the Queen's one's misstep being the lack of perceived reaction to Diana's death, and even then there's a line towards the end of the book that Catherine (Henry and Philip's mother) is *gunning for the throne*. Well. Sure. She's the heir to it. But regardless looking at the real life analogue, I'm sitting here wondering, if Queen Mary never signed the same sex marriage act into law?

I dunno maybe I'm just being over protective of a version of the Royal Family, that's only two points removed from our but like- when you have the youngest brother saying he'll "abdicate" the throne so that he can be with his boyfriend, it's like......I would expect the prince to know that abdication for monarchs only?

(He's also hilariously woke, talking about the spoils of empire- and I'm like uh yay good for you, and maybe you're just more woke because of the fact you're gay and aware of the homophobic laws that were exported in the colonial era, but there's woke and then there's *Superwoke*- and I'm just not buying it, I get why he wants to stay keep his title- the tabloids have been after his sister, after the death of their father- but the fact at one point he complains about the walls of the palaces being a prison, despite you know being essentially free once his brother, starts having kids, and can give up his title and live a private life if he should choose so is *ARGH*)

Lastly (I don't know why I'm so hurt by this but anyway) the "Hahaha Henry's probably never had BBQ ribs without eating them with a knife and fork!!! Isnt that *adorable*" like I'm assuming he has since I'm assuming he you know went to uni?

There's so much more that irritates me in the book, even though it's well written and has a wonderful voice and is actually a sweet story that is a wonderful story of what could be, but again while the american side is well written the British side while well researched ( somewhat) doesn't quite work as well for me especially as it's extemely clear that The Queen is written the way she is, (closed off cruel and homophobic, mildly backward and senile) to act as a foil to the first son's family who are warm and open and welcoming.

Yeah.....no?
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: June 12, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »

Oh God, it sounds like a soap-opera in a book. Too much drama, too much word salad, too much fiction. It must be so bad that it actually ends up being addictive. I would be curious to read it. At least try to.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: